Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say thank you for letting me join. I'm new to the Alfa Romeo world and I'm impressed so far. Just one quick question. I have seen videos on YouTube with the exterior lights flashing front and rear, how do you make them do that?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Stolen from the internet but it's the shortest most concise answer:
The output of light from an LED is a certain frequency in hertz. Let's say it's 30 Hz from the LED and the camera recording it records at a common 24 frames per second. Every few frames recorded by the camera will not be in sync with the light source and thus a "blinking" occurs where the camera caught the LED in between cycles.
Similar to how when you look at a propeller blade on camera is can seem to not be moving, or spinning backwards. Camera trickery.

Reactions: Carmdale

·
Registered
482 Posts
Just wanted to say thank you for letting me join. I'm new to the Alfa Romeo world and I'm impressed so far. Just one quick question. I have seen videos on YouTube with the exterior lights flashing front and rear, how do you make them do that?
They aren't really flashing. That's how LED bulbs look on slow motion film. Well, technically they are flashing, but too fast for the human eye to see.

Edit: bigben beat me to it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Scott, welcome to the forum and congratulations on the Giulia is that Montecarlo blue? Its a little hard for me to tell from your icon.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,463 Posts
Some cameras have anti-flicker. Not sure whether it works on video as well as stills.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Stolen from the internet but it's the shortest most concise answer:
The output of light from an LED is a certain frequency in hertz. Let's say it's 30 Hz from the LED and the camera recording it records at a common 24 frames per second. Every few frames recorded by the camera will not be in sync with the light source and thus a "blinking" occurs where the camera caught the LED in between cycles.
Similar to how when you look at a propeller blade on camera is can seem to not be moving, or spinning backwards. Camera trickery.
Thanks BigBen - I always wondered about this on light, monitors, wheels, etc. Thank you for the very easy to understand explanation!
John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts