Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Miller Motors had a special Memorial Day weekend event with a Walter’s hot dog truck and test drives of a Vulcano Black Stelvio QV with red dash and red stitching. Looked stunning in the sunshine and the red dash treatment was a nice highlight on what would have been a very dark car overall.

Impressions from an everyday QV driver are that it is pretty close overall. A little more roll and felt a bit softer but leagues ahead of any SUV I’ve ever driven. The steering is very good too. I felt very at home in it and just felt a little higher up. Very fast but hard to tell any acceleration differences and it doesn’t really feel front heavy like most AWD cars like many Audi’s tend to. Most noticeable was it seems significantly louder than the QV, maybe the big open cargo area enhances the bassy exhaust? Overall it’s a pretty fantastic vehicle and if it had been available when I bought my QV I might have considered it. I’m still in love with my QV but it’s a pretty exceptional SUV and the unobtrusive AWD system makes for a a better all weather package. Alfa done good!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Miller Motors had a special Memorial Day weekend event with a Walter’s hot dog truck and test drives of a Vulcano Black Stelvio QV with red dash and red stitching. Looked stunning in the sunshine and the red dash treatment was a nice highlight on what would have been a very dark car overall.

Impressions from an everyday QV driver are that it is pretty close overall. A little more roll and felt a bit softer but leagues ahead of any SUV I’ve ever driven. The steering is very good too. I felt very at home in it and just felt a little higher up. Very fast but hard to tell any acceleration differences and it doesn’t really feel front heavy like most AWD cars like many Audi’s tend to. Most noticibable was it seems significantly louder than the QV, maybe the big open cargo area enhances the bassy exhaust? Overall it’s a pretty fantastic vehicle and if it had been available when I bought my QV I might have considered it. I’m still in love with my QV but it’s a pretty exceptional SUV and the unobtrusive AWD system makes for a a better all weather package. Alfa done good!
Oh man. That looks pretty sporty. I love the design. Buyers remorse for not waiting for the SUV QV Nah. I am still a happy camper. Plan to hold off a bit on another Alfa plunge to see what other goodies come out and see how this Alfa things rolls out. I hope well because that is one cool looking Stelvio QV.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Nice thanks for sharing. It’s almost spec like my Giulia. First report I’ve heard that wasn’t a magazine writer.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I've read/watched every test and impression of it, and at higher speeds it seems to suffer from some understeer even before the AWD kicks in, so seems to be the result of the 50/50 weifgt distribution being slightly compromised by the front diff weight and the intended load carrying ability.
After careful consideration, I have determined that a roughly equal weight of rear subframe cross bracing is in order, which will improve the balance, reduce the forward weight transfer under braking, delay/reduce the transfer of power to the front, and by revising the polar moment of inertia, give a slightly more frisky rear bias experience.
I don't weigh much and the thing is plenty fast for horseshoes, so any effect on acceleration will probably go unnoticed.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts

Impressions from an everyday QV driver are that it is pretty close overall. A little more roll and felt a bit softer but leagues ahead of any SUV I’ve ever driven. The steering is very good too. I felt very at home in it and just felt a little higher up. Very fast but hard to tell any acceleration differences and it doesn’t really feel front heavy like most AWD cars like many Audi’s tend to. Most noticeable was it seems significantly louder than the QV, maybe the big open cargo area enhances the bassy exhaust? Overall it’s a pretty fantastic vehicle and if it had been available when I bought my QV I might have considered it. I’m still in love with my QV but it’s a pretty exceptional SUV and the unobtrusive AWD system makes for a a better all weather package. Alfa done good!
this had to be yesterday I'm guessing by the fotos of the weather??...

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've read/watched every test and impression of it, and at higher speeds it seems to suffer from some understeer even before the AWD kicks in, so seems to be the result of the 50/50 weifgt distribution being slightly compromised by the front diff weight and the intended load carrying ability.
After careful consideration, I have determined that a roughly equal weight of rear subframe cross bracing is in order, which will improve the balance, reduce the forward weight transfer under braking, delay/reduce the transfer of power to the front, and by revising the polar moment of inertia, give a slightly more frisky rear bias experience.
I don't weigh much and the thing is plenty fast for horseshoes, so any effect on acceleration will probably go unnoticed.
My test drive was only about 10 minutes but I think it’s fair to say it noticeably feels heavier and taller; not obnoxiously so but it feels less tidy and tossable compared to the QV. The QV to me always feels like a traditional real wheel car and the Stelvio quad doesn’t quite feel that way but doesn’t feel at all like an Audi SQ5, which I have a little seat time in, for example. I think the added weight and height means you’re going to get some less than ideal weight transfer along with even more of center of gravity penalty if you get the sunroof which you can’t get on the Giulia QV. Still it didn’t feel much like a regular SUV.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Wish I'd known about this....I would have made the trip ....

·
Registered
576 Posts
Did not test drive it, but did check it out today. Excellent seating position, and actually love the color...but on on the Stelvio QV. Very tempting!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts