Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
361 - 380 of 409 Posts

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,325 Posts
If you were head of Mercedes, what would you have done?
resigned immediately

I believe Leclerc would have won that race had they not cheated - there is a reason they call it a race

“I hate to do that,” was Wolff’s reply when asked about the possibility of team orders.

“It is completely against my racing instinct.

“We try to be very neutral to both drivers and we haven’t done it yet, and we haven’t discussed it.

“Let’s see how Monza pans out and how it goes.

“Then we will address the question as to whether we need to put all force behind one driver.

“But at the moment, we owe it to the two men and to Formula One to not interfere into the race.”

Mercedes to make Bottas/Hamilton team orders call after Italian GP

it would appear a lot has changed since the last time the head of mercedes had a backbone

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #362 · (Edited)
If you were head of Mercedes, what would you have done?

I think Mercedes made the correct call. Allowing Bottas to race Hamilton would have delayed the inevitable. It could have also resulted in one or both crashing out of the race. By allowing Hamilton to pass, Mercedes maximized their point potential.
Wolff is 33% stake owner in Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport Formula One Team, Team Principal and CEO of the team. It is his way to do business. I do not think I would do that but will allow true and honest racing. I am not talking about any of that, as you know, anyways. I am talking about the greatness of Sir Hamilton. We will never know what that inevitable was going to be. It could be P2 and P3, it could be Hamilton DNF, it could be both Mercedes DNF or actually, it could be Hamilton winning the race, racing like a champion as he is supposed to race. Again, I understand maximizing points for the Team, understand Barrichello doing that for Schummy and Ferrari for years and understand the F1 as a business. What I am not OK is to leave all that out of the "greatest of all modern time" story.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I dont tune in to watch business or a media giant make money - i tune in to watch a RACE - like the time Kimi and Vettel collided at Singapore - how many times have we seen wheel to wheel overtakes between team mates
yeah, nah - being gifted wins like that might be good business but it has not earned championships

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,003 Posts
I don't understand all the drama around Bottas giving Hamilton the point by. It was obvious Merc had a choice of finishing 2+3 or try for 1+3 with 2+3 still guaranteed. Seems they made the obvious correct decision. Team orders or not Bottas was going to finish 3rd.
Mostly likely yes but the thought is that if bot could race ham then he may score more points than he does, and in this case, would have given lec a better chance.

I understand why Merc does it but I still feel relatively bad for bot. After all he's multi Grand Prix winning f1 Merc driver

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q4
646 Posts
i disagree
it would have allowed Leclerc enough buffer to avoid DRS and over the course of two laps enough of a gap to go and thoroughly deserve his win
It would have delayed the inevitable, meaning Hamilton would have passed Bottas. Unless they came together while battling it out.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Yes, that part was, Hamilton would have passed Bottas, eventually, but that doesnt mean overtaking Leclerc was inevitable,

·
Registered
849 Posts
In my opinion, there is no drama. All is plain, obvious and very clear, I think. I think that Hamilton wins twice of what he should win because of Bottas' "teamwork", "sportsmanship" and "Team orders". It was demonstrated during Rosberg's time in Mercedes from one side and, with Bottas not allowed to race him, in the past two years, on the other side. We will never know if that supposed P2 + P3 last Sunday was going to happen. I bet that there was going to be contact within those two guys (even if the golden rule of the teams is not take each other out) because Hamilton expects Bottas (and everyone else) to let him through as he must always win. I am perfectly OK with team orders, with let Hamilton win and all that (as well as I was OK with the Schumacher's fraud at his time) but, let's just say it and document it in the news as it is.

It's a team sport

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,003 Posts
Reactions: Giuliano

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
852 Posts
It's a team sport
For Hamilton it's a team sport when his teammate needs to support his race win. It's not a team sport when his teammate, and hence the team, is at risk of losing a position and therefore points due to his driving too damn slow. See 2015 China incident with Rosberg...

·
Registered
849 Posts
For Hamilton it's a team sport when his teammate needs to support his race win. It's not a team sport when his teammate, and hence the team, is at risk of losing a position and therefore points due to his driving too damn slow. See 2015 China incident with Rosberg...

Every team has team orders

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Every team has team orders
Until Hamilton thinks he is above the team
""It's not my job to look after Nico's race, it's my job to manage the car and bring it to the end as fast as possible and that's what I did.""

Hamilton would never have won that race had Bottas not moved over – rolled over, played dead, pretended to be racing, taken a dive, whatever you want to call it

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
The TEAM doesn't care about the drivers championship. They care primarily about the constructors championship
The fans, the media, and the sponsors say otherwise

They ALL want to see their support translated into results, individual driver results - that is why individual driver sponsorships and their endorsements are worth much more than sticker placement on the car

payments from the FIA
chicken feed, helps pay for the electricity

·
Registered
849 Posts
Until Hamilton thinks he is above the team
""It's not my job to look after Nico's race, it's my job to manage the car and bring it to the end as fast as possible and that's what I did.""

Hamilton would never have won that race had Bottas not moved over – rolled over, played dead, pretended to be racing, taken a dive, whatever you want to call it

Why would Mercedes not want a 1&3 place finish over a 2nd and 3rd place finish and get more constructors points? Because your Hamilton hatred is just too much to bare?

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Why would Mercedes not want a 1&3 place finish over a 2nd and 3rd place finish and get more constructors points?
Because they are hypocrites :)
clear enough ?
read Toto's quote at the top of the page, and Hamilton's thoughts about team orders when they apply to him

Because your Hamilton hatred is just too much to bare?
Because Leclerc thoroughly deserved to win that race on MERIT, not lose it on the back of dives - i couldn't give a toss about Hamilton

is that clearer ?

i cant believe you still have questions !!!! LOL

·
Registered
849 Posts
Because they are hypocrites :)
clear enough ?
read Toto's quote at the top of the page, and Hamilton's thoughts about team orders when they apply to him

Because Leclerc thoroughly deserved to win that race on MERIT, not lose it on the back of dives - i couldn't give a toss about Hamilton

is that clearer ?

i cant believe you still have questions !!!! LOL

The fastest driver "deserved" to win the race... and did. The crybaby would have been lucky to get a podium if it wasn't for the wreck.

361 - 380 of 409 Posts