Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 313 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gathering this information is not easy. If your car goes in for service, please let us know if any repairs are the result of TSB information. Please let us know and we'll add it here:

02-003-17
Chattering Noise While Steering:

This bulletin involves discussing a chattering that might be heard from the Alfa Romeo Giulia front suspension/tires. Ackerman angle while making tight turns while at parking speed. Information only. No service required.

04-001-17 Vehicle Quick Reference only. Defines the difference between a "Customer Concern"(CC) and a "Required Flash" (RF).

If the customer concern matches a symptom in any bulletin, the dealer must log the VIN and all pertinent info related to the car. A re-flash will only occur if the CC matches a known service bulletin. Cars that are flashed without the CC and requisite failure codes will result in dealer charge-backs. In other words, if it is not broke, don't ask for the flash.

RRT (rapid response transmittal) are essential flashes and must be confirmed by VIN.

05-004-17 (RRT) 17-037 all sold and un-sold VIN's apply. Brake pad sensor wiring. Parts: 2 wire ties and electrical tape. Ensure that wires are properly strapped to the brackets and proper wire travel can occur at full lock of the steering wheel left and right.

Locate the brake pad wear sensor harness and inspect the grommet position. Is the
grommet positioned between the two sets of tape on the wire harness
a. YES >>>
· For AWD vehicles: Right side only, remove the grommet from the bracket if it’s not
already disconnected and leave disconnected. Continue to the Repair Procedure
Step #1. Left side grommet, remove grommet from bracket if it’s not already
disconnected and wrap tape building up thickness of tape on the wire
harness and install the grommet on the bracket.
· For RWD vehicles: Disconnect the grommet from the bracket if it’s not already
disconnected, wrap tape building up thickness of tape on the wire harness
and install the grommet on the bracket. Continue to the Repair Procedure Step #1.
b. NO >>>
· For AWD vehicles: Right side grommet only, leave the grommet disconnected from
the bracket. Left side grommet, remove grommet from bracket if it’s not already
disconnected and position grommet between the two pieces of tape on the wire
harness. Wrap tape building up thickness of tape on the wire harness and
install the grommet on the bracket. Continue to the Repair Procedure Step #1.
· For RWD vehicles: Remove grommet from bracket if it’s not already disconnected
and position grommet between the two pieces of tape on the wire harness. Wrap
tape building up thickness of tape on the wire harness and install the
grommet on the bracket. Continue to the Repair Procedure Step #1.

Using a zip tie, secure the brake pad wear sensor harness to the brake metal caliper bracket if not already installed.

08-041-17 Rev. A (RRT) 17-052
. Infotainment update - all Giulia models 6.5 and 8.8" displays. Techs should use 16GB flash drive maximum and be formatted as NTFS only. The procedures for updating the infotainment system and map is quite intense. Dealers are allotting a half day to perform the operations.

Symptoms are mild to wild:

• Navigation takes too long to recover after losing satellite signal.
• Certain Android phones have reduced Bluetooth functionality.
• Display is stuck on black screen.
• Display frozen on Alfa Romeo logo.
• Radio intermittently reboots.
• Oil level displayed on the ETM is incorrect.
• Autoplay does not maintain “ON” status after the network goes to sleep.
• Park Assist Module (PAM) graphics stayed on screen even after dismissing via Rotary Pad.
• Loss of favorite contacts.
• Lane Departure menu option available in a vehicle without the lane departure warning option.

In addition, the following improvements are included:

• Radio station preset bar updated to include seven presets and a shortcut to the rest of the presets.
• Radio menu updated to show frequency, stations, names, and favorite numbers.
• Remove kilohertz (KHz) and megahertz (MHz) and show frequency in figures.
• Show three alternative navigation routes, instead of just one.
• Reduce Point Of Interest (POI) categories and show address, phone number, and direction.
• Improve location input for navigation routing.
• The zoom feature on navigation map can be accessed without changing menus.
• When using navigation guidance, more details will be given on the next turn, exit number,
street name, and complete address.
• Numbers are larger on the touch screen when dialing.
• Improved speech for navigation.
• Maps update.
• Update to Bluetooth device compatibility.
• On Menu, the "Apps" icon will be changed to “Car" icon.
• Show phone info instead of phone repetition.
• Show navigation info instead of navigation repetition.
• Show audio info instead of audio repetition.
• Optional routes like Google maps.
• When changing tracks, the album art does not change to match the current song/track.

08-026-17 REV. A - Remote start
- Reflash body control module (BCM) Remote start operation fails. (CC and RF)

18-030-17 REV. B Check engine light, stalling, misfires RRT, CC, RF

CC and RF for 4-cylinder Guilia only manufactured before April 18, 2017. Cars may experience a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Techs may find one or more of the following error codes have been set:
P045500 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (Large Leak).
• P0087 Fuel Rail Pressure Too Low Bank
• P2172 Throttle Actuator Control System Sudden High Air Flow Detected.
• P0171 System Too Lean Bank 1.
• P0236 Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Pressure Sensor Performance.
• P0363 Misfire Detected Fueling Disabled.
• P1CEA Boost Side EVAP Purge System Performance.
• P250B Engine Oil Level Sensor Circuit Performance.
• P0139 O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 2.
• P015A O2 Sensor Delayed Response Rich To Lean Bank 1 Sensor 1.
• P0440 Evaporative Emission System Incorrect Flow.
• P0441 Evaporative Emission System Incorrect Purge Flow.
• P0002 Fuel Quantity Regulator 1 Control Circuit Performance.
• P0244 Turbocharger/Supercharger Wastegate Solenoid “A” Range/Performance.
• P062A Fuel Pump “A” Control Circuit Range/Performance.
• P0128 Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature).
• P0514 Battery Monitor Module Temperature Monitoring Performance.
• P2AC0 Intake Air O2 Sensor Reference Voltage Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1.
• P0402 Exhaust Gas Recirculation “A” Flow Excessive Detected.
• P2B89 Intake Air O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage.
• P0456 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (Very Small Leak).
• Stall upon restart after refueling.

24-002-17 Heating and air-conditioning flash (CC)

Cars built prior to March 21, 2017 may have the rear defrost deactivated during a Stop/Start operation.
· Heated seat function first command sets to the minimum level and the button needs to be pressed three times to reach the maximum level.

Flash enhancements include:
· Heated seat function first command will now set to the maximum level.
· Stop/Start operation is disabled when the rear defrost system is on.
· HVAC fan speed will increase during a Stop/Start operation.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I encourage each and everyone of you to ask questions at your dealer. Talk to your wrench (technician). Talk to your service manager. We can put it all together if we have enough pieces.

When you do get service work done (TSB or warranty), you'll be asked to sign a repair order with ALL the info on it. The copy you get to take home will be almost blank though. Try to snap a picture with your phone. Yes, I'm suggesting you play spy games. lol

·
Super Moderator
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There must be more TSB's out there based on all the problems forum members are experiencing. I can't believe I'm getting one of these cars soon... (maybe)
The issues really involve a very small percentage of owners. Have no fear!

We've seen the VIN ranges in the USA grow from 17,xxx to over 50,xxx in less than 6 months. Plus, the cars have been available in Europe for most of 2016. Surprisingly, guess how many members here are reporting issues? Less than 200. Very small percentage overall compared to the number of cars sold. Keep in mind that a lot of users are seeking information and a lot of the anomalies tend to be thrust into the forefront.

Seems as though the USA was given an odd batch of hardware modules that weren't wholly compatible with the early engine software as well as the infotainment systems. Both flashes are huge updates for the early cars. Later cars (prod dates after Mar/April) *should be ok.

On more TSB's, I am still actively searching for anything related to the sunroof. Seems there were a few repairs here and there. Not sure if the repairs are common and a TSB has been created or not? If anyone has any information, please post your details. My carbon fiber sunroof is intact and working just fine ;)

·
Registered
6,018 Posts

18-030-17 REV. B Check engine light, stalling, misfires RRT, CC, RF

CC and RF for 4-cylinder Guilia only manufactured before April 18, 2017. Cars may experience a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Techs may find one or more of the following error codes have been set:
P045500 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (Large Leak).
• P0087 Fuel Rail Pressure Too Low Bank
• P2172 Throttle Actuator Control System Sudden High Air Flow Detected.
• P0171 System Too Lean Bank 1.
• P0236 Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Pressure Sensor Performance.
• P0363 Misfire Detected Fueling Disabled.
• P1CEA Boost Side EVAP Purge System Performance.
• P250B Engine Oil Level Sensor Circuit Performance.
• P0139 O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 2.
• P015A O2 Sensor Delayed Response Rich To Lean Bank 1 Sensor 1.
• P0440 Evaporative Emission System Incorrect Flow.
• P0441 Evaporative Emission System Incorrect Purge Flow.
• P0002 Fuel Quantity Regulator 1 Control Circuit Performance.
• P0244 Turbocharger/Supercharger Wastegate Solenoid “A” Range/Performance.
• P062A Fuel Pump “A” Control Circuit Range/Performance.
• P0128 Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature).
• P0514 Battery Monitor Module Temperature Monitoring Performance.
• P2AC0 Intake Air O2 Sensor Reference Voltage Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1.
• P0402 Exhaust Gas Recirculation “A” Flow Excessive Detected.
• P2B89 Intake Air O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage.
• P0456 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (Very Small Leak).
• Stall upon restart after refueling.
So is there a fix for the above problem, or are they simply reporting that there is a problem?

24-002-17 Heating and air-conditioning flash (CC)

Cars built prior to March 21, 2017 may have the rear defrost deactivated during a Stop/Start operation.
· Heated seat function first command sets to the minimum level and the button needs to be pressed three times to reach the maximum level.

Flash enhancements include:
· Heated seat function first command will now set to the maximum level.
· Stop/Start operation is disabled when the rear defrost system is on.
· HVAC fan speed will increase during a Stop/Start operation.
So turn the rear defroster on and leave it on to disable start/stop?
Hopefully that will not cause the rear window to explode, like on my Audi...

·
Super Moderator
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So is there a fix for the above problem, or are they simply reporting that there is a problem?

So turn the rear defroster on and leave it on to disable start/stop?
Hopefully that will not cause the rear window to explode, like on my Audi...
The TSB is requiring a reflash to cure the symptoms.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Great job Eric !!
This is very useful information !!
I'm sure that I am not the only one here that believes that the TSB, 08-041-17, Infotainment Update, item #6, "Oil level displayed on the ETM is incorrect" is the most important.
This revelation begs several questions.
Just how much was the previous (before reflash) "oil level displayed" information incorrect?
Was it reading too high? Too low?
Without an engine oil dipstick, this incorrect oil level information could be critical.
Shouldn't a malfunction like this trigger a recall, or at least, an FCA reach-out to all owners to have this update done immediately?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
5,740 Posts
Looking forward to over-the-air reflashes someday soon. Hack-proof, of course.

·
Registered
636 Posts
You nailed it!

The issues really involve a very small percentage of owners. Have no fear!

Keep in mind that a lot of users are seeking information and a lot of the anomalies tend to be thrust into the forefront.
;)
Exactly! People don't post notes on forums like this to say, "My sunroof works fine."; "I'm having no issues when I fill the tank." or, "My car is functioning great."

People write to complain about issues, so it creates a skewed view of what is actually going on. Also, people log on to read the horror stories like the guy on here who's car stalled while doing 75 mph. Check how many views that post has (I'm sorry to be adding to it with this reference.)

I have a Stromboli gray AWD Ti Lusso and I absolutely love it!

·
Registered
636 Posts
I'm having no problems with my AWD Ti Lusso, but I would like to get that infotainment update, only because I find it annoying that when you set the display to radio, it provides a list of call letters not station numbers. It's a minor annoyance and personal preference, but it will be nice to get that changed.

Also, I wouldn't mind adding a 7th favorite. In fact, I wish they had changed it so that you could have separate AM favorites and FM favorites.
I know people will feel bad for me when they hear that I had to omit an FM favorite to make room for the AM channel that carries White Sox games. I'll get over it.
I've owned several nice cars over the years [I traded in an Audi (yawn!) to get my Giulia] and this is the first car that I am truly excited to drive.

·
Registered
869 Posts
In for the ECU reflash...just called to "complain" about so many other things I've been "experiencing" so they'd have to run through all of the TSBs. I miss my baby when she's out...plus they gave me a minivan as a loaner!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Great job Eric !!
This is very useful information !!
I'm sure that I am not the only one here that believes that the TSB, 08-041-17, Infotainment Update, item #6, "Oil level displayed on the ETM is incorrect" is the most important.
This revelation begs several questions.
Just how much was the previous (before reflash) "oil level displayed" information incorrect?
Was it reading too high? Too low?
Without an engine oil dipstick, this incorrect oil level information could be critical.
Shouldn't a malfunction like this trigger a recall, or at least, an FCA reach-out to all owners to have this update done immediately?
Here's what I don't understand, if I have to call to complain how do I know I should be complaining about updates to the Infotainment center and the oil readout? I just called to "complain" about everything on the car just to make FCA happy but I really shouldn't need to to get updates and improvements on some parts of the car. In fact, my biggest complaint on the car in the navi/infotainment stuff. I'd be extra pissed, at FCA, if there was an improvement and they failed to deliver it to me because I didn' know I should have asked for it when the car was brought in on unrelated issues. I expect that to be scanned, as any other dealer does, any time I bring the car in.

·
Registered
343 Posts
When I brought my Ti in for the fist update (stalling issues, even though I never experienced it) they also scanned the car and did all updates that were available at that time. All I need now is the Infotainment update, but it is not a top priority for me right now. I'd rather drive the car with 6 presets than not be driving the car cause it was at the dealer.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Here's what I don't understand, if I have to call to complain how do I know I should be complaining about updates to the Infotainment center and the oil readout? I just called to "complain" about everything on the car just to make FCA happy but I really shouldn't need to to get updates and improvements on some parts of the car. In fact, my biggest complaint on the car in the navi/infotainment stuff. I'd be extra pissed, at FCA, if there was an improvement and they failed to deliver it to me because I didn' know I should have asked for it when the car was brought in on unrelated issues. I expect that to be scanned, as any other dealer does, any time I bring the car in.
Mr. M.
Your point is well taken.
One would think that as soon as an update is created, that would remedy a problem, or improve a function with their product, the (auto) manufacturer would contact all owners whose vehicle this would pertain to. I would think that all would view this effort in a positive light. Perhaps (of course) costs factor into this decision. I would think that the improved product satisfaction, and all of the other "positives" that a pro-active position like this by a manufacturer, would ultimately off-set the warranty costs (paid to the Dealerships) in the long run with greater sales and return sales. But I'm not an accountant or bean counter, so, I might be wrong.
It bears mentioning, that it is one thing to hold-back on pulling all the sold cars back into the dealership to update how the infotainment systems stores phone numbers or radio stations, and informing owners that the electronic oil level function (on your car that doesn't have an engine dipstick!) is "incorrect".
Sheeesh.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Looking forward to over-the-air reflashes someday soon. Hack-proof, of course.
Updates can be over the air or they can be hack proof but not both. Your choice...

·
Registered
869 Posts
Mr. M.
It bears mentioning, that it is one thing to hold-back on pulling all the sold cars back into the dealership to update how the infotainment systems stores phone numbers or radio stations, and informing owners that the electronic oil level function (on your car that doesn't have an engine dipstick!) is "incorrect".
Sheeesh.
But that's my point, proving a negative is impossible. If I don't know there is an "issue" - issue being defined as something FCA has released a patch to address no matter the criticality - and do not know to ask does not mean I'm not suffering from something, maybe my pain threshold is high. I'd say that phone numbers being stored is just as important as oil dipsticks readings. Moreover, the oil dipstick seems to work ok but maybe they have a better algorithm that isn't as conservative but the old one was "just fine". I'm in software, head of QA, I fight and defend perception on criticality and perceived pain all day long.

Lastly, it's the convenience features that bring many buyers to a car and may cause there to be "bad" reviews that, ultimately, sway people. I have a friend looking a Giulia, I told her the navi sucks, so what she does with that is up to her. Maybe she doesn't buy it maybe she does but I've already started spreading that message - I've never said, "Hey, there is no dipstick so you should verify that the digital read out is correct."

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
. I'd say that phone numbers being stored is just as important as oil dipsticks readings. Moreover, the oil dipstick seems to work ok but maybe they have a better algorithm that isn't as conservative but the old one was "just fine".

Lastly, it's the convenience features that bring many buyers to a car and may cause there to be "bad" reviews that, ultimately, sway people. I have a friend looking a Giulia, I told her the navi sucks, so what she does with that is up to her. Maybe she doesn't buy it maybe she does but I've already started spreading that message - I've never said, "Hey, there is no dipstick so you should verify that the digital read out is correct."
Mr. M,
We all have our own criteria when we decide which car to purchase. As the Motor Trend article stated, the A4 had the best connectivity, the MB the best interior, etc. As those things are of SOME importance to me, the fact that the Giulia was chosen #1 overall and that it was deemed the best (overall) "drivers" car is of most importance to me.
I'm not overly "techie" so the sub par (in comparison) infotainment system is not a great concern. The Cannoloni leather seats and Ti leather interior is good looking and is very comfortable to my eye, and butt.
To each his own.

1 - 20 of 313 Posts