Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a 20017 Jaguar XE R Sport. That car was rear ended and it may be a total loss. Previous to the Jag was an Audi S4. I like the looks of the Giulia Ti. I looked on this forum last night and was surprised about the number of issues folks are having. I live in the west side of Los Angeles close to the Santa Monica Alfa dealer. Any comments?

Thx

·
Registered
460 Posts
People who've bought cars with the updated April software don't report issues, and people with pre-April cars, but who've received the required software updates (like me), have had very few remaining issues. I have had zero issues. Bought a March '17 build car and received seven RRT updates shortly after taking delivery. Car's been flawless.

There are several threads which will give you the ins and outs of the software issues, and fixes. As well, there are at least a couple polls which address problem/owner satisfaction. You'll see that overwhelmingly people are happy with this car. Of course you have the exceptions, as you will find always and everywhere.

Good luck with your decision. I love mine. Best sedan I've ever driven, even better than my '03 330i ZHP which I had thought the pinnacle of sports sedan driver's car perfection.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx for the reply. I have yet to drive the car yet. I am really looking forward to seeing how it feel on the road.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you live near a dealer, then it is no issue. The car is under warranty. Do not pay attention to people on this site unless you feel the issues they are bringing up are major. If one issue is reported here, that does not mean 1,000 other Giulia owners have the same issue. Most of the people you find on forums are very nitpicky. It is why they are on the forum in the first place.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,100 Posts
Test drive the Giulia and see what you think. I personally think the Giulia's appeal goes beyond its appearance.

What a great world we live in where we can choose between Jaguars, Alfa Romeos, Audis, BMWs, MBs, Infinitis, Lexi, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
hey welcome! Looked at both of those cars myself and was won over by the Giulia after the test drive. I've had zero issues with mine as have many but obviously that's no guarantee for any kind of reliability yardstick... as you know there's lemons in every manufacturer. Don't forget a warranty is going to cover anything as in any other new car but it's down to your dealer experience and how quick/often issues occur if any.

Let us know what you think after the test drive.

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
815 Posts
My 2 cents...

Heard about the Giulia after my friend saw it at the NYC Auto show in 2016, and began my research in December last year. No Alfa in my town (Denver) until April past. I was chomping at the bit to drive one, and when the first cars hit town, got my test drive. Dealership was very helpful to let me drive it more than around the block. Ran the car through some curves during my test and went BONKERS for it.

Drove it on Friday mid-April (cars had come in that Tuesday), and Leased it (with a so-so deal) the next day. Here's my 5 month synopsis, warts and all:

1) Week one, drove the **** out of the car (almost 400 miles, with no long trips). Threw a check engine light (CEL) on day 4, requiring a trip to the dealership early week 2. Shop cleared the light, but didn't perform any TSBs (software upgrades) since I didn't know about being specific with my issues.

2) Week 2, 2nd CEL, which was fixed with a TSB and helped by the Forum instruction on how to report my problems. Shop put in 2 updates (AC and ECU)... car has been perfect since, except for "Infotainment wart" (see below) which was a known defect with 10 digit voice dialing, Nav and Dipstick issues.

3) Last 5 months, bliss, BLISS, B L I S S ! !. Clocked 5,100 add'l miles. No issues. Car has performed flawlessly. My driving is 50% work related/daily driver stuff and 50% joy-riding. Majority of fun driving is spirited canyon driving in the Denver front-range with 40-80 miles loops running up and down the twisty 5500ft - 10,000ft elevations near my home.

- Worked on 0-60 performance driving, getting schooled by Forum comrades on "non launch control" Q4 takeoffs. Got my times into the low 5's, with a 5.0 best time. My car is totally stock, with a summer tire upgrade in July. Brought my D mode skidpad up to 1.01G's after the new rubber (Firestone FireHawk 500 225R40 19's). Kick-butt!!

- Have had rediculous fun cornering this Ti Sport Performance Package, and am amazed at the Limited Slip Differential and Active Dampening option. In the turns, this car gives Audi S4's a run for their money and waxes the A3/A4, 330ix, Merc 300's and Tuner kiddy drifters.

- Last month got the Infotainment upgrade, and 4 other updates, including "Glove box recall/replacement" which corrected 10 digit iPhone dialing, fixed dipstick readability, updated and improved Nav, added new presets, drastically improved the HK audio quality, and put a bigger smile on my already smiling face.

- Fanboy yes. Unabashedly so. Without a doubt, this car is the most fun I've had since 1992 when I sold my Ford Taurus SHO and Fiat X-1/9 to become a Dad. Now as an "empty nester" I'm plotting my Centerline Corsa/Magnaflow cat-back exhaust upgrade to eliminate my only lasting complaint -- This car is WAY TOO QUIET! May also get one of the accelerator enhancers to reduce pedal lag, which has required me to know in advance when I want to GO. ECU map is tempting, but I don't want to void the factory warranty.

My heartiest recommendation, be it a Q4 or just Ti, is to get the Sport Ti Performance Package to add the LSD and active dampeners. Best $1200 I ever spent.

Come join the fun,

Reactions: Alfaholico and Alan

·
Registered
138 Posts
Purchase my TI Q4 in April it has a build date of March of 17, 3600 miles on it and the only problem was the sunroof not working but it was a quick fix at the dealership no more than 20 minuets. Two weeks ago Several updates were installed for the rough idle and the infotainment system. I read a lot of reviews on this site about the radio not sounding "good" but personally it sound fine to me, also some complaints about no apple play or android auto never used the anyway. The navigational system is not the greatest no traffic alerts but it gets you to your destination. I came out of a Ford Taurus 2008 SHO which had 130k and now my son has it a college, I love the alfa I have it in the russo red with the cream interior (probably should have gone with the darker color , next time) you will enjoy driving the car and the power is great, handling is perfect . Good luck take one for a ride and see for yourself

·
Registered
21 Posts
Purchased my TI in June. Have 5000+ miles on it. No problems what so ever. Have loved every minute driving it ( except bumper to bumper traffic). Drive over Santa Cruz Mtns 4-5 days /week and it holds the road beautifully. Averagiing 29-31 mpg with mostly highway miles. Don't love the runflat tires but that is another story. Overall a good solid, fun drive.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Picked up mine in late August, from Rodrigo and Glendale (THE place to go get your car). The car now has about 1400 miles. No issues at all. However, I must admit that at around 400 miles, there were a couple of episodes of the front brakes making clunking noises under hard braking, and a single occurrence of "Service Dampers" in the instrument display. Both those "issues" have disappeared. Everything in the car just works! Mechanically and aesthetically. I see that you're in Santa Monica, DO NOT bother with them. I contacted them during the search for my car. Their "offers" were comically way off from other dealers.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Purchase my TI Q4 in April it has a build date of March of 17, 3600 miles on it and the only problem was the sunroof not working but it was a quick fix at the dealership no more than 20 minuets. Two weeks ago Several updates were installed for the rough idle and the infotainment system. I read a lot of reviews on this site about the radio not sounding "good" but personally it sound fine to me, also some complaints about no apple play or android auto never used the anyway. The navigational system is not the greatest no traffic alerts but it gets you to your destination. I came out of a Ford Taurus 2008 SHO which had 130k and now my son has it a college, I love the alfa I have it in the russo red with the cream interior (probably should have gone with the darker color , next time) you will enjoy driving the car and the power is great, handling is perfect . Good luck take one for a ride and see for yourself
That's the exact same color combo I want; Russo Red with the Crema light wood interior. What issues are you having with it?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am leasing so I am not worried about it, nor should you. The early adopters had teething issues like with any first year vehicle. Mine has been issue free as many of the bugs from the early production runs are ironed out. I LOVE IT and you will too!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ti Q4 June build, 3,500 miles; perfect. I'm in love with Giulia!

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have ~3200 miles on my Ti, no issues, love it.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Came out of an S5 and now in a Quad....Audi (was a 2012-last of the V8's) felt VERY HEAVY at the low end in contrast...definitely was a nice ride with a nice interior but the Alfa is in a different league...

Reactions: SDdreamer
1 - 16 of 16 Posts