Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

201 - 212 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Spring has sprung 3 months early (note the mud on the exhaust pipe pictured above) and my driveway is very muddy.
Maybe some mud flaps are in my future?

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
The OEM axle-back section weighs in at 13.0 kg, so about 28 lbs.
At least that's what these guys measured:
I found my not very accurate scale finally and it says that the OEM system is 28.8 pounds.

Fabio says that the system he sold me weighs 5.5kg = 12.1 pounds, so >16 pounds of weight saved, plus a valved exhaust added, plus free-er flowing exhaust to allow me to take some advantage of an EC Phase 2 tune. The exhaust is still 2.5 inch and still has the OEM front crimped section, so it is not as wide open as the 3 inch straight pipe that EC used to get 392HP. Even so, I appear to be getting about 1MPG better fuel economy on the highway with the valve open, so there does seem to be some noticeable flow improvement.

Fabio's system in 304 stainless weighs 10.5kg.

My OEM system (430 stainless?) has some serious rust on it. Not exactly what I was expecting for a 2 year old muffler.

430 stainless is stronger than 304 stainless, but not as corrosion resistant. Stainless exhausts might behave better if treated a passivation chemical before installation.
Titanium is stronger than 430 stainless and almost corrosion proof until it gets above a magic temperature, then it corrodes so fast it will catch fire. I sure hope my exhaust never gets that hot.

Inconel is reportedly better still, but good luck with that.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
I've avoided the dirt roads (plenty of those around me) but have a good layer of Michigan, New York, and Ontario winter deposits. The back is even worse.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
FWIW: Nokian R3 tires are SNOW tires, not MUD tires. You need big chunky blocks to get traction in mud. It was a bit of a wild ride up my driveway and TC/ESC cut in hard a couple of times (very annoying when it cuts power). I may try powering through in D next time...

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Got my first Blackstone oil report back, from the 48k mile oil change:

Metals lower than average; some metals are much lower than average. No measurable fuel, water or coolant contamination. Viscosity etc in range. All of this in spite of my going 2000 miles longer than average before the oil change.

The only thing that looked at all abnormal was Boron at a little above twice average. How does Boron get in the oil?

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
So if I read it correctly, high Boron levels indicate that the oil is not "spent" and is actually a good thing.
Hopefully it does not indicate Boraxo hand soap contamination of the oil.

·
Super Moderator
2,116 Posts
So if I read it correctly, high Boron levels indicate that the oil is not "spent" and is actually a good thing.
Hopefully it does not indicate Boraxo hand soap contamination of the oil.
What oil?

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
What oil?
Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30. I'll try Motul at my next change; Motul also claims to meet the Fiat spec.

Curiously my oil fill indicator went from 1/3 (for 100 miles) to 1/2 (for 500 miles) to on the full mark. This electronic dipstick is wonky at best.

·
Super Moderator
2,116 Posts
Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30. I'll try Motul at my next change; Motul also claims to meet the Fiat spec.

Curiously my oil fill indicator went from 1/3 (for 100 miles) to 1/2 (for 500 miles) to on the full mark. This electronic dipstick is wonky at best.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Interesting. They did not test the Euro spec Pennzoil, nor the 0W-30 grade. However, their low rating for Motul (which version?) is perhaps alarming.

·
Super Moderator
2,116 Posts
Interesting. They did not test the Euro spec Pennzoil, nor the 0W-30 grade. However, their low rating for Motul (which version?) is perhaps alarming.
If you search his channel I believe there are a few other comparisons that may have the types tested.

201 - 212 of 212 Posts