Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,003 Posts
100% agree with you. When my friend sent me that Jay Leno video, I told him what a messed up visit that was. Talking about a car that is getting phased out does nothing for the brand. That told me Larry knows nothing about the Alfa brand. I never liked Sergio's bullshit salesman talk about the hundreds of thousands of Alfas he was going to sell but at least the guy was passionate about reviving the brand and the two cars he commissioned show that passion very clearly.

Tell me more about that 8C in Thousand Oaks.
It's fine to demo an older car, they have those often on the show, but Larry was neither passionate/knowledgeable about the 4c, nor did he do anything to promote the giulia and stelvio.

Reactions: Monk and Emozine

·
Registered
2021 Giulia Sport TI, 2018 Stelvio, 2017 Abarth 124 Spider.
66 Posts
Larry Dominique spent most of his career at Nissan... That pretty much says it all.

Picking a guy like him to lead Alfa in North America demonstrates Stellantis's lack of commitment to Alfa being successful in the North American market.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I will say this, Larry leaves Nissan and now Ford trademarks skyline name in the US 🤦🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
246 Posts
Most millenniums nowadays don't care much about owning a car, much less interested in sporting cars. They want to focus selling something to the group with least interesting...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Larry Dominique spent most of his career at Nissan... That pretty much says it all.

Picking a guy like him to lead Alfa in North America demonstrates Stellantis's lack of commitment to Alfa being successful in the North American market.
FWD, CVT Asshole is what he is.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Most millenniums nowadays don't care much about owning a car, much less interested in sporting cars. They want to focus selling something to the group with least interesting...
Partially bc they can't afford them and partially because the places with the most jobs are cities where there's public transportation

Reactions: simon2018

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
It's surprising bc you'd think that the parents of the millennials were car people and they would have passed that love down.

I will say, I think I'm considered a millennial (not sure the exact age range), and I'm a car guy, yet my dad hasn't driven a car in over 50 years 🤷🏻

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
It's surprising bc you'd think that the parents of the millennials were car people and they would have passed that love down.

I will say, I think I'm considered a millennial (not sure the exact age range), and I'm a car guy, yet my dad hasn't driven a car in over 50 years 🤷🏻
Both my 30 something girls are into cars, not quite as deeply, but they do have an appreciation and fairly good taste.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Great - as if we don't have enough 'reliability' baggage, now we can look forward to a CVT that won't make it past 40K-60k before it's internals grenade.

All I know about the guy was his 'performance' (or lack thereof) from the Leno video. What I saw was a complete and utter lack of enthusiasm for the brand. Is this guy selling Alfas or Proctor-Silex toasters? The brand deserves better. We need some new blood heading up this marque before it's too far gone. Like I said before, I'd hate to see Alfa Romeo reduced to a vinyl decal on the side of a rebranded Citroen.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts

Are you between 25 and 40 years old?

Baby Boomers: born between 1946 and 1964. They're currently between 57-75 years old (71.6 million in the U.S.)
Gen X: born between 1965 and 1979/80 and is currently between 41-56 years old (65.2 million people in the U.S.)
Gen Y (Millennials): born between 1981 and 1994/6. They are currently between 25 and 40 years old (72.1 million in the U.S.)
Gen Z: born between 1997 and 2012. They are currently between 6 and 24 years old (nearly 68 million in the U.S.)

Gen A: starts with children born in 2012 and will continue at least through 2025, maybe later (approximately 48 million people in the U.S.)

·
Registered
106 Posts

I don't know if I hate that he came from Nissan. He is an American, who is used to working at a multi-national (Franco-Japanese) company with a successful dealer network, known for producing very popular volume vehicles and high performance sports cars (Z and GTR).

Alfa needs better dealers, an ordering system that makes sense for customers and dealers, and to navigate French ownership. Sounds like we found the guy.

The mere fact that he even knows about Alfisti is icing on the cake. (Autoline interview).

Gen Y, early Millennial here, we like "Xennial." I'm a car guy, my dad's a car guy. He drives a Corvette GS 6MT daily in his 70s. Most of my cars have been manual.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I certainly wasn't talking about every single millennials, however, the trend with newer gens when they live in an environment where a lot things can be taken care online, making on demand travel much less required. When they do, it's available with a few app taps. I've known quite a few young professionals who haven't felt the need to learn how to drive nor bothered owning a car. There are more today because of the environment compared to when things weren't that easily available and owning a car was big part of life.

The point I was trying to make was that a premium car may not be the right primary choice for those just getting on in.

Reactions: C.Q4

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Very interesting, as usual. Our range of assessment goes from "... that guy is an idiot, stupid, has no idea of what he is talking about, it's a disaster of a manager and a disaster for Alfa Romeo USA..." to "... that guy is smart, capable, with valid and demonstrated experience, is the right guy...". Ahh, and I am forgetting the third axis of this 3-D space "... Marchionne, the God, the only one that could had saved Alfa Romeo...". I am sure that Larry Dominique is some where in that space.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Are you between 25 and 40 years old?

Baby Boomers: born between 1946 and 1964. They're currently between 57-75 years old (71.6 million in the U.S.)
Gen X: born between 1965 and 1979/80 and is currently between 41-56 years old (65.2 million people in the U.S.)
Gen Y (Millennials): born between 1981 and 1994/6. They are currently between 25 and 40 years old (72.1 million in the U.S.)
Gen Z: born between 1997 and 2012. They are currently between 6 and 24 years old (nearly 68 million in the U.S.)

Gen A: starts with children born in 2012 and will continue at least through 2025, maybe later (approximately 48 million people in the U.S.)
Guess I am a millennial then

Let me just apologize on behalf of all millennials for killing the housing, golf, diamond, and napkin industries and say a you're welcome for expanding the avocado toast industry 🤣

Reactions: C.Q4 and Giuliano

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
boomers killed the housing market
Killed in the sense that we can't afford to buy houses which is affecting the housing market. Same with diamonds, and napkins apparently

·
Registered
106 Posts
Very interesting, as usual. Our range of assessment goes from "... that guy is an idiot, stupid, has no idea of what he is talking about, it's a disaster of a manager and a disaster for Alfa Romeo USA..." to "... that guy is smart, capable, with valid and demonstrated experience, is the right guy...". Ahh, and I am forgetting the third axis of this 3-D space "... Marchionne, the God, the only one that could had saved Alfa Romeo...". I am sure that Larry Dominique is some where in that space.
That sounds like the typical car forum.

We all want someone that loves the brand and has vision, but what we sometimes forget is that this is a business that has very fundamental parts that need to function properly to be successful. At this time, AR is on the brink of being dissolved (10 years to be profitable or relevant), so if we want to continue to have access to great/beautiful/soulful cars, then we also need someone in the background making $ by doing what has to be done.

I love Walt Disney World and all other Disney offerings... I would never want to work for DIS. Boring corporate people get to make it a profitable and a successful company. We need them. But we also need Imagineers and the cast to make it fun and memorable.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Don’t worry, everything will be ok….Twitter said so…

·
Registered
213 Posts
Gen X suffer because of baby boomers who want everything for themselves and killed the environment and millennials who are self-righteous snowflakes…

81 - 100 of 101 Posts