Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to ordering a Giulia today. The dealer (Niello Maserati of Sacramento) was nicely set up and I was able to make some observations and measurements that I could not make at other dealers:

GROUND CLEARANCE
The bottom of the car is remarkably flat, with less than 1/4 inch variability. The fender skirts appear to be the lowest point, making it relatively easy to measure the ground clearance.

Note that Alfa states that the QV has 100mm = 4" of ground clearance. No QV was available to measure.

Q4 front fender skirt behind the front wheel is 6" off the ground.
Q4 rear fender skirt in front of the rear wheel is 7" off the ground.
The panels under the car are slightly higher than the fender skirts.

Q2 front fender skirt behind the front wheel is 5" off the ground.
Q2 rear fender skirt in front of the rear wheel is 6.5" off the ground.
The front fascia is about 1" higher than the fender skirts.

EXTRA VENTS THAT COME WITH THE SPORT PACKAGE

These are in the front grill. They do not vent to the engine compartment. Instead they are ducted to the front fender well and are apparently for brake cooling.

WHAT I ORDERED

Ti Q4 Trofeo White, 19" sport package, Red interior, Red calipers.
Ti Performance package.
High performance headlamps.
Ti leather package (the test drive car had red stitching and red interior--VERY nice).
Forward collision warning, both driver assist packages.

Niello likes to install LoJack on all of their cars. It seemed rather overpriced ($995) and not necessarily very useful given where I intend to drive the car; unless it gets me a substantial discount on insurance. It is not optional on cars purchased from the lot (already installed) but may be avoided with an ordered car. What do y'all think?

Last week Niello had a Trofeo white Giulia in stock, but it was sold before I arrived. I sure hope it is worth the extra cost.

I ordered the high performance headlights on the assumption that they are an improvement over the standard headlights. I have not had any chance to try out either type of headlight.

I am also hoping for an insurance discount for the driver assist packages. I will probably turn them down (or off) as much as possible in use, at least when I am driving.

Niello had about 15 Giulias in stock as well as two 4Cs.

The Q4 with 19" sport package that they had available to test drive (Black, with all options) drove well. I found several of the often complained about features to be very nicely done, including start/stop, courtesy seat back, and the feel of the brakes. The A/C did not shut off with the engine, I presume because liquid refrigerant is stored in an accumulator. The steering is precise, although a bit softer than ideal. A mode makes the engine rumble like a big V8 and still allows big downshifts if you hit the accelerator hard; I did not find it sluggish. I did not try any fast starts. The engine is very quiet and the transmission is silent. I never heard any wind noise. Road/tire noise was similar to my Protege, in spite of the low profile run-flat tires. The only chance to test cornering was a freeway on ramp; this executed well but there was no chance to push the limits of the car or evaluate body roll. I did not observe any bounciness or wallowing. The tires were at about 36psi--a little high but much lower than the shipping pressure. Road noise would probably be lower with the correct inflation pressure.

The only real problem that I observed is that the camera/sensor pod on the windshield restricts forward visibility more than I would like. This can potentially be a problem in sharp right hand turns with an upward slope change. The view through the center rear view mirror is rather limited, I guess you are not supposed to need to look for what is behind you.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
lockem,
I too pulled the trigger yesterday, 7-3-17.
MY2018 Ti Q4
Black with tan (brown) gut
Lusso pkg
Ti performance pkg
HK premium audio
High performance Bi-Xenon
Forward collision warning pkg
Driver assistance static pkg
Sunroof
My rep said that Alfa has not given them exact pricing for the MY2018 cars and thus could not give me an exact MSRP or invoice price. She also told me to expect delivery in November.
Are you aware of the Affiliate Program (that everyone can enroll in) that will save you $$?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts

These are in the front grill. They do not vent to the engine compartment. Instead they are ducted to the front fender well and are apparently for brake cooling.
They are not for brake cooling. They're for drag reduction: air blown from the slots in the wheel wells forms a curtain in front of the wheel, reducing wheel well turbulence and keeping the flow closer to the sides of the car.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
MacGeek,
Please explain the details of the engine block heater in the 2.0.
Where is it located?
How does it operate?
Specifications?
Thanks,

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lockem,
I too pulled the trigger yesterday, 7-3-17.
MY2018 Ti Q4
Black with tan (brown) gut
Lusso pkg
Ti performance pkg
HK premium audio
High performance Bi-Xenon
Forward collision warning pkg
Driver assistance static pkg
Sunroof
My rep said that Alfa has not given them exact pricing for the MY2018 cars and thus could not give me an exact MSRP or invoice price. She also told me to expect delivery in November.
Are you aware of the Affiliate Program (that everyone can enroll in) that will save you $$?
No, I was not aware that the Affiliate Program is open to everyone. How do I sign up?

I was quoted about 5% off of the price that I get from the Alfa USA configurator, so maybe Niello already applied available discounts? The configurator used to list 2 prices: MSRP and "estimated cost" and I was previously looking at "MSRP" (I only see MSRP now), perhaps accounting for the difference? There is an additional current $1750 discount for buyers that own a non-FCA product (like my Mazda, no trade-in required), but Niello said that could be terminated at any instant and that what matters is what discounts are available when the car arrives.

Also, since I have a house in a lower sales tax area (1.7% lower than Silicon valley) I can register the car to that address and save a decent size chunk of change as well as getting more lenient smog checks. Anyway, I won't know the real price until the car arrives.

We had a short discussion about a lease, but I drive too many miles per year for that to work out.

Curiously the sales person said that they had first gotten a Giulia only about 3 months ago and as a result did not have any chance to get feedback from Q4 owners regarding drive ability in the snow on the "local" roads. My pointing out that it was still snowing 3 months ago fell on deaf ears (FWIW: at least 2 ski resorts are open today July 4 2017).

Disturbing observations included: not much customer activity at the dealership and a Maserati Ghibli being towed away from the service department as-if the car had problems that they couldn't deal with.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are not for brake cooling. They're for drag reduction: air blown from the slots in the wheel wells forms a curtain in front of the wheel, reducing wheel well turbulence and keeping the flow closer to the sides of the car.
MacGeek,

Thanks for the correction. Where did you find this information? I'm all for drag reduction, but get nervous about brakes overheating on the roads I drive and tend to engine brake a lot. Engine braking is not ideal when trying to make the best time through the curves, but overheating the brakes can be disastrous. Too bad cars don't have brake temperature sensors.

In some descents along Sonora Pass with my manual transmission Mazda I end up in 2nd gear, the engine at the red line and still having to apply the brakes hard.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I didn't find the information, I just know it both from my (admittedly extremely basic) aero knowledge, and because I've talked to the engineers, designers and aerodynamicists.

Besides, it's quite a common aero feature.

Here's the equivalent on a Mustang:

On a Mercedes:

On a Ford pickup:

The optionally available slots in the front bumper on the 4C serve the same purpose.

The small vertical flaps you often see protruding down from the car in front of the wheel wells are also there to reduce wheel well turbulence. The Giulia has those as well.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: order was REJECTED by AR because the NAV option was not included. Does anybody know if NAV is mandatory for 2018 and if not, what option I might have ordered that supposedly makes it mandatory?

The dealer is currently discussing this with AR, but that tends to be rather one sided. I certainly don't want an order accepted and then left partially assembled in Cassino indefinitely like they have been known to do.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Don't know what option is making it a must have for you. I was talked into it with the "promise" that the nav option is what would allow the code update for CarPlay live traffic etc. looking more like it's a $1,000 paperweight in the 2017's. Hope your 2018 nav ends up being worth something.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I didn't find the information, I just know it both from my (admittedly extremely basic) aero knowledge, and because I've talked to the engineers, designers and aerodynamicists.

Besides, it's quite a common aero feature.

Here's the equivalent on a Mustang:

On a Mercedes:

On a Ford pickup:

The optionally available slots in the front bumper on the 4C serve the same purpose.

The small vertical flaps you often see protruding down from the car in front of the wheel wells are also there to reduce wheel well turbulence. The Giulia has those as well.
Hey Mac. Given your adavantageous line of communication with Alfa, perhaps you can find out about disabling ESC / TC
:)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Don't know what option is making it a must have for you. I was talked into it with the "promise" that the nav option is what would allow the code update for CarPlay live traffic etc. looking more like it's a $1,000 paperweight in the 2017's. Hope your 2018 nav ends up being worth something.
I was told the same thing from my Dealer that Car Play/Android Auto would be coming soon with an update. Of course he also tried to show me the touch zoom on the rotar knob while in Nav that didn't work. When I questioned the traffic updates my salesman told me that the Nav wasn't very good and suggested using Car Play when it was updated.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I finally got around to ordering a Giulia today. The dealer (Niello Maserati of Sacramento) was nicely set up and I was able to make some observations and measurements that I could not make at other dealers:

GROUND CLEARANCE
The bottom of the car is remarkably flat, with less than 1/4 inch variability. The fender skirts appear to be the lowest point, making it relatively easy to measure the ground clearance.

Note that Alfa states that the QV has 100mm = 4" of ground clearance. No QV was available to measure.

Q4 front fender skirt behind the front wheel is 6" off the ground.
Q4 rear fender skirt in front of the rear wheel is 7" off the ground.
The panels under the car are slightly higher than the fender skirts.

Q2 front fender skirt behind the front wheel is 5" off the ground.
Q2 rear fender skirt in front of the rear wheel is 6.5" off the ground.
The front fascia is about 1" higher than the fender skirts.

WHAT I ORDERED

Ti Q4 Trofeo White, 19" sport package, Red interior, Red calipers.
Ti Performance package.
High performance headlamps.
Ti leather package (the test drive car had red stitching and red interior--VERY nice).
Forward collision warning, both driver assist packages.

Niello likes to install LoJack on all of their cars. It seemed rather overpriced ($995) and not necessarily very useful given where I intend to drive the car; unless it gets me a substantial discount on insurance. It is not optional on cars purchased from the lot (already installed) but may be avoided with an ordered car. What do y'all think?

Last week Niello had a Trofeo white Giulia in stock, but it was sold before I arrived. I sure hope it is worth the extra cost.

I ordered the high performance headlights on the assumption that they are an improvement over the standard headlights. I have not had any chance to try out either type of headlight.

I am also hoping for an insurance discount for the driver assist packages. I will probably turn them down (or off) as much as possible in use, at least when I am driving.

Niello had about 15 Giulias in stock as well as two 4Cs.

The Q4 with 19" sport package that they had available to test drive (Black, with all options) drove well. I found several of the often complained about features to be very nicely done, including start/stop, courtesy seat back, and the feel of the brakes. The A/C did not shut off with the engine, I presume because liquid refrigerant is stored in an accumulator. The steering is precise, although a bit softer than ideal. A mode makes the engine rumble like a big V8 and still allows big downshifts if you hit the accelerator hard; I did not find it sluggish. I did not try any fast starts. The engine is very quiet and the transmission is silent. I never heard any wind noise. Road/tire noise was similar to my Protege, in spite of the low profile run-flat tires. The only chance to test cornering was a freeway on ramp; this executed well but there was no chance to push the limits of the car or evaluate body roll. I did not observe any bounciness or wallowing. The tires were at about 36psi--a little high but much lower than the shipping pressure. Road noise would probably be lower with the correct inflation pressure.

The only real problem that I observed is that the camera/sensor pod on the windshield restricts forward visibility more than I would like. This can potentially be a problem in sharp right hand turns with an upward slope change. The view through the center rear view mirror is rather limited, I guess you are not supposed to need to look for what is behind you.
was that measurement for the front or rear on QV i heard QV is low in Rear then Front

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well yeah. I don't understand wanting NAV built in to the car at all. Why not put my cell phone on a mount and use the system built into it? Unlike the car system, the cell phone can be upgraded to add features and is easily replaced if it dies. The only explanation I have been able to get is that the cell phone doesn't work if I drive outside of a serviced area but even then I think major roads are still known and displayed.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
was that measurement for the front or rear on QV i heard QV is low in Rear then Front
The 100mm ground clearance number is from the AR specification sheet for Giulia Quadrifoglio. I do not know where it was measured. I would not be surprised if the underside of QV is level, which many people will perceive as a nose up configuration.

Maserati of Stevens Creek got a QV in stock last week, but I don't know if it is still there and I don't have the time to go by and measure it.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Next update: Niello Maserati now tells me that AR tells them that NAV is not an option on 2018 Giulias: you get it always. That doesn't sound right to me, but I added the unwanted NAV system to my order since I don't want to try to argue with them.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Next update:

The car is scheduled to arrive sometime this week. It will go directly to Imperial Works for Xpel, ceramic coating, rear window tinting, and some trim bits installation. Hopefully I will be able to post pictures in a few weeks.

A while back someone posted a link to Umbrella Design's VRH system, which is of great interest to me. They tell me that they can modify the suspension to be able to raise or lower the vehicle height, but they need to modify the shocks to convert them to be coil overs as the first step. Niello tells me that a duplicate set of the adaptive shocks costs $4400 ?! I wonder if these are available for a sensible price, perhaps directly from the OEM? Does anybody know who is the OEM?

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Next update: Window sticker issued 1/10. It was not there 1/9. Still no car at the dealership. AR claimed it would be delivered by 1/11.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Next update: Window sticker issued 1/10. It was not there 1/9. Still no car at the dealership. AR claimed it would be delivered by 1/11.
You are getting closer. I am still waiting for my Window Sticker to populate. I am sure shipping is going to take some time to get to Northern Idaho. My dealer is showing 13 Giulias as In Transit on their site, one of them being mine.

1 - 20 of 212 Posts