Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
161 - 180 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ignore the tag lines, and your concerns, just go drive a Tesla. You won't be disappointed.

Trust me... V
I used to work for Tesla so I know very well how they drive. Fast but soul-less golf carts

Not saying this is you, but in my observation the people who chirp most about Teslas being "fun to drive" are folks who were never car enthusiasts to begin with. They used to drive Toyota/Lexus-type vehicles and are more passionate about software. Those of us used to BMW's E-chassis and M division models, AMGs, Porsches, etc. know better. Any car can be fast, we see 2 ton SUVs putting down sub 4-second 0-60. Doesn't make them engaging driver's cars.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
6,927 Posts
Reactions: wingler

·
Registered
468 Posts
I used to work for Tesla so I know very well how they drive. Fast but soul-less golf carts

Not saying this is you, but in my observation the people who chirp most about Teslas being "fun to drive" are folks who were never car enthusiasts to begin with. They used to drive Toyota/Lexus-type vehicles and are more passionate about software. Those of us used to BMW's E-chassis and M division models, AMGs, Porsches, etc. know better. Any car can be fast, we see 2 ton SUVs putting down sub 4-second 0-60. Doesn't make them engaging driver's cars.
I can't find the match up against the Ford electric SUV. It found a lot of issues with the build quality. I was not aware that Tesla had that many issues with the quality. I admire the company to be first out of the gate but others are catching up and will eventually surpass Tesla.

·
Registered
6,927 Posts

All those non-car people having that much zip under their right foot concerns me. And then there are the ones who blindly trust their tessie to drive itself.

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
I can't find the match up against the Ford electric SUV. It found a lot of issues with the build quality. I was not aware that Tesla had that many issues with the quality. I admire the company to be first out of the gate but others are catching up and will eventually surpass Tesla.
Porsche already has.

·
Registered
106 Posts

Sorry to derail the thread...

Definitely not me.

2002 RSX 5MT
2005 WRX 5MT w/ VF34 turbo swap, TBE, Cobb custom tune, suspension, etc.
2008 WRX 5MT
2011 WRX 5MT
2018 STI 6MT

I've raced in 24 hours of Lemons in a track prepped Miata and turbo Civic hatch, AutoX'd the RSX and many HPDE days in my WRXs (Lime Rock Park, New Hampshire, etc).

I've also owned a Tesla for nearly 3 years (3 and now Y), and I will tell you that the single gear and one-pedal driving (OPD) capability places the driver engagement in between manual and automatics.
  • Manual is high engagement.
  • Automatic can be boring.
  • One Pedal Driving requires the driver to have finesse to smoothly modulate from power-on to controlled braking. Driving a Tesla is like being in 2nd gear all day...power and gobs of braking force.

·
Registered
451 Posts

Not sure if I can agree on that. I know plenty of proper life-long ICE car enthusiasts that call the Tesla fun to drive. The physics of a heavy battery located low down in an EV makes the centre of gravity lower than a typical ICE car. And it's also between the front & real axles, making the front-rear balance quite good. Both of those factors contribute to a hunkered down feeling on bends and corners and an almost go kart-like "fun to drive" feeling. But it's not a Tesla characteristic. It's an EV characteristic.

What is undeniably missing in an EV is the aural sensation of an ICE car. To a lot of people, that's a big part of the "fun to drive" equation too.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
You guys are as much self absorbed me-so-great-driver Alfa fan boy nut jobs as the my computer-can-do-somersaults-so-can-my-tesla nut jobs in the Tesla camp ;).

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Agreed 100%.

As for quality over blah, god knows how many of these speeches I give every single day to all my teams.

You beat me to it. And I think three years from concept reveal to market is too long. The excitement wanes.

·
Registered
123 Posts
This is out of the UK and I'm not sure how this might work in the US but the attached article indicates that Alfa and other Stellantis brands will move to an agency model. IMO this is a significant move that will help solve the many of the dealer issues that are spoken about on this forum ad infinitum. Years ago I managed a similar process for a company that sold high value consumer goods for a product segment of a major manufacturer.

Honda and Mercedes are moving to this model in Australia and I hope Stellantis do the same thing here.

Dealers will be rewarded through the likes of sales commissions, incentives and customer satisfaction. The stock, orders, resale etc are managed by the brand. In short, the brand will manage the whole process.

This along with an improved warranty policy (should such a thing be introduced) in my view will lift the 'mood' of the brand significantly over the coming years.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
This is out of the UK and I'm not sure how this might work in the US but the attached article indicates that Alfa and other Stellantis brands will move to an agency model. IMO this is a significant move that will help solve the many of the dealer issues that are spoken about on this forum ad infinitum. Years ago I managed a similar process for a company that sold high value consumer goods for a product segment of a major manufacturer.

Honda and Mercedes are moving to this model in Australia and I hope Stellantis do the same thing here.

Dealers will be rewarded through the likes of sales commissions, incentives and customer satisfaction. The stock, orders, resale etc are managed by the brand. In short, the brand will manage the whole process.

This along with an improved warranty policy (should such a thing be introduced) in my view will lift the 'mood' of the brand significantly over the coming years.

Thanks for sharing. Great to see some action and plans. As I read it (and many will say that it all lies by management) all involved stakeholders will benefit from these changes: customers, the distribution network and Stellantis. Many will also say that Alfa Romeo is dying (or leaving a country) because Stellantis’ franchised car retailers would be issued with two-year termination notices as part of a reorganization of its distribution networks ahead of the introduction of new rules. This isn’t a consultation !!!. This is Stellantis laying down the law and terminations are inevitable.

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
Can someone explain how this works vs. what we have today?
Further, is the agency model in use in the US or Canada? If not, had it ever been?

·
Registered
473 Posts
I found a 4th hose left out of its factory mount while cleaning off the coolant under hood last night. The tech had to have figured most owners wouldn’t notice all these little things. Just a quick glance at the agency idea makes me think that system would have helped prevent my problems. Unfortunately, I attribute the issue more to poor build quality overloading the dealerships. All of the things I’ve noticed are the kinds of things you forget to do when you’re rushed and at the end of a job.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I am not aware of any successful implementations in the US. Your average person does not realize the political power dealers have wielded over the last 100+ years to build and maintain a stranglehold on the dealership sales and service model that is codified by tomes of law.

Reactions: 313speed

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
I am not aware of any successful implementations in the US. You average person does not realize the political power dealers have wielded over the last 100+ years to build and maintain a stranglehold on the dealership sales and service model that is codified by tomes of law.
Elon Musk is aware and has challenged the dealer model state-by-state.

i’d like to stop receiving survey after survey where I’m told that my giving anything less than 10 indicates a failure on the part of the person or business being reviewed.

·
Registered
2021 Giulia Q4 Ti Sport, Alfa Rosso/Tan
131 Posts
Elon Musk is aware and has challenged the dealer model state-by-state.

i’d like to stop receiving survey after survey where I’m told that my giving anything less than 10 indicates a failure on the part of the person or business being reviewed.
Of all the questionable things that Elon says/does (and there are a lot), this is one that I am very supportive of. I love how Tesla has upset the existing dealer model. Not that the Tesla system is perfect or without their problems, but competition is always good. My guess is that the optimal environment will be a hybrid, with a bit less dealer involvement and more corporate-level with better pricing transparency, and improved consistency in service/repairs.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Can someone explain how this works vs. what we have today?
This artlcle and Q and A from Mercedes explains it

Of course there is a certain amount of market power being leveraged by Mercedes have that Alfa don't (at least outside of Italy perhaps).

Edit:
Also this article:

My point in sharing this was really to illustrate that the question of dealer quality appears to be being addressed. If successful that would lift the mood of this forum id nothing else!

It might be easier in some markets than others to do this. Stellantis for example have a pretty healthy share of the UK market through Peugeot and Opel/Vauxhall. In Australia, where none of the Stellantis brands hold major shares and therefore little leverage ''agency'' may be a solution to our small economies of scale.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Further, is the agency model in use in the US or Canada? If not, had it ever been?
I'm going to plead ignorance here.....

As others have said Tesla have certainly challenged the status quo in the US but not altogether successfully in all states if I understand things correctly. But Telsa's model is a direct sales one - the agnecy model sits between that and the traditional delaer model.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm sure I'm missing something here but the only 'positives' I see to the agency model are 1) No haggle pricing and 2) the customer can locate their own car in the manufacturer's inventory. Neither of those 2 are the problem with AR. The (crappy) dealerships would still the primary interface with the customer - so what changes?

161 - 180 of 195 Posts