Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have done pretty much all the mods performance wise on my Giulia. ECM piggyback, TCU flash, exhaust, Go pedal etc.

That being said I have changed the air filter to a BMC air filter but I am wondering if i should do anything to the entire cold air intake system. The performance gains on these are suspect at best from my experience and i have even seen a few youtube videos where folks did a before and after dyno when they swapped intakes and actually lost power. These were not joe schmoes doing this experiment these were experienced people used to wrenching on cars and doing performance work.

so i ask you. " To intake or not to intake?" that is the question.

My first inclination is that this is a complete waste of time and money but i am willing to be convinced otherwise.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I can't speak for other intakes but the V2 does help for sure. Revs builder faster and pulls harder in the mid range to redline. I didn't remove the cool air inlet and trimmed it instead. It draws the cold air directly to the filter and the air doesn't get lost and gets rid of turbulence.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Go to the Eurocompulsion website for the dyno numbers so you can compare the engine output stock vs the V2 intakes. But per their dyno results, its about 20 hp gain with their full catback exhaust system and V2 intake vs stock.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
There's no debate. Eurocompulsion's V2 is great. :D That was the first performance mod I did, and on an otherwise stock car it made a noticeable difference. Biggest improvement was overall smoothness of acceleration and trans shifts. It did free up more power, no question, but the way it smoothed everything out was the best feature for me. My second mod was Eurocompulsion's P1 tune which added even more smoothness and drivability. That's when the power really increased. Combined with the V2 intake, it feels like a different car. The performance now matches the way the car looks.

Combined with what you already have, you'll definitely notice an improvement with the V2. The improvements aren't subtle either; it's not where you have to really focus to try and feel if there's any difference. It's immediate, and it's noticeable.

·
Registered
876 Posts
i got my self a v1 cause paying extra 150$ for filter i already have and a silicone hose with a bracket i can make my self i dont find worth it, i like to wrench and fab stuff my self :D

·
Vendor
1,203 Posts
If you want to start looking into Cold Air intake Systems then our new MAXFlow should be right up your alley.

It keeps the BMC filter sealed and hooks into the factory scoop from the bumper grill so that you don't suck in hot air from the engine bay. It is also made from 100% carbon fiber. So not only does it perform well it also looks great!

https://madnessautoworks.com/Alfa R...system-w-bmc-twin-air-connical-filter-pid7945

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
V2 all the way.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I will have to give it some thought. I have seen the video on EC for their V2. Not a big fan of the wooosh sound on this particular car. Might need to go with V1 instead.
V2, the whoosh sound is minimal but makes me smile when it happens>:)

Reactions: BobM

·
Vendor
1,203 Posts

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Is there any dyno (or other) data to show the EuroCompulsion V2 intake increases horsepower and/or torque?

I cannot find anything on the EC website.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Intercooler or not - the heat under the hood makes me lean towards closed cold-air boxes. That is unless when the hood is closed it is designed to keep turbo heat away from the front passenger side of the car (under the hood)?

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Is there any dyno (or other) data to show the EuroCompulsion V2 intake increases horsepower and/or torque?

I cannot find anything on the EC website.
Bump.

I'm not able to find the alluded to dyno result(s) showing the V2 the all out, indisputable choice for impressive gains.

Links?

·
Vendor
619 Posts
My first inclination is that this is a complete waste of time and money but i am willing to be convinced otherwise.
Not on vehicles that are wide-band and utilize volumetric efficiency. :)

·
Vendor
619 Posts

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Thanks, Chris.

Those I've seen, though, and unless I'm reading them wrong, neither expresses gains from V2 in terms of horsepower.

The first graph shows intake pressure drop over "horsepower of air," which I don't understand the meaning of. Can you explain that a bit, and whether it can be translated into regular Hp gains? I'm happy to take intake pressure drop as a manifest gain, but I really don't know what lower intake pressure means in common terms.

The second chart shows V2 in combo with exhaust and exhaust+tune compared to stock, but it's not possible to determine from those three options what amount the ~31hp gain and ~15lb-ft tq gains can be realized by the V2 alone, without the exhaust system.

Any clarification is appreciated!

Reactions: jnsd

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks, Chris.

Those I've seen, though, and unless I'm reading them wrong, neither expresses gains from V2 in terms of horsepower.

The first graph shows intake pressure drop over "horsepower of air," which I don't understand the meaning of. Can you explain that a bit, and whether it can be translated into regular Hp gains? I'm happy to take intake pressure drop as a manifest gain, but I really don't know what lower intake pressure means in common terms.

The second chart shows V2 in combo with exhaust and exhaust+tune compared to stock, but it's not possible to determine from those three options what amount the ~31hp gain and ~15lb-ft tq gains can be realized by the V2 alone, without the exhaust system.

Any clarification is appreciated!
The intake pressure drop effects the volumetric efficiency of the engine. The higher the pressure differential between the cylinder and atmosphere, the more air will enter each cylinder thus increasing power output. Intakes will restrict airflow to some degree; what Eurocompulsion's numbers are showing is the increase in unrestricted airflow the V1 and V2 allow. Unfortunately I don't know the equations for how that translates directly to HP gains.

The exhaust adds maybe 5hp, so of the 31hp gain, ~26hp is from the intake. I ran the exhaust first for a while but when I added the V2 the low end torque increase was definitely noticeable.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts