Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
They are already retooling a plant in Poland to build the Alfa (and stablemates) EVs. They will manufacture vehicles where it's economically advantageous to do so - and you can be sure Italy isn't at the top of that list. I'm sure they will keep a token manufacturing presence there, but at this price point (and merger with PSA group) my bet is they will build more outside of Italy especially when they have more shared platforms and spare capacity elsewhere.

I personally think a lot of that will depend on what they build. If they continue to build Alfa's as a premium product then there is a greater chance of production staying in Italy. If the product all goes lowest cost then sure Italy misses out.

I was though actually referring to design more than build when I made the previous comment. Cars can be well built in any number of locations but design philosophy still seems able to imbue a number of products with characteristics that influence the way some cars look and feel.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Just a question, do you guys insist on buying everything else made in America?

Reactions: Richardalfa

·
Registered
429 Posts
Chiming in here but of course without the US perspective.......

I'm hopeful rather than pessimistic. Some of the things I seeing and reading (agree before it is raised that no one is really walking the walk yet) give hope IMO.

Pleased to see the firing of the UK dealer network. Dealer quality seems like it is an issue everywhere for the brand. Get rid of the dross and invest in the good ones. Few but better dealers for high value, speciality products usually works well. This was my area of business and have taken this approach in the past. Fewer, better people will get the job done for Alfa.

More broadly Taveres comments about quality, service and the customer experience also hit the mark. It seems an honest appraisal that needs to be delivered on.

Imparato - has been a success in fixing up Peugeot. At this stage I'd back him to improve Alfa. Opel in Europe also seem to be on the up and up.

Seemingly keeping Alfa Italian - based in Italy, largely Italian workforce etc

The 10 year investment - seems a reasonable time frame. Tonale will be available for most of that period and we can expect at some point replacements for the Guilia and Stelvio assuming they each have at least a couple of more years to run (and STLA is not due until 2024 ish). These are perhaps not direct replacements though.

I don't think anyone included Alfa in the Stellantis merger to turn it into Peugeot. Stellantis has a portofolio of products that requires differentiation. They value Alfa because it is Alfa - now whether they can deliver futures Alfa's true to the brand is another question that only time will tell.

Don't judge everything from your own perspective. Here in Australia the Stellantis brands are niche - all of them. Jeep likley to the largest (about 8,000 in 2018), Peugeots around 7,000, Alfa about 1,000 or so. Citroen very few and nothing of Dodge or Chrysler to speak of. The fact that Peugeot doesn't sell in the US is of no real consequence now for Stellantis. Provided the US brands continue to sell in their domestic market there is room for a some premium products to top off the range. Alfa and maserai seem to be disgnated that role in the US. The same in Europe - RAM, Dodge etc aren't going to sell in large volumes there but they don't need to - mainstream Stellantis have Peugoet, Citroen and Opel /Vauxhall for volume there. The potential is with Alfa to sell as a more premium product along with DS. Maserati stands a step further up range again. Jeep likley to the largest (about 8,000 in 2018), Peugeots around 7,000, Alfa about 1,000 or so. Citroen very few and nothing of Dodge or Chrysler to speak of. In theory, if properly differentiated Stellantis has good saleable product for most markets.

Volume becomes less of an issue if platforms can be successfully shared. Maybe 100,000 or so premium priced annual Alfa sales globally along side 20,000 Maseratis and 3.5 million Peugeots, Citroens and Opels works. Add in Jeep and there is a whole heap more volume.

I think the hard part in this is not seeing product development. We can see the future of Audi, Merc and BMW in the e-tron, EQ and i models from those brands. We know Alfa's future doens't just rest on the Tonale but for the moment that is all we have. I think the mood will increase when some new models are announced - perhaps still a year or more away and efforts to improve the customer expereince are realised.

Wishful thinking - maybe?
There is also a rumor that a new Giulietta is in the offing…It may prove to be an interesting 10 years. (Still, we have to acknowledge that the age of the internal combustion engine is coming to an end. I think we will still have some glorious dinosaurs like the MC-20 and some interesting hybrids…Speriamo e FORZA ALFA!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just a question, do you guys insist on buying everything else made in America?
It depends on what I'm buying. I could care less if a Chevy Impala came from the US, Canada or Mexico. But I wouldn't buy a Corvette built in Taiwan, or a Ferrari built in Kazakhstan. A certain amount of what you are 'buying into' with high-end stuff is the lore/legend/history/tradition of that item. And to some extent that's reflected in the cost. Some things I'm not willing to compromise on - A Porsche should be from Germany. A Ferrari from Italy. I would hope Alfa's are all built in Italy, but just like their competitor BMW, these aren't exotics and they are going to build them where it makes financial sense.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Re this forum. Lets also not forget that many of the posts a few years ago concentrated on a lot of aftermarket stuff to address perceived shortcomings in some aspects of the car, as well as assorted whines about various glitches. (Gear shifter lever, infotainment, minor electronic annoyances). As always happens with Alfa there has been constant minor changes and upgrades which have addressed many of those. So overall less complaints mean less forum activity. Interestingly there also seem to be a few less trolls from other brands as well.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
But I wouldn't buy a Corvette built in Taiwan, or a Ferrari built in Kazakhstan.
I've no blood relation to the country, but just as a by, I'd buy almost anything made in Taiwan.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Supply chains have been global for over 200+ years at this point...

A certain amount of what you are 'buying into' with high-end stuff is the lore/legend/history/tradition of that item. And to some extent that's reflected in the cost.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Talking about moods, and for the ones who need a mood bust. Yes, I know. Some will say bullshit.
Thankfully, in a recent interview, Alfa Romeo CEO Jean-Philippe Imparato declared he has a strong desire to bring back fabled sports car names from the marque’s past as these could boost the passion synonymous with Alfa.
“I’m very interested in the GTV,” he said during the launch of the new Giulia GTA and GTAm in Italy. “There is no statement or announcement at this stage, but I’m just giving you a personal feeling that I’m very interested in the GTV. I also love the Duetto. Allow me to bring Alfa Romeo to a certain level of economic performance, and then we speak.”
Jean-Philippe Imparato has expressed interest in giving the GTV and Spider another go after Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares’ recent announcement that all of the division’s marques will be given ten years to prove themselves.
Jean-Philippe Imparato said "Do not make confusion between rumor and information. We did not at Alfa Romeo state anything regarding the canning of Giorgio for the moment. I will not answer questions about Giorgio, but we only said we would have a large EV-focused STLA platform at Stellantis."

·
Registered
408 Posts
I like what I've been hearing from Imparato. He seems like a genuine car guy who is passionate about the Alfa brand. I think us Alfa fans should be happy that he is in charge with the brand, at least under the current circumstances. Let's hope he will be able to follow through with some action.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
6,731 Posts
I wonder what the mood is like inside the former FCA that is now part of Stellantis.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
They are happy to have a job without filing for unemployment?
I wonder what the mood is like inside the former FCA that is now part of Stellantis.

Reactions: johnzcarz2

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Sorry I'm being harsh. But minus some sparse and few outstanding brands (by sales), the company has got nothing to show in any of their mainstay geographies.

Reactions: johnzcarz2

·
Registered
11 Posts
While I have high hopes for the brand, their future path does not really matter to me. I would prefer for them to keep the smaller, niche brand than become more popular like the German ones. I am keeping the Giulia long term because of the great driving dynamics and the tech is very good but not distracting like in some cars. I think they do need to introduce more models and engine options if they want to stay alive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When i got my Giulia in late March 2018, there was a lot of excitement in these forums. Alfa was on the ascendancy, with glowing reviews(mostly), promising sales and an encouraging roadmap. There was a "buzz" around the brand.

Three years later, with minor changes to the existing product line, no "new" products, scaled back options, etc.... a lot of the excitement and buzz seems to have died down. The messaging coming out of upper management seems to be exasperating the sentiment. As some of you might have guessed from my posts in other threads, i am "worried" about the changes that might be coming.... as opposed to "excited".

The general ownership-cycle with cars these days seems to be <5 years(my best guess), with owners looking to trade-up to something new and improved. My guess is that many might hold onto their existing cars, or get into other brands.

Have any of you observed this change? Or am i the only one?

Cheers
I Agree. I work in Upper management ( non-alpha related), however Branding / operations, etc. - if i were them, and respectfully speaking, as a former brand ambassador for SAAB... ( i traded in my last of 13 Saabs over a 30 year stretch of only Saabs - to my new Italian Brand). I am a Brand Loyalist... an dlove my alpha! However am also concerned by Lack of response in the forums... Perception is reality Management. Hop in here and disuade / difuse / encourage the Brand , good bad and Ugly... and come out on top! Best,
Charlie Downey

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
I Agree. I work in Upper management ( non-alpha related), however Branding / operations, etc. - if i were them, and respectfully speaking, as a former brand ambassador for SAAB... ( i traded in my last of 13 Saabs over a 30 year stretch of only Saabs - to my new Italian Brand). I am a Brand Loyalist... an dlove my alpha! However am also concerned by Lack of response in the forums... Perception is reality Management. Hop in here and disuade / difuse / encourage the Brand , good bad and Ugly... and come out on top! Best,
Charlie Downey
If you’re going to be an ambassador, start by spelling it correctly……ALFA, ALFA, ALFA 🙂

21 - 40 of 78 Posts