Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the facts of my case: (2107 Quad)

1. I have had 3 throttle errors in 3 months, the last resulted in a complete engine shutdown on the highway (before you start giving me possible solution: it has all the latest software updates, its not brake / throttle related and its not a loose battery connection)
  2. I opened a star case with Alfa premium support
  3. Alfa service has had my car for 2.5 weeks with no diagnosis of the cause of the shutdown of the engine. Diagnosis shows that the car is operating normally
  4. Alfa Romeo has essentially put my car in quarantine instructing the dealer to not even open the door with out their consent
  5. They are now randomly replacing parts starting with the fuel pump in the gas tank
  6. The new part comes in, the dealer tries to install it and damages the fittings in the gas tank because Alfa has redesigned the pump, did not tell the dealer they did so and did not send the adapters to properly install it. we are now waiting for new parts to arrive
  7. The dealer tells me that he has no idea if the pump is the cause of the issue or that it will fix the problem, but he will need to drive my car 250 to 300 miles to see what happens.
  8. Here is the best part: I have never received a single call from Alfa customer service, NOT 1, I truly believe that if it were not for me calling them I would never had heard from them. The people you speak with are just operators who have no authority and no ability to give you any information. They told me my case has been escalated to a special team (alfa Illuminati), but they are unable to give me a name or number to call to talk to one of these special team people. Last Wednesday I was assured by the useless customer service team that a member of the special team would call me no later than yesterday afternoon.... no call. I call yesterday evening and useless customer service tells me the Alfa Illuminati in fact did call me and left me a message ( never happened) but he assured me they will call by noon today... noon was 30 minutes ago
  9. There are so many great car companies out there with great customer service an products I strongly suggest you stay away from this vehicle. Once this gets in to the press the value of our vehicles is going to be 0

·
Registered
57 Posts
If things don't get moving, start contacting people up the chain directly. Find out who the relevant managers are for Alfa North America (e.g. use LinkedIn) and email them. The format is normally [email protected]. Then failing that, try the Italians in Milan. Include case references etc.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
sorry to hear it - I'd suggest if you haven't already putting a post on their social media pages - that usually gets their attention pretty quick too.

Pity they can't give you another one while they tinker around

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry to hear it - I'd suggest if you haven't already putting a post on their social media pages - that usually gets their attention pretty quick too.

Pity they can't give you another one while they tinker around
They gave me a base Giulia

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Least that's a decent car but still... I won't preach to the choir :)

not sure if it's of any use but did a quick google on warranty breach and looks like they only have three attempts which maybe why they've locked it down and has to be in a 'reasonable' amount of time else they owe you some $$$. Food for thought maybe.

Do I Have A Breach Of Warranty Claim If My Vehicle Was Finally Repaired?
The breach of warranty laws require the manufacturer to repair the vehicle within a reasonable period of time. As a general rule, if the dealership took more than three repair attempts, even if the car was ultimately repaired, you still have a breach of warranty claim.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If things don't get moving, start contacting people up the chain directly. Find out who the relevant managers are for Alfa North America (e.g. use LinkedIn) and email them. The format is normally [email protected]. Then failing that, try the Italians in Milan. Include case references etc.
I 2nd this. I would go to the Alfa USA site and find as many individuals as I can to escalate the issue.

Reactions: Carmdale

·
Registered
57 Posts
I 2nd this. I would go to the Alfa USA site and find as many individuals as I can to escalate the issue.
I think you should target it carefully to the most relevant one or two roles, at least at first. If you spam everyone, they can all file it under someone else's job and ignore it.

For what it's worth, I took this approach with Alfa UK and I got a response, although not related to service and not the response I wanted.

·
Registered
440 Posts
They told me my case has been escalated to a special team (alfa Illuminati), but they are unable to give me a name or number to call to talk to one of these special team people. Last Wednesday I was assured by the useless customer service team that a member of the special team would call me no later than yesterday afternoon.... no call. I call yesterday evening and useless customer service tells me the Alfa Illuminati in fact did call me and left me a message ( never happened) but he assured me they will call by noon today... noon was 30 minutes ago
Truly, it's sucks to read your plight.

And this is my concern with Alfa trying to re-establish itself in the USA against BMW, Audi, etc. It's not going to happen unless it changes its overall customer service.

I do hope it works out for you.

[I have to admit: "Alfa Illuminati". LOL. Good stuff.]

Reactions: Carmdale

·
Registered
646 Posts
Service starts at the top.

When Reid Bigland was appointed CEO of Maserati Alfa brands, I knew Alfa was in trouble.

The 4c US launch was a bona fide disaster and that was under the direct control of Bigland (before he became CEO of the brand). Yet he got a promotion for his great efforts.

Just like any other industry or big corporation, sometimes incompetence rises to the top. Alfa and Maserati are lead by someone without ability to build brands that rely on "customer experience."

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,383 Posts
At a company with good internal communications run by people who care about their products and customers, someone would be very embarrassed. Apparently not at FCA, sadly. And hearing that an executive or manager has been fired does no good if your car still isn't right.

It's disheartening to hear about hack "parts replacers" in a day when cars should all have effective on-board diagnostics (which should, theoretically, communicate with the mother ship without the inconvenience of having to go to a dealer). From the description of your experience, it's highly likely that new issues are being created while they seek to resolve the original problem.

I wish you luck and have my fingers crossed that those who haven't experienced any problems never do. My dealer's service department isn't even at their showroom location, Instead, it's at their Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram store miles away (one that I stopped going to when the one salesman I liked left over what I consider to be an unfair labor practice). I'm not optimistic that anyone there speaks the Giulia's language fluently.

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Service starts at the top.

When Reid Bigland was appointed CEO of Maserati Alfa brands, I knew Alfa was in trouble.

The 4c US launch was a bona fide disaster and that was under the direct control of Bigland (before he became CEO of the brand). Yet he got a promotion for his great efforts.

Just like any other industry or big corporation, sometimes incompetence rises to the top. Alfa and Maserati are lead by someone without ability to build brands that rely on "customer experience."
Remember Laura Soave? She was shown the door when the Fiat 500 launch went poorly. Was she really the problem, or is it easier to fire someone than fix the underlying problems? Speaks bundles about FCA's corporate culture, IMO.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Not good at all jeffshul.

This sounds a lot like what I went through with my 4C, except I was able to drive it while they scratched their pumpkins and did seemingly nothing.

According to the old-timers in my local Alfa Club, nothing has changed. This is how Alfa did things forty years ago.

I'm sorry for your troubles and don't have any real words of encouragement for you. If AR continues this path they're on, they will be be out of the US again. As you said, how can a car owner recommend to anybody to buy this car when the only experience you've had is a bad experience. All it would take on the part of Alfa Romeo is a few words of communication with you and you would feel better about the whole thing.

When my 4C was down and they were doing this to me, I raised a big stink. I think somebody lost their job. But, that person was just a lowly Pawn, not an important Bishop.

If AR was to buy your car back, would you buy another Giulia or brand X?

Buying your car back now so you can drive without concern while they spend countless months throwing darts at the problem would be a good move on their part.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not good at all jeffshul.

This sounds a lot like what I went through with my 4C, except I was able to drive it while they scratched their pumpkins and did seemingly nothing.

According to the old-timers in my local Alfa Club, nothing has changed. This is how Alfa did things forty years ago.

I'm sorry for your troubles and don't have any real words of encouragement for you. If AR continues this path they're on, they will be be out of the US again. As you said, how can a car owner recommend to anybody to buy this car when the only experience you've had is a bad experience. All it would take on the part of Alfa Romeo is a few words of communication with you and you would feel better about the whole thing.

When my 4C was down and they were doing this to me, I raised a big stink. I think somebody lost their job. But, that person was just a lowly Pawn, not an important Bishop.

If AR was to buy your car back, would you buy another Giulia or brand X?

Buying your car back now so you can drive without concern while they spend countless months throwing darts at the problem would be a good move on their part.
I will buy a C63s coupe, I would not buy another FCA product again. Thank God Ferrari spun off.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Jeff,

Been following your experience and I'm absolutely sorry to hear. I'm not sure why you were treated this way.

I've had my car for 2 months, went to the dealer for an issue for 2 weeks, alfa premium care called me every other day to check in and ask how dealership was doing. After a week AR sent their regional technician in. The dealership was very impressed with the guy. Parts were always overnighted and they thoroughly tested it, invited me on test drives. Last week after all was fixed they offered a compensation package which was very generous.

I really thought it's a dealer by dealer issue for care. You've escalated pretty far and still unfortunate.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

·
Registered
7,383 Posts

Amazing how such mediocrity can transcend time and people. Part of Alfa's DNA? Design well, build badly, sell slipshod, and service horribly seems to be the mantra.

The days of independent garages are gone. A newly-introduced car almost has to go back to a dealer for service and repair. But that dealer's staff needs to have the proper training, equipment, and attitude.

I suspect Jeff is gone whether or not AR buys his car. They've already lost him and won't get a second chance.

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Fiat owns Ferrari as well as Alfa Romeo. Marchionne is trying to get Ferrari in the mass production lane.
While Ferrari was spun off into a separate entity (stock symbol RACE) last year, Sergio is still at its helm.

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
My vehicle quality feedback survey came from FCA's NAFTA quality boss, Scott Garberding.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've had my car for 2 months, went to the dealer for an issue for 2 weeks, alfa premium care called me every other day to check in and ask how dealership was doing. After a week AR sent their regional technician in. The dealership was very impressed with the guy. Parts were always overnighted...
Similar to my experience with my 4C. Sorry to hear that the service delivery mechanism does not provide uniform quality.

This is how Alfa did things forty years ago.
I owned and enjoyed Alfas forty years ago. The difference is, then problems were mechanical in nature and easily diagnosed and addressed. Now with software and electronics we are dependent upon the manufacturer's dealership infrastructure to maintain the increasingly complex systems that control the operation of our vehicles. Not a huge issue with a toy like the 4c, a totally different matter with a daily driver.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0
104 Posts
After hearing all this.. whoever is reading this, will you still stick to Alfa and take your chances? or if you have the chance, change to some other company in few years?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts