Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to share my terrible experience with my Giulia Quadrifoglio

I bought a brand new 2018 Giulia QV in March this year at Auto Gallery Santa Monica. Beautiful spec black on black wheels with black interior. Yellow calipers, this car was amazing. 78K USD spec. I am a car collector, I own many Porsche, and I also have a 74 GTV and a 88 Milano verde. I was looking to replace my Cayenne Turbo with something different. When I saw that car in the showroom it was love at first sight.

Took possession of the car in March, and decided to respect a very strict break-in procedure as well as doing an oil change after 1000 miles. After a week only and 60 miles, the engine check light came out. I brought back the car, they diagnosed a bad battery, replaced it, and in a matter of 24h, I had my car back, happy.

3 weeks after, 1100 miles, I started to hear a noise in the steering/suspension, every time I would take a sharp turn. I decided to bring it back to the service as well as changing the oil for the first time. Service advisor on the phone when I told him I wanted an oil change : “what for???, manufacturer does not recommend this, laughing at me”. Well I could have spent 20 min talking about the benefits of changing the oil after 1000 miles but was it really necessary? I want an oil change, that’s my problem right? Anyway, that genius did not propose a loaner, and I came back home hoping to have my car back soon after that.

Well….this was 6 weeks ago, the car is still there, cover with dust, the whole front suspension out, lemon law lawyer involved, and me living with my frustration and waiting for my money back.

First week, communication by SMS with Mr Genius, “I have no news for you, we didn’t start the car, we are busy” (why did you ask me to bring the car on a tuesday then?). Second week “we take the whole front suspension appart, didn’t find anything wrong” Third week “we had to fly a special mechanic to LA who thinks we need to change the whole front subframe/suspension” Fouth week “waiting for parts” Fifth week “waiting for parts” Sixth Week “waiting for tooling, we never fixed that part so we don’t have the right tools”. At that point I lost my passion for that lemon of a car and decided it was over.

The whole time, I had to insist to have updates on the car, I always felt I was bothering that service advisor. Talking with service Manager, and Auto Gallery CEO, they both agreed at one point that the car would never be or feel the same, and I should ask for a replacement or my money back. I got in touch with Alfa Service Care department, telling them the whole story, they didn’t seem to realize the gravity if the situation. You buy a 80K + USD new car, drive it less than a month, and it’s blocked for 6 weeks for a problem they can’t fix. They call me back telling me “we are going to try our best to fix the car” after I clearly mentioned I wanted my money back OR a replacement.

At that point I contacted a Lemon Law lawyer who took my case quickly, told me it was an easy case, and Alfa was not very clever not to try to deal directly with me, as now they will also have to pay the lawyer fees.

But the whole process will still take time, I don’t expect to have my money back before September, it’s extremely frustrating… I am furious.

I told Auto Gallery CEO, I still loved that car and would even be ok to try my luck with another one, once I would get my money back, he then found the same spec, told me he would hold it for me, but come on….if I need to wait few months to get my money back… do I really want to give my money to Alfa again?

Plus Alfa won’t cover the 1600 usd front clear bra I installed after I bought the car…

I leave the best for the end. When I told the service advisor that I would stop by to pick up the stuff in my car, he answered “don’t forget to bring back the loaner car”…. That genius knew my case so well that he even didn’t remember that he never proposed one…

Well done Alfa Romeo …. your come back in USA is a success, you are following the path of Fiat and their wonderful consumers rating in this country!

·
Registered
691 Posts
I would like to share my terrible experience with my Giulia Quadrifoglio

I bought a brand new 2018 Giulia QV in March this year at Auto Gallery Santa Monica. Beautiful spec black on black wheels with black interior. Yellow calipers, this car was amazing. 78K USD spec. I am a car collector, I own many Porsche, and I also have a 74 GTV and a 88 Milano verde. I was looking to replace my Cayenne Turbo with something different. When I saw that car in the showroom it was love at first sight.

Took possession of the car in March, and decided to respect a very strict break-in procedure as well as doing an oil change after 1000 miles. After a week only and 60 miles, the engine check light came out. I brought back the car, they diagnosed a bad battery, replaced it, and in a matter of 24h, I had my car back, happy.

3 weeks after, 1100 miles, I started to hear a noise in the steering/suspension, every time I would take a sharp turn. I decided to bring it back to the service as well as changing the oil for the first time. Service advisor on the phone when I told him I wanted an oil change : “what for???, manufacturer does not recommend this, laughing at me”. Well I could have spent 20 min talking about the benefits of changing the oil after 1000 miles but was it really necessary? I want an oil change, that’s my problem right? Anyway, that genius did not propose a loaner, and I came back home hoping to have my car back soon after that.

Well….this was 6 weeks ago, the car is still there, cover with dust, the whole front suspension out, lemon law lawyer involved, and me living with my frustration and waiting for my money back.

First week, communication by SMS with Mr Genius, “I have no news for you, we didn’t start the car, we are busy” (why did you ask me to bring the car on a tuesday then?). Second week “we take the whole front suspension appart, didn’t find anything wrong” Third week “we had to fly a special mechanic to LA who thinks we need to change the whole front subframe/suspension” Fouth week “waiting for parts” Fifth week “waiting for parts” Sixth Week “waiting for tooling, we never fixed that part so we don’t have the right tools”. At that point I lost my passion for that lemon of a car and decided it was over.

The whole time, I had to insist to have updates on the car, I always felt I was bothering that service advisor. Talking with service Manager, and Auto Gallery CEO, they both agreed at one point that the car would never be or feel the same, and I should ask for a replacement or my money back. I got in touch with Alfa Service Care department, telling them the whole story, they didn’t seem to realize the gravity if the situation. You buy a 80K + USD new car, drive it less than a month, and it’s blocked for 6 weeks for a problem they can’t fix. They call me back telling me “we are going to try our best to fix the car” after I clearly mentioned I wanted my money back OR a replacement.

At that point I contacted a Lemon Law lawyer who took my case quickly, told me it was an easy case, and Alfa was not very clever not to try to deal directly with me, as now they will also have to pay the lawyer fees.

But the whole process will still take time, I don’t expect to have my money back before September, it’s extremely frustrating… I am furious.

I told Auto Gallery CEO, I still loved that car and would even be ok to try my luck with another one, once I would get my money back, he then found the same spec, told me he would hold it for me, but come on….if I need to wait few months to get my money back… do I really want to give my money to Alfa again?

Plus Alfa won’t cover the 1600 usd front clear bra I installed after I bought the car…

I leave the best for the end. When I told the service advisor that I would stop by to pick up the stuff in my car, he answered “don’t forget to bring back the loaner car”…. That genius knew my case so well that he even didn’t remember that he never proposed one…

Well done Alfa Romeo …. your come back in USA is a success, you are following the path of Fiat and their wonderful consumers rating in this country!
I would retitle your thread....terrible experience with a singular Alfa Romeo Service Department. What you've described isn't specific to Alfa Romeo or the Quadrifoglio but to any vehicle with a terrible dealer. Did you take it to another Alfa service center? I get your frustration with the service department and don't blame you for your actions. But I didn't read anything specific to 2018 QV...could have been any car.

Reactions: Bender

·
Registered
576 Posts
A BMW troll, yet again, no doubt. There is some serious craziness over in the M3/M4 Forum. Not sure why, but it’s rampant. Kind of sad, but guess that sort of defensive response is elicited when 3/4 series sales are being decimated by Alfa and Tesla.

·
Registered
702 Posts
That car isn't a lemon. The problem is well known over here in europe (especially germany) and has been fixed many times.
If the abilities of the technicians however match those of the service advisor, they might aswell turn it into one.

Seems to be another case of the dealer ruining the car and reputation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A BMW troll, yet again, no doubt. There is some serious craziness over in the M3/M4 Forum. Not sure why, but it’s rampant. Kind of sad, but guess that sort of defensive response is elicited when 3/4 series sales are being decimated by Alfa and Tesla.
What do you mean BMW troll?
You I need to show you the vin number? Photos of the car?
I currently own a 74 GTV and a 88 Milano Verde, why would I want to ruin the Brand?

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
That car isn't a lemon. The problem is well known over here in europe (especially germany) and has been fixed many times.
Is it a problem, per se, which needs fixed? I thought it was an element of the steering geometry, the Ackerman angle thing...

What is the "fix," and how does it affect steering or handling of the car (aside from, presumably, eliminating the tire scrubbing at full steering lock)?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the abilities of the technicians however match those of the service advisor, they might aswell turn it into one.

Seems to be another case of the dealer ruining the car and reputation.
Well, I wish that they had the same competence than the technicians in Europe, because I would have been more than happy to keep that car.
I was even ready to take another one, but the process to get it "lemonized" is so long that I don't really want to try my luck a second time.

It's a pity because nothing on the market at the moment is as desirable as this car, and the short moment I had it, I was amazed by the engine (and I also daily drive a 991.2 4S, which is boring compared to that QV)

·
Registered
702 Posts
This is something unrelated to the Ackerman thing.
If I recall correctly, the steering column needs to be changed.

I could provide you with links to the german forums if that's any help. :wink2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

They apparently flew a technician from the east coast, I don't really think he was able to diagnose the problem because I never got any feedback on the real cause of the problem, he just went with "replace the whole thing" solution.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts

Oh, I see. I am unfamiliar with the steering column issue, but our '17 GQ doesn't seem to have that problem, though it does make noise at slow speed, full steering lock turns. I'll investigate, and thanks for the offer of the link to the German forums, but I can't read German, unfortunately!

Reactions: peczenij

·
Registered
630 Posts
I would retitle your thread....terrible experience with a singular Alfa Romeo Service Department. What you've described isn't specific to Alfa Romeo or the Quadrifoglio but to any vehicle with a terrible dealer.
You can't pin this on the dealer alone. Alfa is partly to blame also. Afterall, they made the car. And if we are to believe the original poster, it is Alfa who cannot seem to supply parts, manage dealers, train technicians, offer timely and competent factory support to said technicians, communicate with customers re: repair progress, rental car program for warranty repairs, etc.

Did you take it to another Alfa service center?
How could he? The car is disassembled and collecting dust in the dealer's service bay. Once you embark down the path for a warranty repair you are stuck working with that dealer until the bitter end unless you are willing to pay for the repair costs out of pocket to both the original dealer who diagnosed the problem and partly disassembled the car and to whomever is willing to put Humpty Dumpty back together again (which no dealer would want to clean up after another one's mess). I don't know of any owner of any brand new vehicle who would be willing to pay out of pocket to repair something that is confirmed to be a warranty issue just so they could give another dealer a crack at it. This kind of situation is exactly what Lemon Law is for.

·
Registered
702 Posts
https://www.alfisti.net/alfa-forum/...9/124807-quietschende-lenkung-beseitigen.html

There it is.

First they are talking about a squeeking noise around the steering wheel and then about a knocking noise on full turns.
(2.0 Giulia, Giula QV and a Stelvio)
Apparently "replacing the steering" (whatever that means) has solved the knocking problem for at least 3 people.
Another one says it's gone away after 10k kilometers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can't pin this on the dealer alone. Alfa is partly to blame also. Afterall, they made the car. And if we are to believe the original poster, it is Alfa who cannot seem to supply parts, manage dealers, train technicians, offer timely and competent factory support to said technicians, communicate with customers re: repair progress, rental car program for warranty repairs, etc.

How could he? The car is disassembled and collecting dust in the dealer's service bay. Once you embark down the path for a warranty repair you are stuck working with that dealer until the bitter end unless you are willing to pay for the repair costs out of pocket to both the original dealer who diagnosed the problem and partly disassembled the car and to whomever is willing to put Humpty Dumpty back together again (which no dealer would want to clean up after another one's mess). I don't know of any owner of any brand new vehicle who would be willing to pay out of pocket to repair something that is confirmed to be a warranty issue just so they could give another dealer a crack at it. This kind of situation is exactly what Lemon Law is for.
I do agree that it might be relative to my special Giulia, but I agree with you that the way that the problem was handled with all party involved here (dealer, service, alfa care) was far from what you expect when you buy a 80K USD car.

When the service center tells you "we don't have the right tools to fix you car", you start to question the ability of Alfa Romeo to supply the right training and tooling to its service centers...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
https://www.alfisti.net/alfa-forum/...9/124807-quietschende-lenkung-beseitigen.html

There it is.

First they are talking about a squeeking noise around the steering wheel and then about a knocking noise on full turns.
Apparently "replacing the steering" (whatever that means) has solved the knocking problem for at least 3 people.

In my case it was on and off. Really weird... I was really hoping it would have been an easy fix. I really wanted to keep that car initially.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Clearly a DEALER ISSUE

I feel for you and your displeasure with your Quad but I believe your disappointment is not directed at the proper sources....I do acknowledge that "Hindsight is 20 / 20 " but I will refer to your thread for some issues that indicate that perhaps you are also partially responsible....

"3 weeks after, 1100 miles, I started to hear a noise in the steering/suspension, every time I would take a sharp turn. I decided to bring it back to the service as well as changing the oil for the first time. Service advisor on the phone when I told him I wanted an oil change : “what for???, manufacturer does not recommend this, laughing at me”. Well I could have spent 20 min talking about the benefits of changing the oil after 1000 miles but was it really necessary? I want an oil change, that’s my problem right? Anyway, that genius did not propose a loaner, and I came back home hoping to have my car back soon after that."

If a service manager was declining my desire to perform and oil change, and perhaps even moking me, I'd move on....Clearly this is a non motivated person / dealership....

This one is especially troublesome....

"I told Auto Gallery CEO, I still loved that car and would even be ok to try my luck with another one, once I would get my money back, he then found the same spec, told me he would hold it for me, but come on….if I need to wait few months to get my money back… do I really want to give my money to Alfa again?"

Give your money to Alfa again ? How about give your money to this DEALER AGAIN ? Why in God's name would you even consider ordering a replacement car from this group of misfits ? Perhaps a course in "Street Smarts" is in order here....

I feel for you, but this has nothing to do with the car and everything to do with the DEALER and the parent company that allows bozos like this to service and represent the brand...Sorry for you.....D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I feel for you and your displeasure with your Quad but I believe your disappointment is not directed at the proper sources....I do acknowledge that "Hindsight is 20 / 20 " but I will refer to your thread for some issues that indicate that perhaps you are also partially responsible....

"3 weeks after, 1100 miles, I started to hear a noise in the steering/suspension, every time I would take a sharp turn. I decided to bring it back to the service as well as changing the oil for the first time. Service advisor on the phone when I told him I wanted an oil change : “what for???, manufacturer does not recommend this, laughing at me”. Well I could have spent 20 min talking about the benefits of changing the oil after 1000 miles but was it really necessary? I want an oil change, that’s my problem right? Anyway, that genius did not propose a loaner, and I came back home hoping to have my car back soon after that."

If a service manager was declining my desire to perform and oil change, and perhaps even moking me, I'd move on....Clearly this is a non motivated person / dealership....

This one is especially troublesome....

"I told Auto Gallery CEO, I still loved that car and would even be ok to try my luck with another one, once I would get my money back, he then found the same spec, told me he would hold it for me, but come on….if I need to wait few months to get my money back… do I really want to give my money to Alfa again?"

Give your money to Alfa again ? How about give your money to this DEALER AGAIN ? Why in God's name would you even consider ordering a replacement car from this group of misfits ? Perhaps a course in "Street Smarts" is in order here....

I feel for you, but this has nothing to do with the car and everything to do with the DEALER and the parent company that allows bozos like this to service and represent the brand...Sorry for you.....D
Well, you might be right about that. But I didn't have any experience with any Alfa dealer before so I just took the one that was closer to where I live.
My particular service advisor was not keen to have the oil change, but when I specified this to the service manager, he actually found it surprising telling me "I do even recommend it to most of my QV customers".

The fact that they had to flew in a technician from Alfa, and that very technician was not really able to find the problem, I told myself that it was not that specific dealer's fault but that I was somehow the unlucky customer getting a lemon. And since I liked that car, I started to accept the idea of getting a 'replacement' car.

But since the whole process will take a lot of time, I guess I just don't want to give my money to any Alfa dealer again... Unless you tell me about a good one in LA that is well known to be able to deal with problems when they occur.

Again I loved that car... Man they day I saw it, I documented the whole process of buying it, taking photos and videos. I was like a kid. I own more valuable car, I was never that excited to pick up a new car. It was my dream spec (the only thing I would have spec differently, would have been the stitching, I wanted the green and white one)

·
Registered
691 Posts

The warning signs were there initially from the dealer before they even took possession of the car. At that point, I would have taken the car to a more competent, or at least a more sympathizing dealer.

To the OP....I'm certainly not suggesting you did anything grossly wrong, and that your experience wasn't terrible. By all accounts it was. All I'm saying is that categorizing the Quadrifoglio model in general as a lemon isn't realistic. Most of the blame lies within the dealer and their attitude. Partial blame certainly lies within Alfa Romeo not being able to properly train their dealers or provide them with adequate tools. And a very small amount of blame lies with you in not walking away from that dealer when they gave you attitude.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Premium Member
810 Posts

There it is.

There have been many on the forum with this issue. It's actually no more than 30min of work with the new part in stock. This is a dealer issue and service technician issue. Alfa is only at fault here because they possibly didn't train technicians well enough? You have to understand... if steering noise is the only issue on a brand new platform, i will bet on Alfa any day of the week vs. fill in the blank.

What confuses me the most though is that from what I understand, when an Alfa enters the bay for an issue, Italy get's somehow involved and provide oversight. How did the front-end come off and went that far? Perhaps the tech broke something during the process and made it worse? very possible. My dealer has not gotten many things right the first time, and 100% of the time my car has spent at the dealer has been because of the dealer and technician low competence level. But they have always made it right at the end and there's something to say about that.

I have had the steering issue and bad TPMS sensors, for a 2018... I'm ecstatic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I am amazed that a community of people online seem to be more knowledgable than the dealer...

For what I understand now, it was a pretty understood and well known problem, and it should have been fixed in a matter of days.... great...

This brand would be better served by its community of Alfistis than by its current dealer network...

Such a great and special car let down by a bad network...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts