Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport
34 Posts
Not sure how people get caught up on the oil change. It's not like this car has 10W-40 in it. It's synthetic. It's designed to be good for 10k miles. I had an Acura RSX. Changed the oil every 10k. Car lasted 350k miles.
There is a theory that the oil pumps have a relatively high failure rate on this platform due to the oil getting dirty relatively quickly based on the engine being a high performance, direct injection and turbocharged one. The thought process is keeping the oil fresher (i.e. more clean) with more frequent changes does not allow any dirt/grime/debris to foul up the oil pump. Perhaps 5k changes is a bit aggressive but 7.5k should be the norm as opposed to 10k.

· Registered
2017 Giulia QV Rosso Competizione
582 Posts
Apparently it's a common problem with the 2.0 engine according to my local Alfa service mechanic. Our Stelvio one went a few months ago.

· Registered
2019 Lipari grey Ti Sport Q4
56 Posts
I nearly bought in 2017 and got spooked by recalls when i live 4 hours away from the closes dealer. Got an S3 and loved it, and some idiot totaled me sitting at a relight a few weeks ago. So now I feel like I want to try something new and this has been on my mind for a while. Looing at the TI Sports

Any insights on this car you guys see both good and bad would be appreciated! Going to ship it from NY to OK which will be a pain but hopefully worth it.

Used 2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti For Sale | Westbury NY

To add, the other Giulia I am considering Dallas to Tulsa is much easier.. - Used 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia | EchoPark

Thanks!
If the 5k money difference isn't a problem than get the 2020 for sure. Basically same options, color is way better and certified extended warranty.

· Registered
94 Posts
I had an Acura RSX.
Changed the oil every 10k.
Car lasted 350k miles.
Last time I checked, the engine in the RSX and the engine in the Giulia were not the same engine.
Just because you changed the oil in THAT engine every 10k miles, and never had an issue with it for 350k miles doesn't mean that you can get the same exact results from the Alfa's engine.

· Registered
892 Posts
There is a theory that the oil pumps have a relatively high failure rate on this platform due to the oil getting dirty relatively quickly based on the engine being a high performance, direct injection and turbocharged one. The thought process is keeping the oil fresher (i.e. more clean) with more frequent changes does not allow any dirt/grime/debris to foul up the oil pump. Perhaps 5k changes is a bit aggressive but 7.5k should be the norm as opposed to 10k.
Is this the same issue as the timing cover leak?

I got my first service done at 9k miles and now second one at 18k miles. My SA pointed out the timing cover leak and repaired it under warranty; I'm picking it up tomorrow actually. Still shocked such a new car can develop this issue at such low mileage. Could waiting 9k miles between intervals have had an impact?

I've heard 5k mile intervals for QVs but for 2.0s I assumed 10K is pretty standard. But clearly some shit went wrong with my car as a result.

· Registered
566 Posts
I bought my 2018 Giulia ti Lusso Q4 as a CPO from Westbury AR in early 2021. They were straight forward and easy to deal with. I would buy from them again. See if FCA will extend the Max Care plan out to 8 years (for some additional $) so you get the additional 4 years beyond the expiration date of the factory warranty. Good luck.

· Registered
155 Posts
How did a car with a 12k mile service interval get Certified?
I would double check that it is actually certified, and the warranty hasn't been flagged by Alfa Romeo due to insufficient services.
I was wondering the same thing. Sure it has 3 under 30k but the one at a 12k interval is enough to cause problems with Alfa if there is a big problem later.

I agree double checking to make sure it's under warranty would be prudent.

· Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for this! I am sending a Pre purchase inspector to check it out for me today. It does seem like it has all the upgrades and that color combo is really rare and I love it. I will mention the oil changes to the dealership!

And the 2019 is marked as sold for me on hold!
I’ve put over 30,000 miles on my 2018 TI sport and other than some performance mods that I chose to put into it. It’s been one of the most reliable cars I’ve ever owned things don’t break down runs great more fun to drive than a Porsche Panamera 4S I don’t know what more to say fantastic car, one of the best ever built.

· Registered
4 Posts
I nearly bought in 2017 and got spooked by recalls when i live 4 hours away from the closes dealer. Got an S3 and loved it, and some idiot totaled me sitting at a relight a few weeks ago. So now I feel like I want to try something new and this has been on my mind for a while. Looing at the TI Sports

Any insights on this car you guys see both good and bad would be appreciated! Going to ship it from NY to OK which will be a pain but hopefully worth it.

To add, the other Giulia I am considering Dallas to Tulsa is much easier.. - Used 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia | EchoPark

Thanks!
Glad you're OK. The S3 is a great cat, but in my opinion the Giulia is a step above. In handling, looks and performance. The 2020 is even better with the updated interior and by then all the recalls and software updates have been done.

· Registered
252 Posts
Whelp, I'm the dummy that drives his car hard and changes the oil every 10k miles. I'm at 42k miles on MY2017... wish me luck :oops:

My car is the MC Blue, brown interior, and dark 5 holes, but with red calipers. She looks like a winner to me, hope you get it!

· Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
10,006 Posts
Whelp, I'm the dummy that drives his car hard and changes the oil every 10k miles. I'm at 42k miles on MY2017... wish me luck :oops:
As intended/designed?

· Registered
28 Posts

Thanks!
I was concerned about recalls as well but went ahead and bought a 2017 Q4 TI Sport with 3K miles on it. It now has 25,800 miles on it and has been flawless. I love it and encourage you to go after the 2020. You might consider the extended warranty. I bought one and have not needed it but good peace of mind knowing I have it. Good luck!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts