Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I’ve been lurking here on and off for the past few months and finally decided to post.

I test drove a new Giulia a few months ago and enjoyed the ride, interior and style and am getting close to pulling the trigger on my purchase. I was previously looking at a c43 AMG or C450, but may settle on the Ti instead.

There is a sweet deal (locally) on a low mileage Giulia Ti that I’m considering picking up this weekend. The car has under 100 miles; it was owned for 6 months, but was barely driven. The Carfax appears clean, but I’m afraid about pulling the trigger on a car that was owned for a while with such low miles on it.

If I’m worried about this possibly being a lemon, could any of you give me any advice on what I should be looking for? I’m taking a mechanic with me to inspect.

Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
253 Posts
To my knowledge, the vast majority of issues people have had with the Giulia are pretty much all electrical and computer glitches. Serious mechanical issues seem to be very rare. So electrical issues would definitely be the thing to look for. Though if the carfax and service history look clean, I'd say it's a better chance that some rich guy bought this new Italian car to try out and just never got around to driving it. Wouldn't be the first time someone bought a fancy car and didn't end up driving it at all.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've found Carfax to be pretty worthless since there are plenty of independent mechanics and body shops who can do work and keep it from ending up on a Carfax.

·
Registered
402 Posts
It has issues. And the "oh, it's only electrical issues" is a nonsense excuse. When the dealership and Alfa Cares fail NUMEROUS times to fix the issue, or say "every Giulia has this issue," you will be wondering why you bought a car with the technology of a 2008 Dodge Dart. It is taking MONTHS to get a simple bluetooth issue and cabin smell issue resolved, due to gross incompetence by the dealership (not everyone there, but 99.9% of them) and Alfa.

And @ItaloSkier is 100% correct. CarFax is worthless.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
Bet on it

I've found Carfax to be pretty worthless since there are plenty of independent mechanics and body shops who can do work and keep it from ending up on a Carfax.
I can tell you why Carfax and service histories can be worthless. Dealers obviously know that buyers have access to this information. When they are working on a leased vehicle that will be coming back to them in 2 or 3 years, the last thing they want to do is kill the resale value. So they enter vague and misleading info in the service history.
I've had my car in 3 times for electrical glitches (went into limp mode once). I recently saw the service history that is now available on the Alfa Romeo app. Each time I brought it in, the information they entered said "miscellaneous service". Never once did they mention any actual repairs or problems. So if you look at the history, it looks like I'm just doing a bang up job keeping my car well serviced.
My car has no real problems, but the fact is that it did have electrical issues that needed to be addressed. You could never tell that by the service history.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Damien - I have a 2018 Q4 Ti Lusso. I love it. Have had it for six months and 7000 miles. Not a single issue. I just went on a 1000 mile run trip to see my mom. Did lots of hilly highway driving on the PA turnpike and on the return trip I went backroads through very rural West Virginia on very twisty and hilly country roads. It was a total blast. The Giulia handles so well you don''t have any idea how fast you are going and I never felt a single bit "out of control" doing over 90 often in the remote areas. It is a truly exceptional car. Like any car, there can be issues. My dealer has been very helpful when I have contacted them but so far I have only had an oil change.

I would recommend maybe getting a 2018 and locating one with the exact specs you want. Don't compromise. Find what you want and get your local dealer to transport it back to their place. And, take advantage of the fact that the dealers are doing very steep discounting now to get cars on the road. At the same time, 100 miles is essentially new so if you really like that one go for it. But I think I would lean heavily to a 2018 just because it benefits from a bit of added time in production for bugs to be worked out.

Get one and have fun.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If you do this (which you should ABSOLUTELY NOT) have the dealer put in writing why it was traded in, and verify, IN WRITING, the issues they know and do not know about the vehicle.

Fun fact: Apple Iphones appear not to pare properly with any of the Giulia infotainment systems. Alfa's response: run-around.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I appreciate all of your thoughtful responses.

On the site, the dealer states that it has had some light hail damage, that was repaired. The advertised price of the car isn't discounted too much. Its a few thousand more than it it would have been with the manufacture rebate. My biggest issue is the mileage (55 miles).

At the dealership the salesman told me about a customer who bought a Giulia Ti to drive until his Quad came in, so I know that sort of thing does happen.

The car I'm looking at is spec'ed exactly as I would have chosen, which is why its so appealing.

I would be moving up from a Subaru WRX (stage II) which drives well and has good performance; however, when I test drove a Guilia (AWD) at the dealership it was a blast, unfortunately, they didn't have the options I wanted and I wouldn't have been able to get their current discount if I placed an order.

Yeah, unfortunately, when things look too good to be true, they can be problematic. At the moment, I'm not sure if I'll end up test driving this one.

Although I'm also in the market for a C43/C450 which have a bit more HP, I'm still
interested in purchasing the right Giulia Ti as I LOVE the interior and the can rationalize the purchase by going stage I (engine management) to get close to 325 HP, which is all I would really want at this time.

Since there isn't an enormous discount, I think I'm going to go ahead and contact the dealer, asking them to disclose everything that they know is wrong with the car. I'll keep you updated.

Edit: Although Carfax may not be the most reliable source, it is reassuring that there were not multiple visits to the dealer to troubleshoot. This is the only entry related to maintenance in regards to the car in question:

(This was @ 24 miles)

01/15/2018 FCA US LLC Manufacturer Customer Satisfaction
Notification issued
#T57 T57- SOFTWARE AND DRIVABILITY ENHANCEMENT

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
If you do this (which you should ABSOLUTELY NOT) have the dealer put in writing why it was traded in, and verify, IN WRITING, the issues they know and do not know about the vehicle.

Fun fact: Apple Iphones appear not to pare properly with any of the Giulia infotainment systems. Alfa's response: run-around.
My iPhone 6s pairs with no issue.

Reactions: ChiGuy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Good advice. I emailed the dealer today expressing interest and I asked for written disclosure; he avoided the question in the response.

When I called him and asked that he put this in writing. He stated that what was listed on the site is all they have to disclose, and they would provide a disclosure statement upon purchase.

Not feeling very good about this one.

Its almost the end of the month. Going to see what the local alfa dealer has in inventory.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I've had my Giulia Ti Sport Q4 for a month now and it's been total bliss. I'm around 915 enjoyable and exhilarating miles in. 2018 Giulias can be had for a good price as dealers are offering really good incentives.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2017 Ti- Sport Package

I own a dark grey 2017 Ti, with red interior and sport package. I bought it last May and just passed 9,000 miles. It has been a blast to drive every day with ZERO ISSUES.

OK, the only issue I have is the attention it attracts all the time! :smile2:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have had my 2017 for one year...and would do it all over again in a heartbeat. No issues. One emissions inspection/software update but no driving issues at all. I always look for the long way home. The car is beautiful, and drives brilliantly. Go price a BMW or Mercedes (both of which I have owned) and you will find a loaded Ti is a much better value. Best car I have ever owned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I own a dark grey 2017 Ti, with red interior and sport package. I bought it last May and just passed 9,000 miles. It has been a blast to drive every day with ZERO ISSUES.

OK, the only issue I have is the attention it attracts all the time! :smile2:
That's similar to the one I'm interested in. Gorgeous combination.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Had my Q4 Ti for 7 months. Hard driving - Zero Issues.

3 iphones: X, 8s and 7s. Zero pairing problems.

Unless you find an obvious issue with the car, a several thousand dollar savings is worth it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ask to see the car's service history. Ask what kind of title it has. Ask why it is a used car - hail damage repaired by the dealer does not make a car used. Ask who the previous owner was, and call him to ask about the car. If they won't disclose any of this walk away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am considering buying a 2017 Giulia Ti Lusso with 140 miles and 1 owner. Apparently, the owner returned it after an "electrical problem" which resolved by resetting the software according to the dealer and is selling it for 10k under MSRP.

The carfax says:
FCA US LLC Manufacturer Customer Satisfaction
Notification issued

Anyone else with this issue? Should I pull the trigger?
Thanks in advance for your comments.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am considering buying a 2017 Giulia Ti Lusso with 140 miles and 1 owner. Apparently, the owner returned it after an "electrical problem" which resolved by resetting the software according to the dealer and is selling it for 10k under MSRP.

The carfax says:
FCA US LLC Manufacturer Customer Satisfaction
Notification issued

Did you find out more about this issue? Should I pull the trigger?
Thanks in advance for your comments.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
The T57 update is not the sign of an issue with the car. I'm pretty sure all owners of 2017s (I don't know about 2018s) received a notice to bring the car in for this update. It tweeks several electronic systems in the car that are supposed to improve the car's performance. It is a routine update.
I would question what the actual reason was for a car to be returned after 140 miles. The T57 update is likely a red herring.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts