Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, sacrilege but hear me out.

First, about the car:

It is a 2017. Fully loaded with Sparco seats and CCBs. Just under 16k miles. I have two sets of Alfa wheels (silver Tecnicos, gunmetal five holes) both shod with PS4S. A few extra CF bits such as the grille, shifter, and shifter surround. Biggest upgrade is that it has the a Squadra tune and Squadra dongle. I had the ECUs cloned so I have the original ECUs so it can be swapped back to OEM in about 1.5 hours with no flash counter on the original ECUS. This would be done for warranty purposes (I also have a step by step writeup on how to swap the ECUs). Speaking of warranty, factory warranty runs till 4/29/22 but I have the Mopar extended warranty till 4/29/26 with $100 deductible and zero deductible for the tire and wheel damage. Good till 75k miles. I have the front covered with PPF and a 20% tint and black and red Coco mats. I have the title in hand. I installed a new AGM battery two months ago and did a full brake flush last year. Besides that, it is just annual oil changes

Why am I thinking about selling it? I love the car. I came from M3s and then Porsches and this is my favorite car for sure. It does everything that it is supposed to and is amazing. However, I honestly am just not using it. I put about 2k miles on it over the last two years. Yes, the pandemic didn't help but neither does having a baby and a small child that take all my time. I wash is every couple of months because it gets dusty sitting in the garage. We recently bought a class A RV and now a vehicle to tow behind it and our weekends are usually spent camping or going out on the boat so I have been questioning the need to have it especially when I have four other vehicles to drive.

With the prices of used cars being what they are, I figured I can probably get about $56k for it without the Tecnicos. I know I will miss it, but honestly, I have had it for three years which is at least a year longer than most of my cars (except my trusty RX-7 money pit that I finally got rid of a few years ago).

Is my price expectation out of whack? I would have to get at least $55k or $57k with the Tecnicos to even consider getting rid of it and I certainly could use the money for other things.

Thoughts, suggestions? Do I give in to the three-year itch?

·
Registered
39 Posts
unfortunately, prices on these( alfas) cars don't reflect market prices. (mainly because of the reputation & lot of rumors)
here is 2019 with 7k miles 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio - ~6,900 Miles, RWD Package 24P, Supersprint Exhaust, this was just couple of days ago,... as much they're fun to drive, but every time I think about owning one( besides my wife's 2020 Stelvio) dealer(very poor) network keeps reminding me that maybe I should stay away. I live in Los Angeles where there are few dealers, but all of them sucks..... that's the only down side for me to own one.....
Good luck

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,617 Posts
Maybe wait till after covid and see if you drive it more. Plus when the baby gets older the qv may become more useful than it is now with a smaller child?

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
I'm here to tell you... DON'T DO IT!

You speak of the 3yr itch? You're better than me. I usually get the itch within 8mo lol! Have no idea what that's about, but anyway...

In 2018 I sold my first QV and regretted it the very next day. I too, have BMW M cars, Porsche, and even some Ferrari, Maserati and Aston. But the QV is the one car that I cried over for 2 years after getting rid of it.

Over the course of those 2 years, I "looked" at used QVs.. showed many to my wife where each time she was like "please get it" (she was tired of my whining). Finally, January of this year I found the one I have now. It was located in Seattle, WA (I'm in South Carolina). Showed it to my wife where again, she was like "GET IT OR SHUT UP ABOUT IT".

So I got it!

Fast forward to today, I'm tempted just as you are. In this current market I've sold some vehicles that I wasn't using to Carvana and either got what I paid for it, or made a small profit. CARVANA! Not even a private-party sale. So Iran my current QV through Carvana. The offer is $50k, and I only paid $48k for it used.

However, my thought is I can sell it to Carvana, take the small profit, wait out the current market and then maybe I could get a 2019 QV for around the same price that I paid for this one. Told this plan to my wife and her response?

NO! 😂

And she's right. I'll regret it, and the plan won't work out as far as the 2019 goes, and I'll be a sorry, sad sap trying to get back into a QV.

So all that to say

DON'T SELL!

I'm keeping mine despite the temptation because I KNOW I'll regret it.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
IMHO, don't do it. If you don't need the money, do not sell it, even if you are not driving it too much. The few times you will drive it, it will pay off, as you know. And you already have all that extended warranty. On the other hand, for a 2017 to go for $56K (without counting on the Mod's and extra's), I think the depreciation would be something like $81Kx0.80x0.85x0.85x1.20 which may be an ideal trend for the past 4 years although possible. Keep it, wash it and enjoy it (in the garage!).

·
Registered
635 Posts
I think everyone has played with the idea of selling their car in this current market. Carvana is offering me 3K more than I paid for it 2 years ago..problem is, I don’t know what I would get instead and the buying price will be inflated anyway so there’s not much gains. If you don’t plan on replacing it then it’s OK but man to have a QV that’s had no issues whatsoever..just feels like a shame.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I agree with all the sentiments. I don't want a newer QV. I don't use Carplay/Android Auto on my 2021 XC90 hybrid, I purposefully plug my phone into the outlet that won't pick it up. More sound deadening and fold-down seats are not items that I value in a sports car.

I tend to like the first year of cars as they are the purest and the closest to the designers intention. As years go on, updates and improvements tend to bloat the cars and take them further away from the original. The 17s are not technically the first year but I don't think there were any changes between the 16s and 17s. Granted, the early cars had teething issues but by now those are worked out.

Around here, they tend to go in the mid 50s without Sparcos and CCBs so I'm pretty sure I can get that for it--expecially with the extend warranty. I also really like my Squadra tune and the way the car drives with it. The bright Tecnicos that I put on it only this year really make it pop. Although, I'll probably swap back to the five-holes for the winter.

I know I will regret it if I sell it, sigh. On the fence and leaning towards no. I can always post is and see if the right buyer appears. If not, it is a sign from the universe.

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
805 Posts
MM,

The devil you know is so much better than the unknown satanic POS you might buy next. As my '17 lease came due, I looked at new, used QV's and newer Ti Sport Q4's and concluded:

1) The car is already nearly perfect. No gremlins, hidden repairs, interior leather is perfect.
2) Got a bunch of goodies on it, I'd have to remove and re-install or walk away from $3K spent already.
3) I know who that 1 owner was -- me. And I pampered that car. Never missed oil change < 7500miles, current recall all up to day, firmware upgraded, new RAN radio and other successful warranty work done and perfect.
4) the RV and buyout was fair for a rarity (Ti Perf Pkg, NO sunroof, All options except for leather dash and factory 35W beams, plus the 200lb boat anchor, dangerous in a roll-over, never open the damn thing sunroof. Did I mention no sunroof.)
5) If Alfa fails in the US again, 2017's will be the most collectable, particularly if they are cherry. a Sparco, CCB, low-miles '17 might be the most non-'Ring desirable. 2020's and newer, lost the steering feel of the first issue.

And if you're still entertaining the idea, what color is your QV? DM me, and we'll chat. I'd sweeten the deal with visitation rights and the best canyon drives on the planet.

MTB

Reactions: Buba1 and maddmike

·
Vendor
3,564 Posts

First, about the car:

It is a 2017. Fully loaded with Sparco seats and CCBs. Just under 16k miles. I have two sets of Alfa wheels (silver Tecnicos, gunmetal five holes) both shod with PS4S. A few extra CF bits such as the grille, shifter, and shifter surround. Biggest upgrade is that it has the a Squadra tune and Squadra dongle. I had the ECUs cloned so I have the original ECUs so it can be swapped back to OEM in about 1.5 hours with no flash counter on the original ECUS. This would be done for warranty purposes (I also have a step by step writeup on how to swap the ECUs). Speaking of warranty, factory warranty runs till 4/29/22 but I have the Mopar extended warranty till 4/29/26 with $100 deductible and zero deductible for the tire and wheel damage. Good till 75k miles. I have the front covered with PPF and a 20% tint and black and red Coco mats. I have the title in hand. I installed a new AGM battery two months ago and did a full brake flush last year. Besides that, it is just annual oil changes

Why am I thinking about selling it? I love the car. I came from M3s and then Porsches and this is my favorite car for sure. It does everything that it is supposed to and is amazing. However, I honestly am just not using it. I put about 2k miles on it over the last two years. Yes, the pandemic didn't help but neither does having a baby and a small child that take all my time. I wash is every couple of months because it gets dusty sitting in the garage. We recently bought a class A RV and now a vehicle to tow behind it and our weekends are usually spent camping or going out on the boat so I have been questioning the need to have it especially when I have four other vehicles to drive.

With the prices of used cars being what they are, I figured I can probably get about $56k for it without the Tecnicos. I know I will miss it, but honestly, I have had it for three years which is at least a year longer than most of my cars (except my trusty RX-7 money pit that I finally got rid of a few years ago).

Is my price expectation out of whack? I would have to get at least $55k or $57k with the Tecnicos to even consider getting rid of it and I certainly could use the money for other things.

You are Mad. Mike! I don't drive mine much either but I rather be able to have that to hop into instead of some battery operated car. My last Alfa, I bought for $6,000 and kept it for 22 years, then sold it for $20,000. ;) You love the car, keep it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I quickly thought about flipping mine as well, being a '17 (build Sept '16), with the CCB's and Rosso Comp, with half red/black interior which is super hard to find. I say keep it. Like others have said if you have the means to keep it, do it, because they don't make newer ones like this anymore, especially with the CCB option which I think is super cool to have, gives it that much more exclusivity, and paired up with the Sparco seats, you sir have a winning combo, Enjoy it!

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
MY 17 just turned 25k and I've had it for 5 years this Dec.
Not even a thought about selling! when I got the itch for something I just bought. Now I have a serious itch for a 997TT,
I won't sell the Alfa to make room, I will sell something else!
You will never see a sport sedan like this again and eventually it will sink in and you will see well cared for QVs in demand, reputation be damned

·
Registered
147 Posts
I sold my 2018 QV (Rosso Comp, Sparcos, CCB, 2800 miles) for about $63K this time last year. Loved the car, ticked all the boxes except for the fact I longed for a V8. Found a final year C63 507 sedan and while I definitely miss the Alfa's beauty, the AMG makes up for it with the soundtrack.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
I sold my 2018 QV (Rosso Comp, Sparcos, CCB, 2800 miles) for about $63K this time last year. Loved the car, ticked all the boxes except for the fact I longed for a V8. Found a final year C63 507 sedan and while I definitely miss the Alfa's beauty, the AMG makes up for it with the soundtrack.
Have to agree with that...part of the reason why I don't sell my E39 M5. V8 muscle n/a motor= 😁 😁 😁

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah, I agree with all the sentiments. I don't want a newer QV. I don't use Carplay/Android Auto on my 2021 XC90 hybrid, I purposefully plug my phone into the outlet that won't pick it up. More sound deadening and fold-down seats are not items that I value in a sports car.

I tend to like the first year of cars as they are the purest and the closest to the designers intention. As years go on, updates and improvements tend to bloat the cars and take them further away from the original. The 17s are not technically the first year but I don't think there were any changes between the 16s and 17s. Granted, the early cars had teething issues but by now those are worked out.

Around here, they tend to go in the mid 50s without Sparcos and CCBs so I'm pretty sure I can get that for it--expecially with the extend warranty. I also really like my Squadra tune and the way the car drives with it. The bright Tecnicos that I put on it only this year really make it pop. Although, I'll probably swap back to the five-holes for the winter.

I know I will regret it if I sell it, sigh. On the fence and leaning towards no. I can always post is and see if the right buyer appears. If not, it is a sign from the universe.

i would keep it. not sure about your pricing because i bought mine, a late MY 2019 with same options you mentioned and 8800 miles on carsandbids for just under 61. bought it 3 months ago so same market situation as now. took me a good 6 months to find sparco/ccb package in a red/blue/white 2019+ that wasn't ridiculously overpriced. id say your car is probably worth 51-53k if i had to guess, but as others have said, unless you need the money, keep it. you already went thru most of the depreciation so a year or two from now the cars not gonna be worth that much less than it is today.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I would sell it. If you don’t drive it what’s the point? Right. Sell it while market is favorable because when it’s not and it’s worth 40k next year you will regret not selling it. Anyone telling you keep a car you don’t drive also doesn’t pay the payments for you. Letting it sit is not good for it. Like keeping a race horse in a stable it’s entire life. Sell it to someone who will appreciate it and drive it. Even selling to a dealer it will end up in someone’s hands who loves Alfa. These cars don’t sell to anyone who isn’t a fan of the brand. Simple google search will verify those sales numbers. Get top dollar and you’ll forget about the car in 6 months.

or

Put it on turo and let someone else pay for it while you own it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I sold mine at the beginning of the summer (18, 15k miles with CCB, black on black/red). Somehow the new owner didn’t change the warranty contact email so I see conversations here and there from Alfa care asking for receipt of rental/Uber… I can only assume they are having some issues with it. Made me feel confident about my decision.

As much as I loved the damn car, the many back and forth at the dealers (tried 4 of them with various level of bad, except for one that was 2 hours from me) eventually convinced me to take advantage of the market. I didn’t need a car so I wasn’t worried about the price of other cars.

I eventually bought an old Corvette C5 to go around, which I thought was super fun but incredibly slow, then sold it and bought a C6 Z06. One thing lead to another and now I’m rebuilding the engine with forged internals because moar powa.

Regardless of your decision, just don’t look back and do whatever makes your happy. I don’t think there’s a good or a bad decision, just different ones. Cars are fun, and it’s all about enjoying what we have in the moment!

·
Registered
259 Posts

First, about the car:

Put me on your list of potential buyers in case you want to sell. I’ve got a 2017 ti sport and would consider moving to same year qv. Curious where you are located?

1 - 20 of 168 Posts