Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1001 - 1020 of 1054 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,598 Posts
It is incredible the advantage that a new ICE has over the rest of the field. It's actually unfair to see a car with a new ICE racing against the other cars and watch to pass all them like all they were stopped. A 5 spots penalty (or start at the end of the pack) is ridiculous to compensate the advantage of a new ICE speed and power against the others. There is no objective way to rate today's HAM Sprint Race with that advantage given to him.

Embarrassing, once again, RAI hitting his team mate, the one who is going to lose his job next Tuesday and then, not being able to recover, only beating the two F3 HAAS cars.

Great for SAI, finishing third and showing some promising hope for 2025 in Ferrari. Glad to see LEC beating GAS but unfortunately, not being able to hold NOR. In any case, it looks to me like Ferrari will keep the 3rd place in the Constructors Championship still tomorrow.

I kind of like the Qualifications on Friday and the Spring Race on Saturday as it brings a little bit more of racing during the week end.
Yeah, I'm surprised VER didn't get penalized as well, but it wouldn't have mattered. The Mercedes just had the top speed. For all the fawning over HAM for his drive. 99% of his passes were on the start/finish straight. Sure, he passed VER on the second DRS zone, in the end there wasn't much anyone could do to not get passed by HAM. VER was able to hold him off by getting a better launch off the last corner, but ultimately it was just a matter of time.

+1 for Mercedes, the track suited their car big time. I hope the remaining races are more of a challenge for HAM, not just breezing by everyone on the straight with higher top speed.
Was it the Merc or just ham?
Bot was no where near as fast as Ham and I think that highlights just how advantageous a new engine is Ham, who had a 25 spot penalty still finished first

Reactions: Giuliano

·
Registered
182 Posts
Bot was no where near as fast as Ham and I think that highlights just how advantageous a new engine is Ham, who had a 25 spot penalty still finished first
It was definitely a good track for the Mercedes, but there's typically a fair margin between Hamilton and Bottas so it's had to say how much of an impact the engine had. Anybody know what their trap speeds were and if they were significantly different?

Why would RB be afraid, the comments weren't directed at them but at the FIA for having given them and Max leeway that Mercedes hasn't received. I think the DSQ, in isolation, would have been frustrating but understandable, but putting it with Verstappen not getting a penalty in the same weekend probably pushed some emotions over the edge. I know I'd be pretty pissed if I were in their shoes.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,004 ·
Only HAM. He was driving a car with a new engine against the rest of the field with old and probably worn out engines.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,747 Posts
Power versus durability/longevity a calculated risk?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Only HAM. He was driving a car with a new engine against the rest of the field with old and probably worn out engines.
That isn't the exact scenario. MB is willing to deliberately shorten their engine life by placing higher loads on the components to get a measurable performance improvement. For them the benefit and degradation of performance is predictable so there is an advantage to deploying this strategy.
Power versus durability/longevity they calculated risk?
Exactly this. MB knows that they can increase output with a predictable decrease in engine / component in-service life.

Mercedes might be the most well rounded F1 team that has ever dominated the F1 constructor's championship. They aren't afraid to take a totally different development path to the rest of the field (low rake chassis vs everyone else using the "high rake" concept) and they continue to innovate and be disruptive even when they're leading, like the DAS system they deployed last year. The strategy department is consistently good and more importantly confident enough to 98% of the time make the right strategy calls at the right moment. Toto has done a great job at managing the driver pair he has to always maximize the result of the team, even if that was ultimately a detriment to Valteri's ego and career. But then again, #2 drivers are disposable and Toto knows he can always fill the second seat with whatever level of talent he desires because the car and team is so good.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Why would RB be afraid, the comments weren't directed at them but at the FIA for having given them and Max leeway that Mercedes hasn't received. I think the DSQ, in isolation, would have been frustrating but understandable, but putting it with Verstappen not getting a penalty in the same weekend probably pushed some emotions over the edge. I know I'd be pretty pissed if I were in their shoes.
it isn’t over.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Gio officially out
Seemed inevitable

I'm torn. Alfa isn't quick but he often did better than Kimi.

And in 2019 was the only non top 3 driver to lead a race

·
Registered
182 Posts
it isn’t over.

Good! At the very least the FIA needs to clarify how they came to their decision and make clear how the rule will be evaluated in the future. If they let this sit it will be standard procedure for any defending driver to run off the track to prevent a pass--it's absurd.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,010 ·
I think that Alfa Romeo did not learn anything from the HAAS experience, when they brought MAZ into the equation. As many times in life, they will need to go through that same mess by themselves and hopefully, learn something at the end. I think that HAAS will be soon a Russian owned team and I am forecasting that Sauber Alfa Romeo will be a Chinese owned team, too. I hope I am wrong in both.

Sports uniform Smile Sports jersey Jersey Cap

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
770 Posts
I think Haas is just fine with mezepin because they're getting money. I don't think even Hamilton or Vettel could make that Haas go faster so why not make money on a back marker who wants to race than pay someone like Ham to maybe get the car to 15th instead of 20th.

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
I think Haas is just fine with mezepin because they're getting money. I don't think even Hamilton or Vettel could make that Haas go faster so why not make money on a back marker who wants to race than pay someone like Ham to maybe get the car to 15th instead of 20th.
F1, especially todays F1 is first and foremost a business. without big factory programs (MERC:FERRARI) the other teams are always scrambling for $$$$ to develop cars and pay the vast amount of personal.
HAAS learned the hard way from the money perspective, and he is almost Howard Hughes like with his company, but the cash burn was tremendous.
Can't fault ALFA for ditching AG. Though frankly, I think the team principle and upper management have to be replaced.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,014 ·

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
This is a really cool video. Look what gio is driving

Since it's Montreal, must be new. I wonder what he had the first 2 years. I also wonder what he had those first 2 years

https://www.reddit.com/r/formuladank/comments/qx305v

Also, anyone know how much an F1 when and tire way? I see the mechanics grab them like they are weightless, but when I pick up my spare wheels and tires, I almost throw my back out lol

Reactions: Giuliano

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,016 ·
11.21.2021. Boring. Very boring. An one-car race is not a race. Good for Ferrari on keeping gathering points for their solid but mediocre 3rd place in the standings. Incredible their lack of pace this week end. Good for Alonso, his first podium in almost a decade and good for Alpine in general, both in the Top 5. The main losers, in my opinion, BOT, NOR and GAS. Alfa Romeo, no-comments but please, get out of F1. Two more races. I think VER will be the 2021 Champion assuming that FIA will stop helping HAM.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
11.21.2021. Boring. Very boring. An one-car race is not a race. Good for Ferrari on keeping gathering points for their solid but mediocre 3rd place in the standings. Incredible their lack of pace this week end. Good for Alonso, his first podium in almost a decade and good for Alpine in general, both in the Top 5. The main losers, in my opinion, BOT, NOR and GAS. Alfa Romeo, no-comments but please, get out of F1. Two more races. I think VER will be the 2021 Champion assuming that FIA will stop helping HAM.
Even without the grid penalties, the Merc was too fast. Something changed the last few races because they were never that fast.

But agree, kind of a boring track with only 1 drs zone and overtaking point

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Oops, I forgot to watch. Some F1 fan I am.

• Haha
Reactions: Avnyc11

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
1001 - 1020 of 1054 Posts