Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just finished my first long trip in the Quad. About 800 miles or so round trip from MA to PA. Suspension in soft or full A mode was fantastic. In A mode I got about 22.1 mpg on the way home. Very stable and gobs of torque down low at cruise rpms. Grab a paddle for a lower gear no problem. And with the Forza controller installed, the sound is great too. And the mild drone is not too loud at highway speeds. The road noise balances it out. And it also can serve as a deer warning "horn." We had a lot of drizzle and light rain last week on the way down and the whole time I was in PA. The only thing I could criticize is the lack of a good intermediate setting on the wipers between low intermittent and rain sensitive. The drizzle seemed to require something in between. But it was no problem to just tap the lever to pulse the wipers. My headlight washer covers stayed on the car the few times I actually deployed them so I was happy about that. It shouldn't be a problem for the 2018s anymore. I was just massively impressed with the ride quality, comfort and interior. I may have a little rattle on the passenger side now but I have to check the seat belt, glove box and my briefcase to be sure it's not a zipper making the noise. I'll try the windows too. Only noticed it this morning on the way to work. The lumbar support is pretty good but the air pump and height adjust on the 4 way switch is a challenge to get used to. It deflates much faster than it fills and I want to be sure I didn't over wind the pump or vertical adjustment. A beautiful car and really made the trip less fatiguing. All those years making the same trip in sports cars is nothing to worry about now. Adaptive cruise control is awesome. All digital and the 4 position toggle switch is genius. Used it to great effect as well as the lane departure warning and proximity sensors. It's a whole level better and then some, than the vacuum systems of 17 years ago. Love it. I even got Android Auto working with both Google Play and Google Maps. Wasn't sure it could handle all that. The real limit is your mobile data connection.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The QV has no right to be as comfortable as it is for what its capabilities are. A sedan that can lap the N-Ring faster than a Murcialago but around town and on the highway is nearly as comfortable as a mainstream luxury is pretty impressive.

I also got to try out the adaptive cruise control in earnest today and really like it. Easy to use and adjust. It pretty much eliminates all the things I hate about cruise control by being able to just keep your distance.

·
Registered
422 Posts
+1 on all the above. My daily commute involves 15 Miles on I 25. I almost never use cruise control. Tonight I set the cruise and stayed way behind the car ahead. Set the dial to A, turned on an audio book, and had an extremely relaxing drive. Once off the highway it was back to D, manual, and so much fun. I am truly smitten.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Smitten is a good word. The 8 to 9 hour drive was so restful! The old vacuum cruise control in the Miata was nice at the time, but it was always a hassle with traffic changes around cities and interchanges. The adaptive system and following distance settings really give you a huge amount of control without using your feet. The radar see open space when you change lanes to overtake and you don't have to move your feet at all! You can even just hang out in line until a spot opens up. Just amazing. And yes the suspension may be my favorite thing about the Quad. I installed my VMaxx stage 1 coil overs on my Miata and lowered it about a inch or so from stock. 16 inch ASA alloys. The stance is great but oh my, the slightest little seam goes right up your spine. But get this, the Quad has a performance suspension on it already but with adaptive and manual damper adjustments. Mid in Race mode, and Soft in D and N. I suppose A uses full adaptive and changes according to the sensor states. My front end is still sitting at 3 a finger gap. Still haven't tried pushing down on the shock towers to bounce it a bit.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I don't understand what you mean by cruiser..........

Every time I jump on mine I feel the urge to do something illegal.......... of course I refrain myself.........:grin2:

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha! I know! That makes it even more amazing. Getting on it in A mode and hearing the Forza/Alfa Dragon bellow from the open exhaust is just crazy. How can this be?! :D

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,094 Posts
Cruising at warp factor two?

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I guess using hand or finger throttle leaves your feet free for the clutch and high beam button.
We've had our current car for 80,000 miles, and the one before it for more, and neither I or my wife know how to use the cruise control, just never even tried.

·
Registered
315 Posts
This car does seem to be something of a magician with regards to the ride quality. Smooth when you want comfort and firm when you want to be stupid. I drove mine for the first time in a couple of weeks and OMG it's bonkers. 90 in N is just easy. Then when traffic starts to test your patience, over to race mode and voila....in the words of Smokey from Cars 3 "sneak through the window." (I have 3 year old watching that on repeat).

·
Registered
148 Posts
This is the exact reason I'm buying one. Had a deposit on an M3, and could NOT deal with the bouncy ride especially on horrid California roads. I can't think of a single lightweight true high performance 4 door that fits the bill except for the QV.

I have a Merc CLS55 AMG and it is absolutely amazing. In every way, shape, and form. The supercharged engine is the best I've ever had (including Ferrari's) and in fact it is as fast around a track. BUT

It's heavy and kind of big. I considered a Porsche Panamera, but same thing. Feels big. I won't have my QV for a week or two but I'm hopeful to have something fun like my 911 but quiet and compliant when needed. I'm hopeful.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
I couldn't agree more!

I drove from our shop in OK back to NY. I ran the trip straight through, it took about 23hrs from door to door. I had adaptive cruise control and lane departure on, sat back and enjoyed the trip.

Made a handful of stops for gas but that was about it. Was it a long day, sure, but it was as comfortable as it could get.

·
Registered
422 Posts
This is the exact reason I'm buying one. Had a deposit on an M3, and could NOT deal with the bouncy ride especially on horrid California roads. I can't think of a single lightweight true high performance 4 door that fits the bill except for the QV.

I have a Merc CLS55 AMG and it is absolutely amazing. In every way, shape, and form. The supercharged engine is the best I've ever had (including Ferrari's) and in fact it is as fast around a track. BUT

It's heavy and kind of big. I considered a Porsche Panamera, but same thing. Feels big. I won't have my QV for a week or two but I'm hopeful to have something fun like my 911 but quiet and compliant when needed. I'm hopeful.
I will anxiously await your thoughts after a few drives in your new Alfa. I don’t think you will be disappointed.

·
Vendor
619 Posts

I think you will be happy with the Quadrifoglio, it has lot personality and can be quite a Jekyll And Hyde with a few turns of the DNA knob. Great car for long trips and can handle everything in between with ease.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
"M3 and could not deal with"
yup, the softness of the suspension and 3 cylinder feature in wife mode were critical to getting her support in purchasing an absurdly fast vehicle. haven't even mentioned changing exhaust sounds.
she rejected the M3 in a very short test drive.
I am a little worried that the stelvio quad has stiffer springs to reduce tall leaning, but am optimistic that they struck a good balance.

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
Just finished my first long trip in the Quad. About 800 miles or so round trip from MA to PA. Suspension in soft or full A mode was fantastic. In A mode I got about 22.1 mpg on the way home. Very stable and gobs of torque down low at cruise rpms. Grab a paddle for a lower gear no problem. And with the Forza controller installed, the sound is great too. And the mild drone is not too loud at highway speeds. The road noise balances it out. And it also can serve as a deer warning "horn." We had a lot of drizzle and light rain last week on the way down and the whole time I was in PA. The only thing I could criticize is the lack of a good intermediate setting on the wipers between low intermittent and rain sensitive. The drizzle seemed to require something in between. But it was no problem to just tap the lever to pulse the wipers. My headlight washer covers stayed on the car the few times I actually deployed them so I was happy about that. It shouldn't be a problem for the 2018s anymore. I was just massively impressed with the ride quality, comfort and interior. I may have a little rattle on the passenger side now but I have to check the seat belt, glove box and my briefcase to be sure it's not a zipper making the noise. I'll try the windows too. Only noticed it this morning on the way to work. The lumbar support is pretty good but the air pump and height adjust on the 4 way switch is a challenge to get used to. It deflates much faster than it fills and I want to be sure I didn't over wind the pump or vertical adjustment. A beautiful car and really made the trip less fatiguing. All those years making the same trip in sports cars is nothing to worry about now. Adaptive cruise control is awesome. All digital and the 4 position toggle switch is genius. Used it to great effect as well as the lane departure warning and proximity sensors. It's a whole level better and then some, than the vacuum systems of 17 years ago. Love it. I even got Android Auto working with both Google Play and Google Maps. Wasn't sure it could handle all that. The real limit is your mobile data connection.
I also got to try out the adaptive cruise control in earnest today and really like it. Easy to use and adjust. It pretty much eliminates all the things I hate about cruise control by being able to just keep your distance.
+1 on all the above. My daily commute involves 15 Miles on I 25. I almost never use cruise control. Tonight I set the cruise and stayed way behind the car ahead. Set the dial to A, turned on an audio book, and had an extremely relaxing drive. Once off the highway it was back to D, manual, and so much fun. I am truly smitten.
Smitten is a good word. The 8 to 9 hour drive was so restful! The old vacuum cruise control in the Miata was nice at the time, but it was always a hassle with traffic changes around cities and interchanges. The adaptive system and following distance settings really give you a huge amount of control without using your feet. The radar see open space when you change lanes to overtake and you don't have to move your feet at all! You can even just hang out in line until a spot opens up. Just amazing. And yes the suspension may be my favorite thing about the Quad. I installed my VMaxx stage 1 coil overs on my Miata and lowered it about a inch or so from stock. 16 inch ASA alloys. The stance is great but oh my, the slightest little seam goes right up your spine. But get this, the Quad has a performance suspension on it already but with adaptive and manual damper adjustments. Mid in Race mode, and Soft in D and N. I suppose A uses full adaptive and changes according to the sensor states. My front end is still sitting at 3 a finger gap. Still haven't tried pushing down on the shock towers to bounce it a bit.
I guess using hand or finger throttle leaves your feet free for the clutch and high beam button.

We've had our current car for 80,000 miles, and the one before it for more, and neither I or my wife know how to use the cruise control, just never even tried.
This car does seem to be something of a magician with regards to the ride quality. Smooth when you want comfort and firm when you want to be stupid.
I couldn't agree more!

I drove from our shop in OK back to NY. I ran the trip straight through, it took about 23hrs from door to door. I had adaptive cruise control and lane departure on, sat back and enjoyed the trip.
The Giulia is my third car with adaptive cruise. I find myself driving even more with my fingers than I had previously, nudging speed up and down. Hitting the "Resume" button can be a WOT blast.

The suspension designers and tuners definitely worked some magic. I remember reading and hearing decades ago about French cars with soft suspensions and tenacious handling and Italian cars that clung to twisty, bumpy roads like limpets. How was that possible? Well, now I'm enjoying the same. And I have to believe it's worlds better than the Peugeots and Citroens of the 1960s and 70s.

I have also noticed the wipers often seem to be going too fast and deal with that by using manual sweeps. I've never had a rain sensor deliver the perfect speed, and the Giulia's so far is better than most.

yup, the softness of the suspension and 3-cylinder feature in wife mode were critical to getting her support in purchasing an absurdly fast vehicle. haven't even mentioned changing exhaust sounds.
she rejected the M3 in a very short test drive.
I am a little worried that the stelvio quad has stiffer springs to reduce tall leaning, but am optimistic that they struck a good balance.
"Wife mode"? LOL. I hope she doesn't see that and activate "doghouse mode".

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
along the lines of getting a good house keeping seal sticker (which she doesn't want), for her benefit, and fun, I want another little sticker, redesignating the modes as follows:

A lfa (R)
l ambo (D)
f errari (N)
a ston (A)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Overall I agree, but really wish it had less wind noise at highway speeds. And you can't cover it up with the stereo as any volume and it doesn't sound very good.

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
Overall I agree, but really wish it had less wind noise at highway speeds. And you can't cover it up with the stereo as any volume and it doesn't sound very good.
The car should be quiet. Have you had your seals/weatherstripping checked?

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
Haha! I think it sounds like a turboprop. For real! :D
and no dilithium crystals are required.

Chopper Pilot : Sir? We can't catch 'em.
Roscoe : Whaddaya mean?
Chopper Pilot : They must be doing 180. We don't even have a fixed-wing that'll go that fast!

Reactions: John_K_348
1 - 20 of 34 Posts