Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
981 - 1000 of 1054 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Incredible drive by Lewis

In other news the FIA is a complete joke. Everyone knows Max intentionally drive them off the track. Hell, Max drove BOT off the track in turn 2 lap 1. Max has driven everyone off the track and had never received a single penalty. Norris this year got a time penalty plus license points for something that was not even in the same universe as Max's move.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
If they didn't penalize Hamilton for Silverstone, no penalty here.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,747 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Incredible drive by Lewis

In other news the FIA is a complete joke. Everyone knows Max intentionally drive them off the track. Hell, Max drove BOT off the track in turn 2 lap 1. Max has driven everyone off the track and had never received a single penalty. Norris this year got a time penalty plus license points for something that was not even in the same universe as Max's move.
Yeah very surprised to not see a penalty on Max today. I think anyone who's suggested that the FIA would find a way to give Hamilton the WDC has to feel pretty silly looking at this weekend's rulings.
If they didn't penalize Hamilton for Silverstone, no penalty here.
You could actually justify that as a genuine racing incident as Lewis still made the corner but understeered.. Max put his entire car into the runoff to keep an advantage and ran another car through the grass. Yes Silverstone resulted in a crash, but the causes of the incidents aren't comparable and wouldn't justify anything Max did anyway.

Edit: That said, as a fan I'm happy in retrospect that Max didn't get a penalty because it led to an absolutely spectacular battle ending in a great setup on turn 1 leading to the pass at turn 4. Still should have gotten the penalty I think, or at least an investigation, but it led to a great race.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Actually, Red Bull brought a knife to a gun fight today.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
967 Posts
Edit: That said, as a fan I'm happy in retrospect that Max didn't get a penalty because it led to an absolutely spectacular battle ending in a great setup on turn 1 leading to the pass at turn 4. Still should have gotten the penalty I think, or at least an investigation, but it led to a great race.
Yeah, I'm surprised VER didn't get penalized as well, but it wouldn't have mattered. The Mercedes just had the top speed. For all the fawning over HAM for his drive. 99% of his passes were on the start/finish straight. Sure, he passed VER on the second DRS zone, in the end there wasn't much anyone could do to not get passed by HAM. VER was able to hold him off by getting a better launch off the last corner, but ultimately it was just a matter of time.

+1 for Mercedes, the track suited their car big time. I hope the remaining races are more of a challenge for HAM, not just breezing by everyone on the straight with higher top speed.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #988 ·
11.14.2021. Brazil. My forecast this morning about a podium for Ferrari today was too optimistic. My mistake. In any case, good P5 and P6 for Ferrari, continuing to solidify their 3rd place in the Constructors Championship. GIO may have seen his last Brazil GP in both an Alfa Romeo and in a F1 car. Not being able to do anything today, while RAI making some good ground during the race may have been his end. I hope I am wrong on that one, too. It was very weird to hear both HAM and BOT on the radio criticizing their engineers on the second pit stop for the tires decision but they ended P1 and P3. Weird. Great to see VER finishing second in his way to the 2021 Championship.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yeah, I'm surprised VER didn't get penalized as well, but it wouldn't have mattered.
But it would have mattered because even a 5s penalty would push VER behind BOT into 3rd place and 3 less points for the WDC title.

On a separate note, if one ignores for a moment that GIO's replacement is in just about all certainty to be a paid driver that doesn't necessarily deserve an F1 driver seat more than GIO, can someone explain to me why all the love for GIO? While he has shown improvements over the years, he's not a great talent that deserves the "if only" sympathy. And for the love of racing, please don't say it's because he's an Italian driver for an Italian team, because it's an Italian team in name only, literally.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Actually, Red Bull brought a knife to a gun fight today.
Yah, I think RB was unprepared for how superior LH and MB were going to be this weekend. RB was forecasting that MB would take an engine penalty on LH's car earlier this week, so they knew they were going to have a sizable starting position advantage for the GP. But that seems to be all they banked on.

Why didn't they peel some downforce off the RB chassis so that the speed delta wasn't so great on the straights between RB and MB, I don't know. It was clear that RB had ~0.350sec performance advantage through the twisty sector, so they could have afforded to give up some downforce here to be in a slightly better position on the straight. I'm also always perplexed why teams that do a two stop often seem to pick the less advantageous tire for the sacrificial middle stint. With the SC and VSC the first stint seemed to be about 22-24 laps on the Medium tire. Then they only went ~15 or so on the Hard for the second stint and then used the hard again for the final long stint to to the end of the race. Why didn't they go Medium on the second stint and get a pace advantage to build up a larger time gap? It still might not have changed the outcome, but the larger time gap would have meant a few more laps for LH to catch up to Max's rear end...

Mercedes and Lewis were just superior this weekend, Red Bull was unprepared for this level of performance disparity.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #992 ·
But it would have mattered because even a 5s penalty would push VER behind BOT into 3rd place and 3 less points for the WDC title.

On a separate note, if one ignores for a moment that GIO's replacement is in just about all certainty to be a paid driver that doesn't necessarily deserve an F1 driver seat more than GIO, can someone explain to me why all the love for GIO? While he has shown improvements over the years, he's not a great talent that deserves the "if only" sympathy. And for the love of racing, please don't say it's because he's an Italian driver for an Italian team, because it's an Italian team in name only, literally.
We will never know if it would have mattered. It is impossible to know. I would say that if VER knew that he was going to get a 5s penalty, he would have made that time against BOT. He just needed 3 seconds anyways and clearly he could do it.

Rectangle Font Parallel Paper product Number

In regards to GIO, compare him with this driver:

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Circle

Those two drivers have the same "talent". One is getting the incredible opportunity of his life and GIO is going to get fired tomorrow Tuesday. It is not about love for GIO. No one here knows him so, how would anyone loves him. It's about talent, opportunities, connections and being at the right place at the right time. Who knows what GIO could do on a Mercedes.

·
Registered
711 Posts
We will never know if it would have mattered. It is impossible to know. I would say that if VER knew that he was going to get a 5s penalty, he would have made that time against BOT. He just needed 3 seconds anyways and clearly he could do it.

View attachment 118920

View attachment 118921

Those two drivers have the same "talent". One is getting the incredible opportunity of his life and GIO is going to get fired tomorrow Tuesday. It is not about love for GIO. No one here knows him so, how would anyone loves him. It's about talent, opportunities, connections and being at the right place at the right time. Who knows what GIO could do on a Mercedes.
I might be in the minority but I think RUS might actually be overrated. Guess we'll find out next season.

·
Registered
580 Posts

View attachment 118920

View attachment 118921

No, those 2 drivers have the same points result. But having the same points results is nowhere near the same as having the same "talent". If GIO is as talented as the other guy (we all know it's RUS), why did Ferrari pass up on bringing him to the top team but went outside to get SAI instead?

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #995 · (Edited)
No, those 2 drivers have the same points result. But having the same points results is nowhere near the same as having the same "talent". If GIO is as talented as the other guy (we all know it's RUS), why did Ferrari pass up on bringing him to the top team but went outside to get SAI instead?
I do not know. Probably for the same reason as Alfa Romeo is firing him.

I believe that GIO has demonstrated the same talent as RUS and mathematically, both have the same results for the past 3 seasons:

In the FIA F3 championship in 2015, in a field which included LEC, STR, RUS and ALB, he was a championship contender for much of the season. GIO ended the season as the championship runner-up. He recorded six wins, twenty podium finishes, four pole positions and four fastest laps...."

In 2016 in GP2 GIO took the lead of the championship at Sepang with his 5th win of the season. GAS led by 12 points into the final race. GIO finished the final race ahead of GAS, however, he was unable to overturn the 12-point gap, and GAS won the championship by 8 points. Had GIO won the championship, he would have been the first rookie champion since HUL in 2009. He would also have been the last GP2 champion as the series would become FIA F2 for 2017.

Since 2017, he had the bad luck to be hired by Sauber.

I also think that SAI is better than GIO but, we will never know that unless they race in the same Team and/or GIO races a Ferrari in one race to confirm it it or negate it.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
770 Posts
Maybe it's the British Sky hyping up Russell, but his drives seem more inspired and impressive than GIO who just disappears into the midfield like the others. If not for an ascendant McLaren and AlphaTauri you wouldn't hear much about them either and Alpine really fell since the rebrand too.

I think Russel is the more dynamic driver and can wrong something out of the Williams where Gio isn't doing a whole lot to get his face on TV.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Is it my imagination, or was GIO more promising two years ago?

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Reactions: Giuliano

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #999 ·
Is it my imagination, or was GIO more promising two years ago?
Think about this. 2018 (48), 2019 (57 points), 2020 (8 points) and 2021 so far (11 points). And think that there is even a F1 Champion involved in those numbers for the past 2.75 seasons. So, does anyone think that GIO can do anything else, different, better or whatever in such a disastrously bad car?. Let's put him on a Mercedes for one week end. If he does not score a podium, let's ban him for life. I bet big money that he would score a podium. Let's treat him like F1 is treating RUS. Because they are both the same talent. But, let's don't do what HAAS did with GRO and MAG to "salvage" the Team. Let's fire immediately Vasseur instead of GIO.

981 - 1000 of 1054 Posts