Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I have access to a wheel factory and custom made 19x9 square-setup tecnico wheels for my non-QV giulia. This is great if you want tecnico design/weight savings but not the staggered 8.5"/10" setup.

Each wheel weighs 22 lbs

will post some pictures of the wheels later today.

Next week I will test fit on my TI with 255 tires and will post some pics.

if a lot of ppl are interested in this setup I can make more sets.

As for price I'm not sure yet as I need to calculate cost.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello,

I have access to a wheel factory and custom made 19x9 square-setup tecnico wheels for my non-QV giulia. This is great if you want tecnico design/weight savings but not the staggered 8.5"/10.5" setup.

Each wheel weighs 22 lbs

will post some pictures of the wheels later today.

Next week I will test fit on my TI with 255 tires and will post some pics.

if a lot of ppl are interested in this setup I can make more sets.

As for price I'm not sure yet as I need to calculate cost.
Interested!

·
Registered
520 Posts
definitely interested.

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
723 Posts
Count me in. I would prefer a bright wheel, but I love the design.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,746 Posts
Are these actual forged Tecnico wheels by Fuchs, or Tecnico style wheels made by some other company? If the later are these forged? Do OEM AR center caps fit? Are the lug bolt seats tapered the same as OEM? etc

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are these actual forged Tecnico wheels by Fuchs, or Tecnico style wheels made by some other company? If the later are these forged? Do OEM AR center caps fit? Are the lug bolt seats tapered the same as OEM? etc
No they are not actual tecnico by Fuchs. But they are forged.
My contact at the manufacturing place assured me the dimensions should be exactly the same. I don’t have a set of real ones to compare but by looking at pictures i have not been able to find any differences. Obviously offset and width will be different than real ones, and maybe the level of concave due to the width difference.
Like I said I will test fit on my ti to make sure everything is ok.

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
No they are not actual tecnico by Fuchs. But they are forged.
My contact at the manufacturing place assured me the dimensions should be exactly the same. I don’t have a set of real ones to compare but by looking at pictures i have not been able to find any differences. Obviously offset and width will be different than real ones, and maybe the level of concave due to the width difference.
Like I said I will test fit on my ti to make sure everything is ok.
Clearance to the outer face of the front brake caliper seems to be the most critical dimension. The OEM 19x8 5 holes have what looks like 2mm of clearance. The 19x8.5 Tecnicos have more.

I am not sure why the offset should be different from OEM unless you are working to tune the handling.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I am not sure why the offset should be different from OEM unless you are working to tune the handling.
Offset will be different since the Width of the wheel is different than the actual tecnicos. These are 19x9(30 offset) and the actual tecnicos are 19x8.5(34 offset) and 19x10(41 offset).

some calculations:
Front:
real tecnico: 8.5" width, 34mm offset
these wheels: 9" width, 30mm offset
which works out to be:
  • 2mm less inner clearance(brake calipers) than 8.5" tecnicos
  • stick out 10mm more than 8.5 tecnicos

Rear:
real tecnicos: 10" width, 41mm offset
these whees: 9" width, 30mm offset
which works out to be:
-24 mm more inner clearance than 10" tecnicos
-sticks out 2mm less than the 10" tecnicos

if you used the same offset as the 8.5" tecnicos(ie. 9" rim with 34 offset). you may have clearance problems, as you have 6mm less inner clearance(getting real close to the front calipers) on a 9 inch rim than same offset on a 8.5 inch rim.

The goal was to have 19x9 wheels without clearance issues front and back, and have similar flushness to the real tecnicos on the car. Again, these calculations will be verified once I test fit

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
I was told and was convinced that offset is the offset of the centerline of the tire/rim, which means from a handling perspective it should not depend on wheel width. For clearance purposes it may need to change with wheel width.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I was told and was convinced that offset is the offset of the centerline of the tire/rim, which means from a handling perspective it should not depend on wheel width. For clearance purposes it may need to change with wheel width.
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=101&ef_id=CjwKCAjwsNiIBhBdEiwAJK4khkxqgKlPx35nSkfrogsYeKsKxxzQJAnBedNTWwy76HiuW2jVAnSnDBoCOPQQAvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!354820921610!e!!g!!wheel offset&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=CjwKCAjwsNiIBhBdEiwAJK4khkxqgKlPx35nSkfrogsYeKsKxxzQJAnBedNTWwy76HiuW2jVAnSnDBoCOPQQAvD_BwE

if coming from the stock 8" square setup, the difference you may feel are:
  • the wider track width the car
  • extra tire width and more grip(depending on the tires you mount).

Other than that you should feel minimal differences in handling characteristics. Decreasing the offset would be like adding spacers(without dealing with the headaches of spacers), with a key difference:
- with spacers you are moving the weight of the entire wheel outwards, by lowering the offset, you are moving the hub in relation to the wheel barrel, and everything connecting from the hub to the wheel barrel will shift slightly with this change. So in terms of side to side weight distribution of the wheels compared to stock, it is slightly more "stock-like" to increase offset than running spacers.

And yes, decreasing the offset will give more brake clearance. But too much will give you other problems(ie. wheel/tire sticking out of the wheel wells = rock chips)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Fedex:poop: lost one of the tires I ordered so had to sort that out, thus the delay on the photos
Anyways got the tires mounted and did an alignment. No issues so far. here are some pictures

clearance on brake caliper:

both sides of front tire clearance at full steering wheel lock.

Took the car out for a thrash around twisty back roads this afternoon. No issues. Car feels much more planted
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Looks good. Outside edge of tire clearance looks close but what about clearance on the inside edge of the front tires and wheel well when at full lock?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Looks good. Outside edge of tire clearance looks close but what about clearance on the inside edge of the front tires and wheel well when at full lock?
I felt around on the inside edge with my hand on full lock. plenty of clearance. it was hard to take a picture from that angle so I don't have one.

This is the side that is closest(front wheel, front outer side), but still 1 finger of space at full lock:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts