Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything was fine for the first 3500 miles, but now when the infotainment displays an incoming text it alerts the text I just received, a random text from a long time ago (different each time), and also pops up as if a text is coming from "unknown." I've has to disable text alerts altogether.

Anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I’ve never been able to get my infotainment to recognize my phones for the purpose of text messages. What type of phone are you using?

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have a Moto Z android and it will work with the default app, but I use Signal and even with the default app disabled it won't work. 2017 with either software verison "43" or "55".

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
653 Posts
Mine works beautifully with and iPhone 7. Notification of incoming text pops on the screen. You can select "Read text" by pressing the central control knob. The system then reads the text. You can then choose to send a reply from a list of 6 or 7 canned responses - things like "can't talk. I'm in the car" or "will reply later."

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine works beautifully with and iPhone 7. Notification of incoming text pops on the screen. You can select "Read text" by pressing the central control knob. The system then reads the text. You can then choose to send a reply from a list of 6 or 7 canned responses - things like "can't talk. I'm in the car" or "will reply later."
Have you actually tried to send one of the canned responses? My iPhoneX reads the text but isn't able to send a reply as an error message pops up advising me that the feature isn't supported.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Mine *was* working with iPhoneX, insofar as alerting of SMS messages and reading them, but they never sent.

Even that limited amount of usability is no longer working now. It just stopped a day or two ago.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would suggest checking to see if an update was recently 'pushed' to your phone. Since the Giulia's software has not changed, unless you have visited the dealer, this is the most likely cause.

·
Supporting Vendor
705 Posts
I've never noticed this working, but not many people text me either. So either it doesn't work or I'm just unpopular - I'll have to test it to find out.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have a Samsung G8 and I get the text alerts. First couple of times I tried listening to a text I heard nothing. Then I figured out I had to adjust the volume while the text was being read.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I’ve been in the house, away from the car all night, but I just noticed my iPX Bluetooth was still showing as connected to Alfa Connect. The car is shut off, so that’s some kind of glitch. I was unable to tap on the profile to disconnect it, so I cycled BT on and off.

Hopefully that’ll fix it; BT music and phone were working, just the SMS channel wasn’t, so I hadn’t thought to look at that.

EDIT: Yep, just checked, and that fixed it. The Infotainment system will again alert me to my SMS messages and read them aloud. Now, if we can just get the Reply feature enabled...

·
Registered
653 Posts
Now that you mention it . . .

Have you actually tried to send one of the canned responses? My iPhoneX reads the text but isn't able to send a reply as an error message pops up advising me that the feature isn't supported.
Now that you mention it, I don't think I ever have tried to use the "reply" feature. I have viewed them but never actually clicked one to see if it works. Will have to give that a test today.

·
Registered
2020 gulia
156 Posts
I'm curious is there any way that you can send a text message other than the standard ones they offer? it would be nice because the ones they offer have no value to me.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I'm curious is there any way that you can send a text message other than the standard ones they offer? it would be nice because the ones they offer have no value to me.
You can edit them to say what you want (provided it fits in the defined character limit), yes.

However, I don't think anyone can send SMS messages from the system. I've not heard of anyone being able to do it, that I can recall. I have no idea why this functionality doesn't work, but when I try it with my iPhoneX connected, I get an error message saying the feature isn't available or something like that.

·
Registered
573 Posts
You can edit them to say what you want (provided it fits in the defined character limit), yes.

However, I don't think anyone can send SMS messages from the system. I've not heard of anyone being able to do it, that I can recall. I have no idea why this functionality doesn't work, but when I try it with my iPhoneX connected, I get an error message saying the feature isn't available or something like that.
I have been able to send one of the standard messages with my Samsung S8 connected via bluetooth.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I have been able to send one of the standard messages with my Samsung S8 connected via bluetooth.
Oh! Good news! Maybe the inop issue is only iPhone.

·
Registered
653 Posts
really

That's a new one. How does the edit feature work? That could be fun!
"Stop disturbing me, I'm in my Giulia."

1 - 20 of 38 Posts