Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
985 miles in, I started the car and now have check electronic throttle and service engine warning lights and messages. Called the dealer they say to turn it off, let it sit for a few minutes to reset the computers and it should clear up...

That didn't work, roadside assistance is on their way to my house to tow it to the dealer.

MC3456 should be delighted by the news

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
985 miles in, I started the car and now have check electronic throttle and service engine warning lights and messages. Called the dealer they say to turn it off, let it sit for a few minutes to reset the computers and it should clear up...

That didn't work, roadside assistance is on their way to my house to tow it to the dealer.

sorry to hear....let us know what codes were thrown...did the car go into "limp mode" or did you just decide not to drive it for fear of causing damage???
only Gremlin so far for me was the headlight washer cover popped off!:surprise:...part arrived yesterday but I will be out of town so will have it installed on my return...
Good Luck

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry to hear....let us know what codes were thrown...did the car go into "limp mode" or did you just decide not to drive it for fear of causing damage???
only Gremlin so far for me was the headlight washer cover popped off!:surprise:...part arrived yesterday but I will be out of town so will have it installed on my return...
Good Luck
I drove it home. Not sure what limp mode is, but it wont let me select drive modes. It drove home fine, seemed like it had full power. It says service electric throttle and the engine symbol is lit up

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
I drove it home. Not sure what limp mode is, but it wont let me select drive modes. It drove home fine, seemed like it had full power. It says service electric throttle and the engine symbol is lit up
limp mode would be the ECU telling the motor something is not right and it limits your power, car would feel sluggish...
when you say won't let you select drive modes, your referring to the knob that lets you switch the DNA right?
car stays in "N" normal mode you can't switch to Dynamic or Race or Eco...???
any mis-firing noise? or rough idle??

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
limp mode would be the ECU telling the motor something is not right and it limits your power, car would feel sluggish...
when you say won't let you select drive modes, your referring to the knob that lets you switch the DNA right?
car stays in "N" normal mode you can't switch to Dynamic or Race or Eco...???
any mis-firing noise? or rough idle??
no it drove fine, I just spoke to the alpha master tech from my local dealer he said it is fine for me to drive in. he thinks its just a stuck code

·
Registered
576 Posts

Sorry, Dude!

VERY UNHAPPY to hear that since I literally just bought my Giulia QV right now. Actually sitting in the dealership going over paperwork. NOT what I wanted to hear. Got a very good deal though. $2,095 off MSRP.

BTW...AMGs do that with a not fully tightened fuel cap. Worth double-checking...

Reactions: compert

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, Dude!

VERY UNHAPPY to hear that since I literally just bought my Giulia QV right now. Actually sitting in the dealership going over paperwork. NOT what I wanted to hear. Got a very good deal though. $2,095 off MSRP.
tell them what happened to me and ask for 1k more off, then send me half

·
Registered
576 Posts
tell them what happened to me and ask for 1k more off, then send me half
Deal!!! My purchase story is pretty funny. Will share sometime...probably better via PM to protect the identity of the innocent?

·
Registered
576 Posts
no it drove fine, I just spoke to the alpha master tech from my local dealer he said it is fine for me to drive in. he thinks its just a stuck code
Same situation today? Warning lights still illuminated? See pic of your service tech tackling the issue on Tuesday! Lol

All kidding aside, do report back with result.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
@jeffshul.....misery loves company....just happened to me this morning!
did not use the remote start....never have....did not run it hard last night either...
will check the gas cap...LMAO
Leaving today so the car will have to be looked at when I get back....but I will be following the board...
As I will be in the Motherland....might just have to pop into ALFA!

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Sorry, Dude!

BTW...AMGs do that with a not fully tightened fuel cap. Worth double-checking...
Congrats on the purchase! and on getting a deal!..not from the same dealer I hope?

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Need to have it scanned to see what soft codes are set. My guess is misfires.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! and on getting a deal!..not from the same dealer I hope?
Actually, was from the same dealer. That's what made getting the extra $1,000 off sweet vindication. Lol

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@jeffshul .....misery loves company....just happened to me this morning!
did not use the remote start....never have....did not run it hard last night either...
will check the gas cap...LMAO
Leaving today so the car will have to be looked at when I get back....but I will be following the board...
As I will be in the Motherland....might just have to pop into ALFA!
it actually happened right after I used the remote start for the first time

·
Vendor
619 Posts
It is most likely a throttle calibration error. Once you drive the car a bit it will clear.

This can happen when disconnecting and re-connecting the battery. (& Apparently REMOTE-Start)

A good idea is to spend $15-40 and get an OBD2 reader, I suggest this to everyone.

It takes a lot of guess work out of diagnosis and can provide peace of mind to know what the issue is. Whether you spend $5000 or $500,000 on a car there really is no reason not to have one.

This car is throttle driven and multiple systems rely on the throttle position sensor, so this being out of calibration will trigger multiple systems. Essentially you will have a cycling Christmas tree of check Engine Lights (CELS). Drive the car a bit and turn the car off (5-10 miles). Restart the car and all the systems should now be active.

THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR:

-ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL SYSTEM (ESC)
-STEERING SYSTEM (AST)
-ELECTRONIC THROTTLE SYSTEM (ETC)
-ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM SYSTEM (ABS)
& MORE.

Reactions: mc3456 and jeffshul

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Never leave home without it. Have one in each car and Torque reads the generic OBDII codes.

Anything better apps for diagnostics with a wireless dongle?

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Reactions: Chipps
1 - 20 of 232 Posts