Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents/ladies

This is my first post, although I've been following this forum for a while. So apols if I accidentally violate some forum rules.

I was wondering if all who've run the Tarox f2000 on their QV have had a smooth experience? My car is exhibiting some really bizarre behaviour and we're out of ideas.

Essentially what the car does is when braking from a high speed (say, 80mph) with reasonable brake pressure, you get a few seconds of smooth braking and then the shudder starts and then gets quite violent. Release the brakes and brake again, shudder. When stopped I notice the discs being smeared with a ring of uneven deposits of pad material in the centre of the disc face. When the discs are really violently bedded in and coated with a uniform layer of blueish pad stuff, the braking is smooth.

It seems almost as though the discs and pads are unable to stay "bedded".

Has anybody running Tarox experienced something similar? I'm at my wits end here...

Paul

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Gents/ladies

This is my first post, although I've been following this forum for a while. So apols if I accidentally violate some forum rules.

I was wondering if all who've run the Tarox f2000 on their QV have had a smooth experience? My car is exhibiting some really bizarre behaviour and we're out of ideas.

Essentially what the car does is when braking from a high speed (say, 80mph) with reasonable brake pressure, you get a few seconds of smooth braking and then the shudder starts and then gets quite violent. Release the brakes and brake again, shudder. When stopped I notice the discs being smeared with a ring of uneven deposits of pad material in the centre of the disc face. When the discs are really violently bedded in and coated with a uniform layer of blueish pad stuff, the braking is smooth.

It seems almost as though the discs and pads are unable to stay "bedded".

Has anybody running Tarox experienced something similar? I'm at my wits end here...

Paul
I run tarox rotors on my QV with no issues. I’ve had it over 100mph almost daily and never had a shudder. Using the squadra logger they have been over 600 degree temps numerous times. I’m running EBC blue pads. What pads are you using? I would do some hard braking at high speeds to try to bed them but at this point they should be bedded.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,215 Posts
I run the 2-piece F2000 pattern on my 2.0 and get that same shuddering while braking at certain speeds. I've been on track with it, and it is not a problem. You will get used to it. Just know that it is not a problem, it's just different than what you are used to.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I’m using the F2000 discs. The shudder I get is certainly not normal as the car shakes quite violently. It’s not an nvh issue that could be attributed to the grooves.

Look at the attached image. Uneven pad stuff all over the disc and this was after medium pressure braking from to 50. And when the shudder starts, it happens all across speed range whereas normally at 50 or 60 I don’t get any shudder.

Probably not a disc issue then.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh and the phenomenon isn’t pad dependent. I’ve used oem pads and ebc yellows; same issue

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,215 Posts
Oh and the phenomenon isn’t pad dependent. I’ve used oem pads and ebc yellows; same issue
Same rotors though? There is pad material deposited on the rotors that is uneven. Proper bed-in procedures are vital to proper and even pad deposition on the rotor surface. If you did that, than maybe you need to do it again. A handful of high speed stops (80 - 20 MPH) in a row, waiting 20 seconds in between, may get rid of that.

Reactions: Alfa Philly

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Same rotors though? There is pad material deposited on the rotors that is uneven. Proper bed-in procedures are vital to proper and even pad deposition on the rotor surface. If you did that, than maybe you need to do it again. A handful of high speed stops (80 - 20 MPH) in a row, waiting 20 seconds in between, may get rid of that.
that makes complete sense. I suppose the problem I’m having is like they refuse to stay bedded.

If I bed them in on the track (60-70% running for a couple of laps and then a full cooldown) they are fine with no shudder. Two days later, discs are patchy and of course there’s shudder. I’ve got a pic of that as well.

·
Registered
848 Posts
What I have don in the past for uneven pad deposition, is to complete clean the rotors of all pad residue, then take my pads out of the calipers, and but them on a belt sander for just a few seconds, to clean off any "glaze" then reinstall. While there are pad suggestions for "bedding" new pads to rotors, the vast numbers of newly manufactured cars don;'t get any special bedding procedure, the new owners just drive their cars off the lot and have no shudder problems.

So you might try my thought above, and then just drive your car as if it were new, and not do some sort of race pad bedding procedure. NV

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
710 Posts
Interesting. I am running the F2000 on my 2.0 and they have been excellent. You sure you aren't just cooking your pads too quickly while trying to bed them in?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Interesting. I am running the F2000 on my 2.0 and they have been excellent. You sure you aren't just cooking your pads too quickly while trying to bed them in?
I have the 2 piece F2000 rotors and Tarox Strada pads on my Giulia with no issues Saadameil is experiencing. I have to ask..did you follow the install instructions? Tarox very specifically states you must completely clean the hub back to clean bare metal before installing the Rotors to prevent exactly what he is describing… just a thought.

BTW. I have tracked mine twice with the new brake setup and other than bluing the rotors they are performing perfectly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Light

Also, running my finger across the rotor surface I feel no deposits, just color changes due to the nature of billet steel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What I have don in the past for uneven pad deposition, is to complete clean the rotors of all pad residue, then take my pads out of the calipers, and but them on a belt sander for just a few seconds, to clean off any "glaze" then reinstall. While there are pad suggestions for "bedding" new pads to rotors, the vast numbers of newly manufactured cars don;'t get any special bedding procedure, the new owners just drive their cars off the lot and have no shudder problems.

So you might try my thought above, and then just drive your car as if it were new, and not do some sort of race pad bedding procedure. NV
This is the crux of it - brakes seem fine after some really aggressive bedding. But then a few days later I start getting shudders

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have the 2 piece F2000 rotors and Tarox Strada pads on my Giulia with no issues Saadameil is experiencing. I have to ask..did you follow the install instructions? Tarox very specifically states you must completely clean the hub back to clean bare metal before installing the Rotors to prevent exactly what he is describing… just a thought.

BTW. I have tracked mine twice with the new brake setup and other than bluing the rotors they are performing perfectly.
I've not removed the discs after installation but I'm quite sure the fellas at my shop did a fine job. They're always meticulous. But this is certainly something I will have checked! However if an uneven hub face was the culprit, then it would surely be a constant vibration and not one that comes and goes

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,215 Posts
Do they make a L and R? Ive seen companies make only one direction of rotor believe it or not
Yes, the Tarox have L and R.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts