Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear American Alfisti, I'm new to this forum and thinking of buying the QF. Looks like a gorgeous, quick and potentially practical family car (480l boot, same as my f30 BMW 330i). I'll be taking one on a test drive soon - hopefully extended - to see for myself, but I have a few reservations and I would be grateful to hear people's views.

1. Ground clearance. The QF has 100m. That's low. My BMW has 140mm, My friend's 911 Turbo S has 117mm, the M3 has 119mm. Tame / stock Aston Martins tend to have around 119mm. R8 had/has about 90mm which I know can be a real pain. I live in London and there are speedbumps. There is the occasional field, or muddy / rutted driveway when we go to see family in the country. Is it mad to get a car with 100mm ground clearance? Or can you mod it? A button that could raise it a few cms in different modes would be ideal...

2. Brakes. Lots of stop-start in London. Is it basically impossible to bring this car to a smooth, jolt-ish free stop? Or is it just practice? Could there be tweaks in 2018MY? would my wife kill me?

3. I want to track the car. Silverstone, Brands Hatch, go to Wales (evo triangle - that's for spirited road driving, not a track) etc. Have heard so many gripes about reliability generally, especially the LSD overheating etc (three laps of a mid size circuit and rest, repeat etc.)

That all said it is an utterly gorgeous Alfa with an utterly gorgeous engine. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Dear American Alfisti, I'm new to this forum and thinking of buying the QF. Looks like a gorgeous, quick and potentially practical family car (480l boot, same as my f30 BMW 330i). I'll be taking one on a test drive soon - hopefully extended - to see for myself, but I have a few reservations and I would be grateful to hear people's views.

1. Ground clearance. The QF has 100m. That's low. My BMW has 140mm, My friend's 911 Turbo S has 117mm, the M3 has 119mm. Tame / stock Aston Martins tend to have around 119mm. R8 had/has about 90mm which I know can be a real pain. I live in London and there are speedbumps. There is the occasional field, or muddy / rutted driveway when we go to see family in the country. Is it mad to get a car with 100mm ground clearance? Or can you mod it? A button that could raise it a few cms in different modes would be ideal...

2. Brakes. Lots of stop-start in London. Is it basically impossible to bring this car to a smooth, jolt-ish free stop? Or is it just practice? Could there be tweaks in 2018MY? would my wife kill me?

3. I want to track the car. Silverstone, Brands Hatch, go to Wales (evo triangle - that's for spirited road driving, not a track) etc. Have heard so many gripes about reliability generally, especially the LSD overheating etc (three laps of a mid size circuit and rest, repeat etc.)

That all said it is an utterly gorgeous Alfa with an utterly gorgeous engine. Thoughts?
QF?
Is that what they are calling the Quadrifoglio in London?
Does it have a QF badge?
Is it referred to as a QF in any official Alfa Romeo print literature or AR advertising?

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Hello, first a Welcome and 2nd, buy it!

The ground clearance had been fine for me in the USA. The car handles the typical speed bumps in an okay fashion. I've going over some longer speed humps that are roughly a meter wide and thought that the center portion of the car my cat high-sided. But, the car did clear, barely. It did not scrape.
The brakes are easy to get used to. In my opinion they're not much different than a standard car. The computer is doing the braking for you digitally. Stop & start at slow speeds takes a little while to get used to as this is the most noticeable aspect of driving digitally. Though, once your sensory inputs and driving style is programmed to be digital, when you get used to the car, it is completely fine.

Just my opinion of course: But I think after running quite a few hot laps and physically burnishing the pads into the rotors caused the low speed sensation to modulate even better.

These cars are an all-around winner. Buy it!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a RWD q2 Ti. The roads in my area are pretty rough. I scrape the front lip of my car on a regular basis pulling into and out of parking lots, and on occasion due to dips in the road. I've made mental peace with it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
One issue in ordering a new QF is what wheels to select.
IMHO the 5 hole wheels are better looking and 100% on brand Alfa DNA.

The car ships with what are track tires, unless you live in southern California, you need to buy another set for sure.
So the thought might be to get two sets wheels, one for summer/track days(original tires) the other for the rest of the year.
This makes perfect sense, so which ones to order the car with and which one’s to order separately?

The 5 hole wheels are $500 option versus the standard equipment Tecnino’s.
My advice: get the Tecnico’s with the car then order the 5 hole wheels separately.
Here’s why….the price difference is staggering:

2017 ALFA ROMEO GIULIA QUADRIFOGILO OEM WHEELS (USD$)

5 Hole Wheel
- Front wheel – 6CQ44U0OAA - $590 EA
- Rear wheel – 6EB13U0OAA - $602 EA

Tecnico Wheel
- Front wheel – 6CP07690AA - $1365 EA
- Rear wheel - 6EB0PU5RAA -$1385 EA

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
One issue in ordering a new QF is what wheels to select.
IMHO the 5 hole wheels are better looking and 100% on brand Alfa DNA.

The car ships with what are track tires, unless you live in southern California, you need to buy another set for sure.
So the thought might be to get two sets wheels, one for summer/track days(original tires) the other for the rest of the year.
This makes perfect sense, so which ones to order the car with and which one’s to order separately?

