Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All, I thought I'd share a fun anecdote...

I was on my way home last week after a spirited drive through the Peninsula hills (King's Mountain Road, etc.), on a street near my neighborhood, where I passed a group of boys (11-13 age range, I'd guess) on bicycles as I slowed down to stop at a stop sign. The boys, being boys, rode right by and right through the stop sign without slowing down. I noticed a couple of them looking at my car closely as they passed, and they seemed intrigued. So I decided to give them a quick "demo" ... once I had dutifully come to a complete stop, I launched. The QV roared and farted through several gears as I passed the bikers, and I could see from their reactions in my rear view mirror that at least a couple of them appreciated the demo. You know how boys like their cars.

Anyway that was it, and I turned into my neighborhood, then onto my street and into my driveway. Usually I pull into the garage, but this time I didn't, so the car was still out and visible. As I unloaded some stuff from the trunk, I heard some voices up the street, and turned to see that it was the same group of boys on their bikes, so they were apparently neighborhood kids. I distinctly heard one of them call out to his friends, "Hey, there's that Giulia!..."

Not only did the kid know what kind of car I was driving, but he was excited enough about it to draw his friends' attention to it. It definitely gives me hope for the next generation, and for Alfa Romeo!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Nice story there is hope, at that age i would think it would only be mustangs, camareos and challengers for them and oh yes corvettes lol.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,472 Posts
Similar experience on my way home from work tonight. I stopped at a store, and there was a group of boys, maybe fourteen years old?, ahead of me at the register. When I got back to my car they were standing in front of it and arguing. I walked slowly and eavesdropped. One of them pointed to the grille emblem and said "see, it says Alfa Romeo". I get to it and they say "yours?". "Yup, great car" I answered. I gave it a blip as I started it and backed out of my parking space. I can only imagine what the sound of a QV would have done to them.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,428 Posts
I encountered someone today in their mid 20s who knew of Alfa. I was surprised

·
Registered
94 Posts
My two favorite reactions so far..

Driving slowly through a small town residential neighborhood, I saw a boy on the side of the road, eight or nine years old, straddling his bicycle. As I approached, he smiled and gave me a big thumbs up!

Driving through a road construction site, a worker yelled, "Look, an Alfa Romeo!".

·
Registered
460 Posts
I get far more attention from kids than I do adults. Whether it's when picking my boy up from school or driving through a neighborhood where kids are playing, kids (fair to say almost always boys) stare and point at the car like it's an exotic. I assume it comes from learning about Alfas on Forza, Gran Tourismo, etc. This is why I think an exotic halo car is a good idea; it draws in kids who don't care at all about what's affordable or practical, but what is "cool." In time, having had an affinity for the brand fostered in them, they'll get into a Giulia or 4C even if they'll never afford the 8C they drove in the video game (when I was a kid it was bedroom wall posters; now it's video racing games).

Reactions: August

·
Registered
501 Posts
I had a similar experience at a local pharmacy. Was running a quick errand, and as I parked a car filled with teenagers strolled by down the street and a couple of the kids yelled "Sweet Alfa Romeo!!"

·
Registered
4,428 Posts

·
Registered
4,428 Posts

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
798 Posts