Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
181 - 195 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
This is out of the UK and I'm not sure how this might work in the US but the attached article indicates that Alfa and other Stellantis brands will move to an agency model. IMO this is a significant move that will help solve the many of the dealer issues that are spoken about on this forum ad infinitum. Years ago I managed a similar process for a company that sold high value consumer goods for a product segment of a major manufacturer.

Honda and Mercedes are moving to this model in Australia and I hope Stellantis do the same thing here.

Dealers will be rewarded through the likes of sales commissions, incentives and customer satisfaction. The stock, orders, resale etc are managed by the brand. In short, the brand will manage the whole process.

This along with an improved warranty policy (should such a thing be introduced) in my view will lift the 'mood' of the brand significantly over the coming years.

I sent most of this to Ben Lyons at Alfa Romeo two years ago, so it looks like much of it got through. Once the corona virus hit, I wasn't able to reconnect to him so I never gave him the full proposal. I'm thinking of sending the entire proposal to Larry Dominique in the next two weeks, although after watching him in the Jay Leno's Garage video, I don't think I've ever seen a representative of any brand appear less enthusiastic. The fact that he's in charge of the brand in the U.S. is a bit unsettling. I'll probably send him the proposal anyways, however my proposal requires brand enthusiasm, so he may not even care. He may just be a numbers guy.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I’ve always been astounded at the fact that automotive ‘numbers’ guys never seem to understand that cutting corners to save money keeps leading to weaker sales.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm sure I'm missing something here but the only 'positives' I see to the agency model are 1) No haggle pricing and 2) the customer can locate their own car in the manufacturer's inventory. Neither of those 2 are the problem with AR. The (crappy) dealerships would still the primary interface with the customer - so what changes?
Ok, but I see and have experienced (not automotive) some additional benefits.

Dealer stock and orders are controlled by the brand. One complaint I see here on the forum is that is not easy to find cars other than in red, white, black and perhaps Versuvio. Dealers order what they think they can sell - easily. But if Alfa want to make point of difference with blues, greens or Ocra they can. They (Alfa) carry the cost of doing so. Same with options. My experience is that if customers can see and touch a product there is a greater chance they will buy it. I have a Misano Blue on order - never seen one in the flesh.

The financial power shifts between dealer and manufacturer. Instead of just working with the margin between trade and retail for the dealer other incentives are introduced or become financially more meaningful for the dealer but are enabled by the brand. Examples are:

Customer service
Participation in training (retailers will often opt out of this if they can as it is a cost. Agency can turn this into income through incentives)
Inventory (sort of mentioned above) but the opportunity exists to sell higher value options which yield more value rather than dealer specified “pauper packs”. I would see the leather dash option as something that could be a regular upgrade if people could see and feel it.
Finally you and I become Alfa customers. We will buy our cars from Alfa. We are not buying from John Doe Motors. The contract of sale is between you and me and Alfa (Stellantis). This should benefit the consumer when we get into those he said/she said disagreements between manufacturer and dealer on warranty

Hopefully you’ll see some of these things as benefits.

·
Registered
2021 Giulia Sport TI, 2018 Stelvio, 2017 Abarth 124 Spider.
66 Posts
I’ve always been astounded at the fact that automotive ‘numbers’ guys never seem to understand that cutting corners to save money keeps leading to weaker sales.
Larry Dominique spent most of his career at Nissan. Nissan builds cheapo, awful cars with cvts and plastic interiors.

I guess we will be seeing cheap Alfa branded crap boxes at the rental car companies soon.

Seriously, Carlos Travares and Jean-Philippe Imparto, Larry Dominique was the best you could do? What were you thinking?

Alfa is doomed.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
A nice video about the general mood around the brand. It just feels that will continue to be successful. Clearly not competing with the Germans, as they say in the video.

Click here.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 · (Edited)
A nice video about the general mood around the brand. It just feels that will continue to be successful. Clearly not competing with the Germans, as they say in the video.

Click here.
A quote from one of the people interviewed in the video (at the 1:47 mark).... "It's real Italian". I wonder if he will have the same opinion of rebadged Peugeots..... oops, i mean "heavily modified Giorgio". :)

I was thinking about the discussion in the "STLA Platforms (Who made them?)" thread. And it occurred to me...... the new Peugeot management's first instinct was to announce that they were going to replace stuff developed/engineered by-and-for Alfa Romeo, with stuff they had made at PSA for Peugeot, DS and Cirtoen. Someone in that thread mentioned that they reneged when there was a backlash in Italy, and that instead of "replacing Giorgio" it will be incorporated into their strategy in a "heavily modified" form. I suppose then that the STLA-Large platform will have 4 wheels, just like Giorgio. Hurray!

Giuliano, I "care" about Alfa Romeo because of what it is and represents, not because of the badge/brand (which is why i am annoyed with the new direction) . And i assure you, that i definitely do not "care" about Peugeot (or any of the other soulless-mass-market-utility-vehicles out there).

In my humble opinion, if their entire plan is to use the Alfa Romeo brand and aesthetic design to sell Peugeots.... it just isn't Alfa Romeo anymore, to me.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
@Hawkeye, IMHO, Alfa Romeo is a brand, it has a badge, it is one of the best cars in the history and it represents la meccanica delle emozioni. That brand, with its badge, being what it is and representing what it represents, as you know, was bought by a company and together several other brands, became part of Stellantis. I do not think Alfa Romeo will ever be either a Peugeot or a Citroen with a scudetto on it. As of right now, I think that the future Alfa Romeo will be built and designed on a STLA-Large platform and will continue to be an Alfa Romeo, made in Italy, in Poland or where ever for the next 100 years. One other thing, this discussion is happening right now, with all what we have now. How do we know that all this will be true in 5-10 years from now. What if Ferrari buys Alfa Romeo?. What if FIAT, Maserati, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Lancia and Pagani get away from Stellantis and Volkswagen and become Macaroni Automobili? What do we know.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Bottom line, should I buy a 2021 Verde because they will be out of fashion production next year or should I buy a 2022 civic that is more soul-less, but more reliable and tech-packed.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Bottom line, should I buy a 2021 Verde because they will be out of fashion next year or should I buy a 2022 civic that is more soul-less, but more reliable and tech-packed.
Trick question?

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Reactions: TedO

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
6,927 Posts
Bottom line, should I buy a 2021 Verde because they will be out of fashion production next year or should I buy a 2022 civic that is more soul-less, but more reliable and tech-packed.
The fact that you’re asking…

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
Get a "thoroughbred" Alfa Romeo Giulia, while the getting is good; before they turn into Peugeots. (There seems to be an expiration date for this option).

Hondas, etc... aren't going anywhere. IMHO

·
Registered
106 Posts
Get a "thoroughbred" Alfa Romeo Giulia, while the getting is good; before they turn into Peugeots. (There seems to be an expiration date for this option).

Hondas, etc... aren't going anywhere. IMHO
Considering GM is building the Honda/Acura EVs on their Ultium platform, "Honda" won't mean much either in the future.

181 - 195 of 195 Posts