The 5 hole wheels are $500 option versus the standard equipment Tecnino’s.
My advice: get the Tecnico’s with the car then order the 5 hole wheels separately.
Here’s why….the price difference is staggering:

2017 ALFA ROMEO GIULIA QUADRIFOGILO OEM WHEELS (USD$)

5 Hole Wheel
- Front wheel – 6CQ44U0OAA - $590 EA
- Rear wheel – 6EB13U0OAA - $602 EA

Tecnico Wheel
- Front wheel – 6CP07690AA - $1365 EA
- Rear wheel - 6EB0PU5RAA -$1385 EA
...and be careful, dealers will bang you big time for wheels after the fact...I've heard 5 holes being offered for $900 each for the fronts and $1100 each for the rears...!!! Buyer beware....

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Just get the car. Test drive it, get it. Don't fret all that other stuff. Mini Coopers have survived London for over 50 years.:laugh:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quite right, but the mini cooper currently has 145mm (the original 1964 had 152mm.) The QV's 100mm is very low; I will test and see though. Thanks for the encouragement ;)

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
London can't be any worse than the New York area for lousy roads. I would think we own that title. Good luck.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The QV is well worth getting and makes you look forward to driving it every day. You learn to be careful with the front lower spoiler and parking spots, but you get used to it. The brakes you will get used to, the feel is a little different but over time even braking at lower speeds is no big deal. Mine has about 5000 miles on it now with no issues and no complaints, I would buy it again in a second. No regrets .....

·
Registered
526 Posts
My opinion would be no Q for you. I just don't think it would fit your overall needs.

Buy the 2WD Ti or the 4WD Q4 and with the cash left over, buy a jeep.

To my knowledge, it would be an expensive proposition to raise a Q if possible at all. And remember the front "spoiler" lowers at like 35 mph.

Brakes definitely have a different feel but most folks here have seemed to have gotten a handle on it.

Any Giulia is track capable if that's the way you want to go.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
What are you waiting for ? :surprise:

·
Registered
32 Posts
The brakes being an issue on these cars are way overblown. I got used to them right away, and I switch between my QV and SUV daily with no issue. It took more time to get used to the power of the car at low speeds and being able to modulate the gas pedal below 40mph, but that's also not an issue anymore.

I've had no issue with bottom clearance, but overall getting a feeling of the distance of the car from all sides is not trivial. I maneuver better with my large SUV and I'm always super conservative with the QV. The QV has sensors in the front and back and they help as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I commute from St Albans to Central London every day and you're right to be concerned about the ground clearance. Waze takes me through many residential streets that are all festooned with speed bumps, if you are careful you're OK, but you will piss off the white van drivers by driving very slowly. The full width ones are OK (if you drive slowly) it's the nasty lump variety that cause the problem, you need to put one wheel on them.

The brakes are fine in stop / start traffic. They are far from the best feature but you get used to them. Also the stop/start feature is a bit random but there are tricks to that too, like soft application of the brakes prevents the engine stopping. After a while it becomes second nature.

As for reliability, mine was one of the first in the UK (Jan 15th), I have done 10,500 miles and it's been faultless. There have clearly been issues but it hasn't affected all cars.

Don't let any of this put you off, it's a fantastic car, buy one now.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I commute from St Albans to Central London every day and you're right to be concerned about the ground clearance. Waze takes me through many residential streets that are all festooned with speed bumps, if you are careful you're OK, but you will piss off the white van drivers by driving very slowly. The full width ones are OK (if you drive slowly) it's the nasty lump variety that cause the problem, you need to put one wheel on them.

The brakes are fine in stop / start traffic. They are far from the best feature but you get used to them. Also the stop/start feature is a bit random but there are tricks to that too, like soft application of the brakes prevents the engine stopping. After a while it becomes second nature.

As for reliability, mine was one of the first in the UK (Jan 15th), I have done 10,500 miles and it's been faultless. There have clearly been issues but it hasn't affected all cars.

Don't let any of this put you off, it's a fantastic car, buy one now.
Good advice. Question for you: why wouldn't you turn off the stop-start feature every time you get in the car. I always do and if I forget once in a while, the very first time it engages I turn it off. For the tiny amount of gas it saves it's just not worth it anyway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Generally I like start / stop, I don't like the engine burning fuel while the car is stationary. Maybe I'm weird. It's not as well executed as the Audi I had previously but it's more of a challenge.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
How can asking the starter to actuate and reactuate and the inertia required to stop and start the kinetic movement of engine components be good for their long term wear and tear ? I get it that engine tolerances are insane nowadays but conceptually I can't wrap around my car spontaneously stoping and starting while I'm driving (even if I'm standing still)....D

·
Registered
641 Posts
Generally I like start / stop, I don't like the engine burning fuel while the car is stationary. Maybe I'm weird. It's not as well executed as the Audi I had previously but it's more of a challenge.
Haha...I just realized you are in the U.K. (I'm an expat living in New York). With the outrageous fuel prices in Blighty, I guess I can better understand why you are conflicted. Another thing that bugs me when I'm back in England is the proliferation of speed cameras. I would be very frustrated driving a high performance car in most places there.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts