Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

The dealer screwed me...

7K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  Avnyc11 
#1 ·
When I say this I mean it, removed my license plate to find this damage done to my bumper. Please comment what you would do in this case! This vehicle was purchased at an Alfa dealership in Winnipeg, the only one here mind you, with 750 KM on the clock. Is it unrealistic of me to me upset with this and ask them to fix it.

See less See more
#2 ·
No, you should definitely ask and be a bit pissy; there are common ways to mount without damaging bumper, so you should not have epected them to do otherwise. Ask them to help find a solution to the damage.

Reactions: Turkishhusla
#4 ·
It looks like the drivers side, and that location doesn't have threads.

#7 ·
That is the Alfa standard installation of the front license plate in the NAFTA region. If you don't want it you have to make a big fuss prior to the car getting to the dealer.

It appears that the dealer flubbed the first install and had to adjust. Perhaps the plate was crooked or was setting off sensors.

#16 · (Edited)
In the European region it is mandatory to fit front and rear number plates. Almost all other make of cars have a middle plate holder on the front. Ofcourse with the Alfa V design the front number plate has to be offset to the side and Alfa made a plate holder plinth which only fits by screws into the bumper plastic! That is how all European plates are fitted. If you do not want them making holes on the bumper, you have to let them know upfront. Some people use an adhesive printed vinyl plate instead but these screwed ones are common hand have been so since day dot with Alfas.

#20 ·
Understandable I just wanted to verify what the norm is it just seems wrong to do this, I know it's not a Ferrari but it's also not a cheap car.
The drivers side is used because Alfa fears the passenger side would interfer with the fcw system. The passenger side is a proper tow hook with threads. The drive side is merely a guide hole for the bracket, and the mount is still drilled in.

Many on the forum have gone the route of the tow hook and run the risk of fcw interference, though I don't think I've seen any reported cases so maybe Alfa's fears are unwarranted.

You can try and get the dealer to install a new bumper claiming they didn't inform you, but it would be a fight you have to take on. I too was uninformed that they would drill the bumper, when there appeared to be a hole for it, but for now I don't mind since I'm in NY, and won't risk driving without a front plate.
Oh wow that's great info and advice, thanks brother

#19 ·
The drivers side is used because Alfa fears the passenger side would interfer with the fcw system. The passenger side is a proper tow hook with threads. The drive side is merely a guide hole for the bracket, and the mount is still drilled in.

Many on the forum have gone the route of the tow hook and run the risk of fcw interference, though I don't think I've seen any reported cases so maybe Alfa's fears are unwarranted.

You can try and get the dealer to install a new bumper claiming they didn't inform you, but it would be a fight you have to take on. I too was uninformed that they would drill the bumper, when there appeared to be a hole for it, but for now I don't mind since I'm in NY, and won't risk driving without a front plate.

#23 ·
Yeah get it filled sprayed. Plastic weld filled too if needed.

#26 ·
I’m not in a state with a front plate requirement, and I don’t understand the purpose of the plate mount socket if screws have to be driven through the bumper fascia anyway.

It also seems like it would be much more sane just to use some DuoTec to adhere the plate to the bumper.

#27 ·
I totally
I’m not in a state with a front plate requirement, and I don’t understand the purpose of the plate mount socket if screws have to be driven through the bumper fascia anyway.

It also seems like it would be much more sane just to use some DuoTec to adhere the plate to the bumper.
I totally agree! Its so upsetting, one side of my wants to absolutely flip out but I just don't want to look crazy!

#28 ·
The dealer I got the car from did not install my front plate bracket, but it was early 2017, they did not really know. Soon thereafter when a friend got the car from them, without asking, they drilled the bracket onto the front. The dealer I service my car at, drills the mounts onto the car upon arrival of every single car, other than the QVs. I don't like it either, it can wait

#29 ·
The easy "fix" for @Turkishhusla 's car is to put front license plate back on.

Didn't the dealer screw the car, rather than the buyer?

Why Alfa did not put threads in the bumper behind the left side plug is a mystery to me. For that matter why didn't Alfa make a place for the plate in the lower left grill for NAFTA non-QV?
Lastly, per @Triumph23 apparently UK still has the option of stick-on front plate, why is the NAFTA region so backwards? Don't spoil the lines or aerodynamics of vehicles and potentially a revenue source for the DMV.

#30 ·
When I picked up my car, we got hit with 6 inches of snow and the time was Putting us directly in rush hour 45 miles from home on Long Island, NY. They asked if I didn’t want them to mount it or pay $95 for the tow hook mount. I insisted they install the right side as I didn’t want to wait any longer as the snow piled up and knew the LI police would’ve hunted me down without a front plate. A week later I completely regretted it and found out the right side isn’t threaded. That driver side frame is too damn bulky, sets my sensor off in a fog and breaks my heart knowing there’s nasty holes behind there. I did find a leaner frame and rigged something up using the same holes.

#31 ·
Awe nuts. That sucks. You know, my dealer skipped the inspection and I agreed although I totally forgot about it during the holidays. I got pulled over on Easter Sunday going home for no front plate and no inspection. I was baffled, then I remembered I forgot to get it inspected! In a way this was OK because the plate was never mounted! I faked it with zip ties for the first one after that, then got a tow mount for the next. Once the inspection is done I remove it. Never been cited since, even with the speeding ticket last year.

#35 ·
Just picked up my QF at the dealership from service (the one that drilled the holes in my wife's 2020 Stelvio) and asked WTF with the front plate mounting? He said as of Jan 2020, dealers in California are required to install the FACTORY license plate mount before the car is released. Legally required. So not it's on Alfa to design a factory front plate mount that doesn't require holes drilled into the bumper. Or have a great relationship with your dealer and work something out that doesn't require holes in your bumper....

#36 ·
I purchased my 2019 TI Sport online from a dealer near Chicago and had it shipped to Atlanta. It was a dealer loaner w/2600 mi. Many photos of the car on their website and not one with the bracket. Yet when it arrived there was the ugly black plastic screwed to the driver side with the dealer logo prominently displayed on the front. I was sick! Same thing as yours; six holes and the tow hook cap was missing (I covered it with a piece of vinyl in til I could get it in for replacement). Went several rounds with the sales manager but only managed to get five hundred bucks out of them. Had it replaced at Performance Collision (best in Atlanta area). She’s beautiful now like she was in their photos but I think they misrepresented their product and should be liable for the replacement.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Red Automotive design
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Red Automotive design

#39 ·
I run a front plate, I don't want to give the LEO any other reason to pull me over if they think I'm speeding ?

Reactions: Theo
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.