Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall, ive been getting absolutely GARBAGE gas mileage. Ive averaged 14mpg since beginning of lease. Most of that was in N and D mode, with a fair amount of aggressive driving.

After I realized I was getting horrible mpg, I chilled out and switched to A mode and started driving like a grandma and keeping rpms under 2k. I reset trip B to watch the mpg, and after about 4 days of normal city driving like a granny in A mode and having started the average mpg from scratch im still getting about 13 mpg. I filled up a week ago and the fuel gauge already reads half gone, and Ive only put about 80 miles on since filling up. The advertised mpg is 24-28 city and this drastically falls short even in economy mode. What. the heck. is going on?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Just gonna go ahead and ask a few of the questions that are going to come up to make this more productive:

What Year/model?
Build Date?
Are you driving in automatic or manually shifting?
Do you use auto start/stop?

In A mode and driving in the city, 13 mpg definitely seems low but I'm not sure where to begin speculating what your issue might be.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My TI Q4 gets 25 -27 in everyday driving on all sorts of roads and I hammer it a bit on occasion in D and run most of the time in N.

I think I'd take it in for an exam with your dealer...the mileage you report is QV like I'd guess.

Just a note on mine, I never use stop / start, it is the first button after the start button.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Take it in - it's new, it's advertised one way and works another, they should fix it right away. I posted elsewhere about an experiment I ran, and even in N and D you should be able to clear 22 easy even in all-urban driving. I'm guessing from your indignation that you usually are close to manufacturer's claims for mileage.
http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/269833-post56.html

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,383 Posts
What's your tire pressure? Is there any chance the parking brake may be dragging? Stop start is good for maybe 1 or 2 mpg, so restoring it won't address the issue fully.

My 2017 AWD Ti gets 22-24 around town without any hypermiling efforts. There's no reason your Ti shouldn't achieve similar.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Agree that 23-26 should be easily achievable, so definately see the dealer. So, otherwise, my thoughts:

Stop/Start not working is possibly indicative of an issue. Have all the RRT’s been done?

Second thought, what type of gasoline are you using (brand and octane)?

Thirdly, at 13-14 mpg, a tank of gas is worth about 190-200 miles, so you seem to drive less than 100 miles a week. That’s probably 15 or less miles a day, which might be why the Stop/Start doesn’t work, battery charge too low? Also, such short trips kill gas mileage. Is it possible to take a short, day long road trip, put about 300 or more miles on the car? See how your mileage responds, and if it increases with some highway driving.

Finally, short trips increase the chance of injectors clogging, so run some Techron through the system.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Agree with all. My commute is very short, just 5 miles or less each way, with a gym stop I do 10 miles a day with 3 startups. I get about 21/22 driving in this fashion and I drive relatively aggressive.

Something is not quite right. The fact your stop/start doesn't work raises questions as to.what is going on. Take it to the dealer.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
From my experience, stop start does not activate when rear defroster is on. I’m not sure if you have yours on or not.

What octane of fuel are you using?

If you are only doing city driving I’m not surprised that the car is showing approx 13mpg. Mine only jumps up once I do some cruising on the highway. Otherwise after filling up and resetting My average will be quite low.

I average around 21mpg with mixed city and highway driving, round trip of 60 miles.

I’d get the car up to highway speed and break it in a little bit. I’m not sure how many miles you have on the car but most of the time the car is adjusting constantly to your style of driving. If you already have done that, my aplogies for mentioning it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Stop and go around town, Start/Stop does not function at 6500 ft I get 18mpg in N mode. In Economy mode on road trip I get 32 at 75mph steady driving.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Based on previous threads regarding this topic, it seems many of us who live in big cities like Dallas, LA, Miami, etc are getting like 16-17 mpg in the city. I'm personally seeing about 16.8-17 on average. My typical commute to work takes anywhere from 10-20 minutes to travel 2 miles, passing through about 5 stop lights on average. My average vehicle speed is about 14-15 mph since getting the car. However, when I take my car on the highway and do longer distances, I am easily hitting 33+ mpg as was advertised. The EPA estimated city driving is not accurate of non-stop stop and go traffic over short distances that you'd find if you lived near the downtowns of any big cities.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Houston here and I get 25-26. This is with AC running and easily hitting 85 sometimes. But, I will say my commute isn't solid bumper to bumper.

Only time I've seen anything near to this is on a fresh tank and pure D-mode driving like a crazy person on a short trip, i.e. <10 miles. Smooth it out with a little highway driving and it comes right back up.

OP, do you ever get on the highway? I mean, afterall, city driving assumes some driving, If you spend 50 minutes idling for a 5 mile trip your MPG will be garbage, even is the S/S worked.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey yall, ive been getting absolutely GARBAGE gas mileage. Ive averaged 14mpg since beginning of lease. Most of that was in N and D mode, with a fair amount of aggressive driving.

After I realized I was getting horrible mpg, I chilled out and switched to A mode and started driving like a grandma and keeping rpms under 2k. I reset trip B to watch the mpg, and after about 4 days of normal city driving like a granny in A mode and having started the average mpg from scratch im still getting about 13 mpg. I filled up a week ago and the fuel gauge already reads half gone, and Ive only put about 80 miles on since filling up. The advertised mpg is 24-28 city and this drastically falls short even in economy mode. What. the heck. is going on?

The best way to check is to fill the tank, when the nozzle clicks off don't try and top off, record the miles on the car. Drive the car till you need gas again repeat this time write down how many miles you went and divide that with the number of gallons you put into the car. That will be your true gas mileage.

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,635 Posts
start stop doesnt work
what do you mean start/stop doesnt work?

if thats the case, you could be in engine protection mode or something like that

stop/start stops working if you have a problem

edit: ah ok, you meant stop/start doesnt do anything worthwhile ... ok, as you were

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I don't have a commute per se, but do mostly in-town surface roads, some sub-urban/country, and relatively little highway. I don't really monitor fuel economy, but I've seen it on the display a couple of times when cycling through the dash display, and it's been high 16s - 17mpg. The car is in the shop (collision) so I can't check right now.

I've often wondered about what seemed a disconnect between how people often talk about driving on the forums, needing LSD, the "crap" stock all-season Pirellis, and all that, and the frequent reports of +22mpg averages...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Based on previous threads regarding this topic, it seems many of us who live in big cities like Dallas, LA, Miami, etc are getting like 16-17 mpg in the city. I'm personally seeing about 16.8-17 on average. My typical commute to work takes anywhere from 10-20 minutes to travel 2 miles, passing through about 5 stop lights on average. My average vehicle speed is about 14-15 mph since getting the car. However, when I take my car on the highway and do longer distances, I am easily hitting 33+ mpg as was advertised. The EPA estimated city driving is not accurate of non-stop stop and go traffic over short distances that you'd find if you lived near the downtowns of any big cities.
I live in the suburbs outside LA(Simi valley so technically Ventura), commute into Santa Monica via canyon roads(which I don't drive super slow on, usually someone ends up in front of me slowing me down) and stop and go traffic on PCH.. I get 25mpg with A mode. There might be something to super short trips which don't heat the car up enough and keep it running rich.

The thing that sticks out to me is that my wife has driven the car around town and when returned it had terrible mpg. She did better on the freeway when she drove to Beverly Hills for work last weekend, but not as good as I get. Some people just have a heavy foot. With half the pressure on the gas pedal you often times get near the perceivable acceleration and less fuel is used. This can especially be true when on the freeway, it takes so very little throttle to keep the car at speed.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Some people just have a heavy foot. With half the pressure on the gas pedal you often times get near the perceivable acceleration and less fuel is used.
Heavy foot? True, but I find it hard to control the car's gear and trans behavior with "half pressure," which is why I'm thinking I'd enjoy something like EuroCompulsion's PedalPro would be nice for me. I'm finding that I need to be aggressive with the gas pedal to get the car to be in the right gear and response pattern for how I like to drive.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Heavy foot? True, but I find it hard to control the car's gear and trans behavior with "half pressure," which is why I'm thinking I'd enjoy something like EuroCompulsion's PedalPro would be nice for me. I'm finding that I need to be aggressive with the gas pedal to get the car to be in the right gear and response pattern for how I like to drive.

Then you will likely have to accept bad gas milage for the circumstances you plan to drive.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Then you will likely have to accept bad gas milage for the circumstances you plan to drive.
For sure...I don't even consider it "bad." It just is what it is. Interestingly, I get about the same MPG in my 4.4k lbs, 320hp, twin-turbo 6cyl Ford Edge Sport AWD. I guess I can only burn so much gas in the city...!

·
Registered
53 Posts
For sure...I don't even consider it "bad." It just is what it is. Interestingly, I get about the same MPG in my 4.4k lbs, 320hp, twin-turbo 6cyl Ford Edge Sport AWD. I guess I can only burn so much gas in the city...!

Yeah. My Challenger Scat Pack (6.4L) Averaged 22 on my same commute I have now, but for a few months i had to sit in stop and go on the 405 and average dropped to 15. I could get 32 on vegas drives. Can get low 40s in the Giulia on a long highway drive.

1 - 20 of 216 Posts