Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 409 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year guys !!!. Let’s start getting ready for March 2021.

8 changes in drivers. An UK Green Racing color (no more pink!) and a Blue/White/Red color so, the Yellow/White/Black Renault colors will go away.

The 2021 cars will have a lost of downforce following the other car (Dirty Air) of only 10%, versus the 2020 ones which lost 40-50%. The 3-Day weekends will help the whole business to squeeze more races in the season. The $175M Cost Cap per Team per year over performance and design costs will help the smaller teams to close the GAP with the big guys. Many of the bigger teams are having to reallocate staff. Ferrari are distributing personnel to HAAS and will provide them with a separate facility next to the Scuderia’s headquarters in Italy.

Hamilton remains the only F1 driver left to confirm his contract for this 2021 season. It looks like things are not going so smoothly between him and the team’s part-owners, Daimler. Daimler’s demands are a bit far off from Lewis’ 4 years and $50M/yr hopes. Daimler are reportedly looking to provide the British racer with a two-year deal. As a result, the Mercedes’ part owners are probably looking to give up on Lewis by as early as 2022, and move on to a younger driver. A much cheaper George Russell ($500K/yr in 2020) is waiting outside the door leading into the team. Hence, Mercedes have a decent back-up if the talks fail.

I can’t wait. Forza Alfa Romeo !!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Some thoughts...

I think you're right. Russell dropped Hamilton's stock price with his performance in the Sakhir GP so I think that's the sudden issue with he and Daimler reaching a deal. It's clear Russel is the future at MB. Assuming Hamilton signs at least a 2 year deal, Bottas is out after '21 and then things get really interesting with a Lewis\George team.

I am excited to see what Ricciardo can do in the Mac and Checo at Red Bull. I wonder if Max is excited to have a stronger talent as his team car? lol

Ferrari might still be trash which is sad...**** Schumacher is probably glad to get a year at Haas so he doesn't have to drive that terrible Ferrari and can wait for the new regs to start.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,003 Posts
Counting the days till March

Reactions: Giuliano

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
566 Posts
with the last year for this car formula, the teams should stack up similar to this year. mclaren ascendant once more and force india er aston martin should put up a good show. really curious how vettel will do and ricciardo in competitive cars.

I think we will see more from red bull and alpha taurus.

ferrari has to fix their deficiencies or just dump and run to the new formula in 22 because they're going to be stuck (and alfa) if they don't figure it out with all the other teams in the position they're in at the end of this year.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
6,927 Posts
Anything but parades. And passing on the track will always be more exciting than passing by pit strategy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hate to be that guy, but the regulation changes have been pushed back to 2022. The 2021 cars will be fairly similar to 2020, with small changes to prevent huge downforce gains from 2020, as Pirelli isn't planning a new construction of tire.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@amnjg24f, the article you shared is from March 2020. This below article (link) from October 2020 and from the same Formula1.com explains with some details the changes for 2021. There will be 10 key technical, financial and Logistics changes in 2021 and evidently a whole new different game for 2022.

Click here for the article.

·
Registered
177 Posts
2020 season had some exciting races, albon we thought had what it takes when the season started but it was all downhill for him. but i am bored to see Merc win another season. hoping that Aston Martin with Vettel and Mclaren with Norris Ricciardo duo might be contenders to the Merc. But cant wait for the season to start.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
566 Posts
I'm feeling like they have their protocols down and if they don't postpone but get the teams to quarantine before the race , then they'll be fine. May still need to limit attendance. Some parts of australia did really well to keep the virus away.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Covid19 Protocols they used in 2020 were pretty successful. Only 3 drivers and a handful of staff members in a couple of teams got ill during the compressed season. I assume that if they do the same, they will be OK, from that POV, and could start on-time in Australia. The problem I see is that it isn't sustainable a business without clients (spectators in this case) or with limited clients. I don't know how they will be able to survive without spectators or with limited spectators (and only TV income). Spectators bring millions of dollars to the weekend whole businesses (tickets, food, merch's, hotels, restaurants, transportation, etc)

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,003 Posts
They are also shortening fp1 and fp2 to 60 minutes each

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
The Covid19 Protocols they used in 2020 were pretty successful. Only 3 drivers and a handful of staff members in a couple of teams got ill during the compressed season. I assume that if they do the same, they will be OK, from that POV, and could start on-time in Australia. The problem I see is that it isn't sustainable a business without clients (spectators in this case) or with limited clients. I don't know how they will be able to survive without spectators or with limited spectators (and only TV income). Spectators bring millions of dollars to the weekend whole businesses (tickets, food, merch's, hotels, restaurants, transportation, etc)
It's a huge part of the revenue for the F1 organization but it's not a deal breaker for the sport. Television and other sources of revenue do contribute heavily to the sport in general. Each location pays to host F1 and those fees are pretty heavy. F1 is also publicly traded and has investors like other businesses. Licensing and other revenue streams exist as well. Even in a year without spectators, the sport still makes money.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Hate to be that guy, but the regulation changes have been pushed back to 2022. The 2021 cars will be fairly similar to 2020, with small changes to prevent huge downforce gains from 2020, as Pirelli isn't planning a new construction of tire.

Glad you brought this up. All moved a year out because of COVID.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We'll need to wake up an hour earlier on Sundays !!! F1 is to make its second change to its Grand Prix weekend schedules of the 2021 season. F1 has already decided that for this year there will only be two hours of free practice on a Friday split across two one-hour sessions, compared to the previous three of past seasons. F1 is also now set to revert back to race start times on the hour rather than 10-past, with European events, in particular, to begin at 2pm rather than 3:10pm as has been the case for the past three years. It is understood the teams have backed F1's proposal which is expected to be ratified shortly.

·
Registered
451 Posts
They'll also need to follow the local COVID regulations of the host location. And right now. Melbourne, which is in the state of Victoria in Australia, is not allowing travellers in at all. So season opener in Australia is very likely toast.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Aero tweaks, new tires and the cost cap. Some of the 2021 F1 rules and regulation changes.

1. Changes to the cars' floors.
2. Rear brake duct winglets shortened.
3. Diffuser fences cut down.
4. Cost cap introduced.
5. A new sliding scale for aerodynamic testing.
6. Minimum weights of cars and power units increased.
7. Clamping down on copying parts.
8. Pirelli set to bring new compounds.
9. DAS banned.
10. Automatic tires allocation.
11. New materials permitted.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally! Cyril Abiteboul leaves Renault and will not lead the Alpine F1 Team. Under Abiteboul’s leadership, Renault achieved only pour results finishing 9th in 2016, 6th in 2017, 4th in 2018 and 5th in the past two seasons, in the constructors standings. Next in the exit line may be Binotto !!!!!!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

In my opinion, one of the best. Had things panned out differently, January 18, 2021 would have marked the 71st birthday of Gilles Villeneuve. He only competed in six seasons of Formula 1, and won just six times. And yet, his extrovert driving style and never-surrender attitude mean he is still sorely missed by F1 fans today.

1 - 20 of 409 Posts