Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

I have a smokin' deal on a 2017 or an almost smokin' on a 2018. I like using Waze and Pandora. I guess I can bluetooth the audio in either way, but is Android Auto much better?

I suspect since the phone plugs in with Android Auto it keeps Waze from running down my battery.

Thanks!

·
Registered
554 Posts
It became much less attractive when I learned that I would have to plug the cable. I'm not really interested until it's going to be available wirelessly
Agreed. Since you have to plug your phone in, you might as well just run the Android Auto app on your phone itself. The interface is the same, you can set it to autolaunch when your bluetooth connects, and then you have a touch screen, which is better for the interface anyway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I like having Waze run through Android Auto on the car's display because I haven't figured out a convenient place to mount my phone, but it's honestly not the best implementation. Android Auto only takes up a relatively small portion of the display - not much bigger than a phone screen anyway - and the rest of the screen is blanked out with the Android Auto logo, so you lose access to the radio display while you're using navigation, even if you have split screen mode enabled for the normal in-car navigation. And trying to use Waze without a touch screen is a chore.

My vote is to take the smokin' deal and put a few bucks of the difference towards a proper solution to the phone mount problem (and then tell me what it is). Heck, you'd probably have enough left over to buy a Galaxy Note just for Waze duty.

·
Registered
747 Posts
If it was touch screen it would be great, but it is not. My wife got a navigation built in because the salesman noted no AA/ACP for the 2017s.

This is THE MOUNT for me:

It fits the 3.75 inch wide Trident cased Huawei Ascend Mate 2 of mine....

I put a pad to cushion the part that is recommended to lean on the dash to prevent any scratching of the dash. (It comes with an extra set of clamps, and I moved the two attached to the farthest position from the bottom arms and added the spares into the closest position so there are 4 clamps plus bottom arms to hold my very large phone. The pictures don't note this but there is a release button to aid in removing the phone. The arms on the sides ratchet in to clamp your phone. The bottom arms can rotate out of the way, in my case I needed to rotate one out of the way since the charge port on mine is not centered and would be blocked by one of the bottom arms).

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Haven't read through this thread really but in regards to phone mount I am a big proponent of buying a cupholder phone mount and angle the phone towards yourself ... been doing this since I got my first car and find this is a good solution (if you don't have to look down too much, just be safe, use common sense)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts