Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many, I was furious with the very poor audio performance of the HK system. It was to the point I was having trouble sleeping (how could I lease a car with such a huge lack of a major feature?).

I'm here to let everyone know my system has really improved over the past 300 miles. What used to be a very harsh, flat, poor stereo has transformed into a punchy, spacious system. I truly believe these speakers were tight from the factory and needed to be broken in.

Settings:
Treble +2
Mid +1
Bass 0
Surround OFF
Speed Sensitivity 0 or +2 (cant recall where I left it)
Speaker Bias: Rear 1 click

I still have a rattle from both front door panels. Going in Thursday to have them looked at.

Cheers! Keep your head up with this car, it grows better over time!

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
I had my doubts about other posters who made similar comments. Maybe I'm just getting used to it, but it does seem to be getting better. At least I know I have stopped feeling the need to continually adjust the audio settings. I'm just over 3,000 miles.

Part of it did involve convincing myself to turn off the surround sound as suggested on another thread. That definitely helped. Also, I turn the balance one click to the right (towards the passenger seat). And I enjoy a bit more bass than you.

But I'm liking the HK more this past month than the first month that is for sure.

·
Registered
178 Posts
This is good info. I look forward to trying this out tomorrow when I get my Giulia. Is it correct that the volume max is 38? That is what I saw on the test drive.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree, I'm 1000 miles in and with a couple hours of tweaking as I've gone along, I think the system sounds really nice...especially with the right source. I like high bitrate Bluetooth and a HDD I installed in the center console. XM and HD radio are just OK. My setup is very similar to yours and I also have buzzing in the door panels. Let me know what your dealer says/does. The rattle is back in my headliner and want to take it back to have both issues looked at.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The right source is key. Love the sound coming from my USB port flash drives, but the sound from my Bluetooth phone connection....meh. Ok sound from HD and XM.

Reactions: Alfa in Vegas

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dropped the car off at the dealer today (loaner was a base Q4). Should have it back tonight or Monday and will report back.

ChiGuy, I moved the bias right one click and love it.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
De nada

ChiGuy, I moved the bias right one click and love it.

Thanks for the acknowledgment, but I can't take credit for that suggestion. @bigk200 did some pretty elaborate testing and suggested turning off the surround sound and reducing the amount of sound reaching the driver. My solution of moving the balance one click over to the passenger is just a shortcut "cheat" on his solution.

Here's a link to the earlier thread on this topic.
http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/1001-audio-stereo/10170-how-adjust-harman-kardon-system.html

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,465 Posts
It's definitely a garbage in/garbage out system. The Beats system in my last car seemed to give a boost to everything fed into it.

·
Registered
787 Posts
320 mp3's or flac sound great. radio and sirus and some bluetooth are compressed and bandwidth limited.

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
798 Posts
after HK/infotainment upgrade…

after HK/infotainment upgrade…

i'm surprised to say that I agree there was an improved performance of the system. Sounds worlds better than the first two months of having the car. I'm going to go back and review my service log and try to see if something besides the infotainment system got upgraded.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Some audio systems and components need "burn in" time. Or at least some people claim.

Many headphone addicts unbox a new set, plug it into a source, and let it play for a day before using them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: I took the Giulia in Thursday for a speaker grill rattle. Nothing was fixed, however the service manager noted a RRT bulletin was active for the rattles and a software update for audio issues that occur when the interior chimes go off for seat belt or collision avoidance features. Apparently the radio is muted for the warning chimes and does not retain its original volume after. This is causing a lot of the low volume issues. I take the car back on 9/1 to have the RRT executed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts