Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously thinking about getting a Quad to replace my track car. I finally had a chance to swing by an Alfa dealer and try it. Let me just start by saying I am not a big fan of the exterior, but I do like the interior quite a bit more than the BMWs. The size is very good for a 4 door sedan, I do wish it has slightly more legroom and the front bumper is slightly lower. Still, none are deal breaker.

There are a few concerns I have with the car, I want to see if you guys find it to be a problem or is there something you can do about it.

#1 The car seems to shake a lot at idle. I am just expecting a smoother idle operation for a "luxury sport sedan". It's not a deal breaker, but it might be for my wife.
#2 The euro bmw blinker. WTF, I think I was driving around with my blinker on the whole time as I can't turn it off
#3 Ride seems to be okay, definitely not a smooth ride but tolerable. Road noise seems reasonable, do you guys find it harsh?
#4 The rear view camera is awful....

Other than that, the car is a dream sedan to have. The steering is amazing and the engine and transmission are just mesmerizing. If I can talk my wife into it, I want to do it....

Oh yeah, I hope htey can lower hte prices too

·
Registered
423 Posts
QV to "replace your track car"...you have a quite a few creature comfort complaints.

Feel the engine at idle? It's a sports sedan, adds to the experience.
Not sure about the blinker, I assume operator error.
Ride? check out the DNA suspension settings. QV ride quality is praised as the best in this segment, comfort or sport settings.
Rear view camera?! How much are you going to be backing up on the track? And if the rear view camera is a deal breaker on this kind of car, not sure the QV was right for you in the first place.

Lower price? Strongville OH Alfa Romeo consistently offers very competitive pricing. Plus dealers in the southeast have been offering ~10K off MSRP. Deals are out there if you shop around.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Mine arrived from Strongsville yesterday! I noticed occasionally the idle is lumpy. Not quite a misfire but as if it hiccups - it is a little weird, probably an Alfa quirk with this engine. The road noise is a little strong but chiefly has to do with tires. The tires have a low wear (for better stickiness) so we'll all have the opportunity to change them if desired really soon (some sooner than others). Try on a BMW with runflats (at least the '06-'12 vintage). I've read about the blinker but I think I was able to cancel if very slightly pushing in the opposite direction. I would say it doesn't auto cancel quickly until the wheel is much closer to center than other cars. I know everyone sneers about the rear view display but try backing up a 911 wide-body pre-camera like my 2013. I think the reality with this car and it's short development cycle is that some compromises or unfinished business were left on the table. Overall I think its a great vehicle, especially if purchased at discount.

·
Registered
38 Posts
For the blinker, when you engage it, and it doesn't cancel, you have to tap in the opposite direction to cancel. nothing else cancels it. Add this to the list of "italian design"

·
Registered
191 Posts
The ride quality differs quite a bit between natural and dynamic modes. Natural offers more of a luxury car suspension feel.

I have not noticed loud road noise or rough idle. The road noise is equal to my Lexus which is one of the best cars I have owned as far as road noise is concerned.

If you buy this car it is for the engine, chassis and handling. There are one or two little comfort things I would change also but it is totally outweighed by the performance of the vehicle.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Quick, someone needs to tell the OP they're doing it all wrong, and that they just need to concentrate-- did I get that right, or was it masturbate?-- on the "driving experience," and then all those things that you experience while driving, er, that is, the things that you experience while driving but that you dislike, all those, suddenly become trivial. Irrelevant, even, like the turn signal glitch; you're the only one who even noticed it!

Reactions: lowlight

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,773 Posts
A one-and-done poster?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Irrelevant, even, like the turn signal glitch; you're the only one who even noticed it!
There's no glitch. when the signal is on, it stays on until the wheel is back center. If want to deactivate it without going back to center, you push in the other direction. Just like all turning signals made in the last 50 years.
The only difference is that those would stick down or up and you had to move them back to center. This one has no "sticking" and goes back to center by itself. I find it as an advancement in design.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
There's no glitch. when the signal is on, it stays on until the wheel is back center. If want to deactivate it without going back to center, you push in the other direction. Just like all turning signals made in the last 50 years.
The only difference is that those would stick down or up and you had to move them back to center. This one has no "sticking" and goes back to center by itself. I find it as an advancement in design.
I was being facetious and snarky! It even takes a fairly substantial effort to click the stalk into continuous mode, rather than the quick 5-blink mode.

I gotta say, though, I haven’t driven a car without auto-canceling since maybe ever! The oldest car I’ve ever had was a ‘69 Volvo, and I think that auto-canceled on return to center.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I was being facetious and snarky! It even takes a fairly substantial effort to click the stalk into continuous mode, rather than the quick 5-blink mode.

I gotta say, though, I haven’t driven a car without auto-canceling since maybe ever! The oldest car I’ve ever had was a ‘69 Volvo, and I think that auto-canceled on return to center.
Are we driving the same car? The quick mode is 3 blinks, and it does auto cancel when you turn the wheel and then return it to center. The only time you need to cancel manually is when you don't turn the wheel enough, say only to switch lanes for example, which also happened to other cars.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Are we driving the same car? The quick mode is 3 blinks, and it does auto cancel when you turn the wheel and then return it to center. The only time you need to cancel manually is when you don't turn the wheel enough, say only to switch lanes for example, which also happened to other cars.
Ah, 3 blinks, yes...but yeah, the Giulia auto-cancels, as has every car I've ever owned, I think, since that awesome '69 Volvo 164E. I thought you had said the auto-canceling Giulia was an "advancement in design," for the auto-canceling, which struck me as strange since it has been around so long, but apparently I misunderstood what you were saying.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The three blinks which many folks don't get, especially in the US where directional signals are rarely used, is for signaling lane changes and is just three blinks.

It would be so amazing if people used them, especially before they change lanes, does no good after.

This is not the auto cancel of the continuous signal.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tyresian

·
Registered
68 Posts
The car does shake at idle. More than any other car iIve had. I'd say I've gotten used to it. My wife couldn't care less. Would I prefer the car didn't shake at idle? Of course. It's not a deal breaker though. I also purchased the car without ever test driving...

You'll get used to the turn signals. I never had a problem with them, but I can see why people find them difficult.

The ride is smooth! In "N" mode i feel like it's as smooth as my wife's Audi. However I usually drive in "D" or race. I prefer the firm ride. I don't find the road noise to be any more or less intrusive than any other car. Most of the time I can't hear the road cause the engine is too loud (that's a good thing). I do find that there is a bit too much wind noise coming out of my driver side window at 70+ mph that I will have the dealer look at when I bring it in for service. However it could just be a defect in my car...

Rear view camera serves it's purpose. Resolution sucks, but who cares. I have eyes if I need to see whats in back.

There are all kinds of weird things about the car that I could live without. The loud seatbelt chimes, door chimes, no-key chimes, parking sensor beeps, etc. I find the infotainment to be a bit lacking. The HK sound system is pretty poor. However I don't regret the purchase at all. I've only had the car for 4 months and have yet to deal with any reliability issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is one issue with the indicators in this car that takes some getting used to. When you're entering a roundabout and turning right (were talking RHD drive cars here), you lock the indicator on RH. When you go to exit the roundabout you need to give LH indication that you are exiting. In most other cars you can just tap the LH indicator and it will indicate left for 3 blinks. In this car's case the LH tap does nothing other than cancel the RH indication that you locked on before. You then need to either tap LH indicator again or lock in the LH indicator to get it to signal left. No big deal, you do get used to it, but I've never driven a car that operates in the same way.

If you are in a LHD car switch RH for LH above and vice versa ;)

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
There is one issue with the indicators in this car that takes some getting used to. When you're entering a roundabout and turning right (were talking RHD drive cars here), you lock the indicator on RH. When you go to exit the roundabout you need to give LH indication that you are exiting. In most other cars you can just tap the LH indicator and it will indicate left for 3 blinks. In this car's case the LH tap does nothing other than cancel the RH indication that you locked on before. You then need to either tap LH indicator again or lock in the LH indicator to get it to signal left. No big deal, you do get used to it, but I've never driven a car that operates in the same way.

If you are in a LHD car switch RH for LH above and vice versa ;)
I can’t recall if that’s a unique operating procedure or not, but I do like that manually canceling a locked signal does not trigger the opposite signal; it seems more tidy, deliberate and accurate.

What I don’t understand is why you signal when entering a roundabout since there is only one way to go, but also, how do you exit a roundabout to the left??! A roundabout flow is anti-clockwise (to the right), so left would be towards the center. What am I missing? How can you exit a circle by turning in the opposite direction from which you entered?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Why would someone buy a brand new QV as a “track car”. Sure it is the fastest sedan around the Ring. But most tracks aren’t anything like this. I’d be getting a used Lotus Exige or Ariel Atom. These are awesome as dedicated track cars that you can drive to the track. Also cheaper on brakes and other repairs. And I wouldn’t care about the blinkers or a rough idle. To each their own I guess.

·
Registered
202 Posts
#1 The car seems to shake a lot at idle. I am just expecting a smoother idle operation for a "luxury sport sedan". It's not a deal breaker, but it might be for my wife.
#2 The euro bmw blinker. WTF, I think I was driving around with my blinker on the whole time as I can't turn it off
#3 Ride seems to be okay, definitely not a smooth ride but tolerable. Road noise seems reasonable, do you guys find it harsh?
#4 The rear view camera is awful....

Other than that, the car is a dream sedan to have. The steering is amazing and the engine and transmission are just mesmerizing.
#1 Yes, the car seems to shake at idle and I love that. It makes me smile every morning and reminds me that I what I have is a monster eager to just leap like a cheetah and its not a house cat.
#2 That is not an issue. Probably just a matter of getting used to. Works as designed and I like the way it works.
#3 Since its not a luxury sedan its ride is not going to be cushy and insulated. This is a sports car that can do double duty as a regular car. Even in its softest setting it is not going to be a super smooth, cushy or quiet ride. If you want that, this is not the car. Personally, I think it is perfect.
#4 Rear view camera viewport (on screen) is very small but the camera quality is ok (not great but not bad either).

·
Registered
316 Posts
The minor problem I have with the turn signals is that you have to turn too far for auto-cancelling to work. Both my other cars auto-cancel on turns that the Giulia doesn't. Probably its a factor of that high steering ratio that doesn't require the wheel to be turned as far, but I think it would be better if it activated a bit sooner.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts