Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gathering this information is not easy. If your car goes in for service, please let us know if any repairs are the result of TSB information. Please let us know and we'll add it here:

02-003-17
Chattering Noise While Steering:

This bulletin involves discussing a chattering that might be heard from the Alfa Romeo Giulia front suspension/tires. Ackerman angle while making tight turns while at parking speed. Information only. No service required.

04-001-17 Vehicle Quick Reference only. Defines the difference between a "Customer Concern"(CC) and a "Required Flash" (RF).

If the customer concern matches a symptom in any bulletin, the dealer must log the VIN and all pertinent info related to the car. A re-flash will only occur if the CC matches a known service bulletin. Cars that are flashed without the CC and requisite failure codes will result in dealer charge-backs. In other words, if it is not broke, don't ask for the flash.

RRT (rapid response transmittal) are essential flashes and must be confirmed by VIN.

05-004-17 (RRT) 17-037 all sold and un-sold VIN's apply. Brake pad sensor wiring. Parts: 2 wire ties and electrical tape. Ensure that wires are properly strapped to the brackets and proper wire travel can occur at full lock of the steering wheel left and right.

Locate the brake pad wear sensor harness and inspect the grommet position. Is the
grommet positioned between the two sets of tape on the wire harness
a. YES >>>
· For AWD vehicles: Right side only, remove the grommet from the bracket if it’s not
already disconnected and leave disconnected. Continue to the Repair Procedure
Step #1. Left side grommet, remove grommet from bracket if it’s not already
disconnected and wrap tape building up thickness of tape on the wire
harness and install the grommet on the bracket.
· For RWD vehicles: Disconnect the grommet from the bracket if it’s not already
disconnected, wrap tape building up thickness of tape on the wire harness
and install the grommet on the bracket. Continue to the Repair Procedure Step #1.
b. NO >>>
· For AWD vehicles: Right side grommet only, leave the grommet disconnected from
the bracket. Left side grommet, remove grommet from bracket if it’s not already
disconnected and position grommet between the two pieces of tape on the wire
harness. Wrap tape building up thickness of tape on the wire harness and
install the grommet on the bracket. Continue to the Repair Procedure Step #1.
· For RWD vehicles: Remove grommet from bracket if it’s not already disconnected
and position grommet between the two pieces of tape on the wire harness. Wrap
tape building up thickness of tape on the wire harness and install the
grommet on the bracket. Continue to the Repair Procedure Step #1.

Using a zip tie, secure the brake pad wear sensor harness to the brake metal caliper bracket if not already installed.

08-041-17 Rev. A (RRT) 17-052
. Infotainment update - all Giulia models 6.5 and 8.8" displays. Techs should use 16GB flash drive maximum and be formatted as NTFS only. The procedures for updating the infotainment system and map is quite intense. Dealers are allotting a half day to perform the operations.

Symptoms are mild to wild:

• Navigation takes too long to recover after losing satellite signal.
• Certain Android phones have reduced Bluetooth functionality.
• Display is stuck on black screen.
• Display frozen on Alfa Romeo logo.
• Radio intermittently reboots.
• Oil level displayed on the ETM is incorrect.
• Autoplay does not maintain “ON” status after the network goes to sleep.
• Park Assist Module (PAM) graphics stayed on screen even after dismissing via Rotary Pad.
• Loss of favorite contacts.
• Lane Departure menu option available in a vehicle without the lane departure warning option.

In addition, the following improvements are included:

• Radio station preset bar updated to include seven presets and a shortcut to the rest of the presets.
• Radio menu updated to show frequency, stations, names, and favorite numbers.
• Remove kilohertz (KHz) and megahertz (MHz) and show frequency in figures.
• Show three alternative navigation routes, instead of just one.
• Reduce Point Of Interest (POI) categories and show address, phone number, and direction.
• Improve location input for navigation routing.
• The zoom feature on navigation map can be accessed without changing menus.
• When using navigation guidance, more details will be given on the next turn, exit number,
street name, and complete address.
• Numbers are larger on the touch screen when dialing.
• Improved speech for navigation.
• Maps update.
• Update to Bluetooth device compatibility.
• On Menu, the "Apps" icon will be changed to “Car" icon.
• Show phone info instead of phone repetition.
• Show navigation info instead of navigation repetition.
• Show audio info instead of audio repetition.
• Optional routes like Google maps.
• When changing tracks, the album art does not change to match the current song/track.

08-026-17 REV. A - Remote start
- Reflash body control module (BCM) Remote start operation fails. (CC and RF)

18-030-17 REV. B Check engine light, stalling, misfires RRT, CC, RF

CC and RF for 4-cylinder Guilia only manufactured before April 18, 2017. Cars may experience a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Techs may find one or more of the following error codes have been set:
P045500 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (Large Leak).
• P0087 Fuel Rail Pressure Too Low Bank
• P2172 Throttle Actuator Control System Sudden High Air Flow Detected.
• P0171 System Too Lean Bank 1.
• P0236 Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Pressure Sensor Performance.
• P0363 Misfire Detected Fueling Disabled.
• P1CEA Boost Side EVAP Purge System Performance.
• P250B Engine Oil Level Sensor Circuit Performance.
• P0139 O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 2.
• P015A O2 Sensor Delayed Response Rich To Lean Bank 1 Sensor 1.
• P0440 Evaporative Emission System Incorrect Flow.
• P0441 Evaporative Emission System Incorrect Purge Flow.
• P0002 Fuel Quantity Regulator 1 Control Circuit Performance.
• P0244 Turbocharger/Supercharger Wastegate Solenoid “A” Range/Performance.
• P062A Fuel Pump “A” Control Circuit Range/Performance.
• P0128 Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature).
• P0514 Battery Monitor Module Temperature Monitoring Performance.
• P2AC0 Intake Air O2 Sensor Reference Voltage Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1.
• P0402 Exhaust Gas Recirculation “A” Flow Excessive Detected.
• P2B89 Intake Air O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage.
• P0456 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (Very Small Leak).
• Stall upon restart after refueling.

24-002-17 Heating and air-conditioning flash (CC)

Cars built prior to March 21, 2017 may have the rear defrost deactivated during a Stop/Start operation.
· Heated seat function first command sets to the minimum level and the button needs to be pressed three times to reach the maximum level.

Flash enhancements include:
· Heated seat function first command will now set to the maximum level.
· Stop/Start operation is disabled when the rear defrost system is on.
· HVAC fan speed will increase during a Stop/Start operation.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Great job Eric !!
This is very useful information !!
I'm sure that I am not the only one here that believes that the TSB, 08-041-17, Infotainment Update, item #6, "Oil level displayed on the ETM is incorrect" is the most important.
This revelation begs several questions.
Just how much was the previous (before reflash) "oil level displayed" information incorrect?
Was it reading too high? Too low?
Without an engine oil dipstick, this incorrect oil level information could be critical.
Shouldn't a malfunction like this trigger a recall, or at least, an FCA reach-out to all owners to have this update done immediately?

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,469 Posts
Can the two TSB threads be combined?

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
@Eric...so you mean to tell me that IF your car is not experiencing any issues EVEN with the older software, they will not re-flash the car with the latest version which is

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Eric...so you mean to tell me that IF your car is not experiencing any issues EVEN with the older software, they will not re-flash the car with the latest version which is
Good question. ^^ The flash update is not mission critical so I *think they are treating it as a "customer complaint" issue only. In other words, the dealers are not technically supposed to do the update unless they log the customer's dissatisfaction. It is not a "mission critical" operation in other words. Though, the oil level display being included non-nonchalantly in that update is concerning. To me, under-filling or overfilling motors with oil and the ability for an accurate reading *should take extreme precedence.

Below is a lot more general info about the automotive industry for everyone and some ideas as to how to obtain updates. At times it is difficult to absorb how manufacturers handle things so hopefully this helps:

The car business is fraught with decision making that, to us, does not make sense from an enthusiast perspective. The "customer concern" TSB's aren't necessarily being applied before the cars are/were being sold. Even though the dealers have the opportunity to do the updates prior to selling a car, often times, the flashes do not take place until the customer complains. Odd? You bet.

Some of this is involves hating the game and not the player. The OEM dealer service industry is geared toward flat-rate techs who are paid for warranty work only after the car title is transferred from the manufacturer to the new owner. Service managers aren't performing "service" per se on off-the-trailer new vehicles. Only the new owners can typically initiate service requests. Ask a service advisor to enter a repair order under the manufacturer's name and they'll say they cannot do it. Then, the tech can't do the work (even if he wanted to) because the warranty tracking process requires the (new) owner's information, mileage, etc.

The tech's are generally paid a small stipend for per-delivery inspections. The rest is somewhat of a good-luck after-sales process to the new owner. Quite a few people here experienced the auto-start failures and so forth. FCA didn't catch this till the cars were off the boat and into owner's garages, unfortunately. The RRT auto-start TSB was issued late in other words. RRT updates should be performed without any owner intervention and should/will be done pre-sale.

Again, it is an automotive industry manufacturer faux pas that is (barely) up to the dealers. The manufacturers dictate (not limited to FCA) what is considered to be warranty work and what is not. TSB's that are non-essential are identified as such. On the other hand, other issues are "immediate" and FCA terms these as "Rapid Response" and are, more or less, mandatory. Some cars were released without the software updates across the board. Mine included. Though, I've been very fortunate-- I have one of the earliest VIN's in the USA and the car has been error free. Somehow my car has all of the correct hardware and software and has been great.

In the manufacturer's shoes, there is a certain amount of hardware and software configurations that take place mid-cycle from third party suppliers. The most engaged enthusiasts can look at 2 Quadrifoglios side by side and those cars will look the same down to the most obscure nuts and bolts. Though, the suppliers can vary some parts mid-cycle (this happened with a lower engine coolant hose bracket) . Slight hardware changes can place the software QC teams into a quandary. There is intense QC engineering scrutiny. But, "change controls" just are not where they need to be compared to the pharma industry (for example). Mid-stream supplier hardware and software incompatibilities can and do slip through the cracks. This is NOT solely an FCA issue. This is the automotive industry as a whole.

The above is a generalization about the automotive industry in today's highly intense software/hardware driven world. Ask Bill Gates how many patches Windows has had ;)

Then, there is "good-will".

The service managers and advisors do have liberties to assist their owners. If I were a dealer owner, service mgr, advisor or even in sales, I would certainly be letting the owner's know about the infotainment update. When a car comes in for any scheduled service, this is an easy add-on to the ticket if the customer can leave the car there for a day plus. The car can initially be logged into the system for anything and the techs can do the updates as long as the warranty processes are followed. Which owner would not agree to free updates? It is a win-win in my opinion. The tech is paid for his flat-rate warranty work and the service managers are booking more "book" time which counts toward their efficiency in the department. It is in everyone's best interest to implement the changes even though the customer may not know their car is effected. This is where good relationships can take over to promote more of the good-will processes.

A personal anecdote that I've noticed in the infotainment system is that I can brick the system by attempting to access the "lane departure" menu while in "Race" mode. We all know that the lane departure feature is disabled while in Race Mode. Though, attempting to select that in the menu locks up the system thereby necessitating a full shutdown and restart of the car. The infotainment will only start working again when the car is re-started. How that issue made it past engineering QC is an odd one for sure.

Anecdote #2, last new car (not FCA) also had a list of TSB's. At that time I did not have a relationship with that particular dealer's service team. Though, I knew all of the TSB's. The service advisor at the dealer was not willing to perform the work on the car. I made the mistake (a customer making a mistake?!) of letting him know that the car needed the updates. The dealer's position was "unless the car has the symptom, we cannot perform the work. We cannot make the car fit the symptom, it needs to be the other way around". I found a work around which was getting to know people at another dealership. The original dealer could have confirmed the issues but instead wanted me to prove the issues to them. That dealer is not in business any longer.

Cliffnotes:

Moral to the story, yes, Alfa Romeo can do a lot more. Engineering QC could be more proactive. More cars could be flashed prior to delivery. Most cars are eligible for flash updates though the customer complaint should be verified. Though, the big picture is that what we are experiencing is an automotive industry issue as a whole. This is not limited to FCA.

Perspective: less than 200 members here at the GuiliaForums.com. Some people have reported issues. There are many thousands of these cars in the USA at this point and the vast majority are error free.

Establishing a good relationship with the dealer is important. If the tech and service advisor/mgr are being taken care of, they will assist you. The warranty business includes compensation for the techs. Additionally, the dealers are getting credit/paid for the work performed.

Some cars are effected by some TSB's, others are not. Be prepared to explain the condition to your service advisor. You may have more information than they have, so be prepared to talk/walk through it.

March and April 2017 were key transition hardware manufacturing and software revision change dates.

2018 models will be largely unaffected by these TSB's

Hopefully the resources that we posted here will help owners get the best possible service and allow Alfa Romeo to further fine tune their final QC processes.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
So I just got off the phone with my SA, my car was one of the initial Quads to arrive in 2016 (12-24-16) so it still has the older software...
I never experienced any of the different issues that others have had, with the exception of the Headlight washer cap flying off and the CEL that threw my car to limp mode which required a dealer change to repair...
That said he told me to bring the car in as there are 2 outstanding RRT's to be addressed (one is for a coolant hose clamp, the other for a brake sensor clamp).
It is correct that the dealer will not get reimbursed for a software upgrade by FCA if it is just for the sake of the upgrade. HOWEVER IF I complain about some functionality, they will run a diagnostic and upgrade the software no issues...
So in I go on Monday the 24th..will keep you posted.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Let me defend QA as a head of QA in a huge engineering firm :)...

QA may have caught it but QA never gets the final say, engineering and business do. We find 'em but someone else fixes them.

I've often had that debate about the User Impact of a "bug" with engineering. Sometimes I throw my weight around and other times I compromise. Maybe the decision was, "well, since it's disabled surely no one will try that so let's leave that until later" and then boom everyone online reads that if you do something it bricks the system so everyone goes and does it.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I've only bought two new cars in my life, my 4C and my Giulia. I can't easily compare AR to the other brands in this regard.

AR seems to have two types of TSBs.
1) The Silent TSB. When you bring your car in for normal service (oil change), and they install certain TSBs.
2) The Appease TSB. When the customer complains about a problem, the will appease you by doing that TSB. It's similar to giving a cracker to a crying baby, "Here you go, now shut up!"

I've never experienced nor heard of any TSB where the customer was contacted and asked to bring the car, just in case there might be a problem, we'd like to avoid it before it happens.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I've only bought two new cars in my life, my 4C and my Giulia. I can't easily compare AR to the other brands in this regard.

AR seems to have two types of TSBs.
1) The Silent TSB. When you bring your car in for normal service (oil change), and they install certain TSBs.
2) The Appease TSB. When the customer complains about a problem, the will appease you by doing that TSB. It's similar to giving a cracker to a crying baby, "Here you go, now shut up!"

I've never experienced nor heard of any TSB where the customer was contacted and asked to bring the car, just in case there might be a problem, we'd like to avoid it before it happens.
I agree that the manufacturer is not going to contact owners and beg them to bring their car in for an update. What I think most people would like is the ability to review the TSB's to see if any of them are relevant to their car. I already did this by reviewing all of the TSB's posted on this forum, and I ignored many of them because they do not seem to apply to my car. But if they are not made available to the public, then the owners are in the dark as to whether or not there is a TSB that would make their car better.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I agree that the manufacturer is not going to contact owners and beg them to bring their car in for an update. What I think most people would like is the ability to review the TSB's to see if any of them are relevant to their car. I already did this by reviewing all of the TSB's posted on this forum, and I ignored many of them because they do not seem to apply to my car. But if they are not made available to the public, then the owners are in the dark as to whether or not there is a TSB that would make their car better.
Exactly. A TSB is not the same as a 'recall'. If there is a problem that is so bad, so unsafe, so dangerous, then the manufacturer is required by law to to contact the car owner(s) and ask them to bring the car(s) in to be fixed. Plenty of cars get caught up in this, my father's Honda for one, and it out of warranty by then. For all of our complaints, I've never heard of the 4C or Giulia with a 'recall'.

AR must be doing something right. It has to be a huge oversight to get into the recall situation.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,469 Posts
Exactly. A TSB is not the same as a 'recall'. If there is a problem that is so bad, so unsafe, so dangerous, then the manufacturer is required by law to to contact the car owner(s) and ask them to bring the car(s) in to be fixed. Plenty of cars get caught up in this, my father's Honda for one, and it out of warranty by then. For all of our complaints, I've never heard of the 4C or Giulia with a 'recall'.

AR must be doing something right. It has to be a huge oversight to get into the recall situation.
And have safety or emissions implications.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Newest RRTs???

just dropped Sophia off at dealer...in addition to the infotainment update (002.)
I will need the following RRTs
RRT 17-035 this one is for the brake sensor I believe
RRT 17-037
RRT 17-060
RRT 17-063
RRT 17-065

the rest of them I do not know...they will be explained on the final print-out. he gave me the doc as a courtesy...
anyone have these yet?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
just dropped Sophia off at dealer...in addition to the infotainment update (002.)
I will need the following RRTs
RRT 17-035 this one is for the brake sensor I believe
RRT 17-037
RRT 17-060
RRT 17-063
RRT 17-065

the rest of them I do not know...they will be explained on the final print-out. he gave me the doc as a courtesy...
anyone have these yet?
@Cupshot ?

·
Registered
869 Posts
17-065 is for amp corrosion. They want to put a new amp in mine under there.

My dealer keeps saying that none of the other RRTs are available, including 17-052. Time to call the mothership I guess. *sigh*

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Update

So spoke to my SA....car will be ready tomorrow....they had an issue with the new software download...
all the RRT's were taken care of...they are also changing the battery in the car due to a voltage irregularity??....I was in NYC driving when he called me so I could not really speak with him...
ordered a new front right rim to replace the one I bent....
car will be ready tomorrow afternoon....
once I get the work order sheet I will relay to you guys what was done...

1 - 20 of 102 Posts