Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

Just thought i should post up my experience with this car when i took it to Austria for 3 weeks in what turned out to be a 2000 mile (ish) drive through some horrendous snow storms and weather down to -15*c

The car did great tho! Only 1 hill that i couldn't get up ( with Sottozero tyres on )

I will say one thing i thought was annoying is the radar sensor gets cover with snow very easily and once this happens it completely disables cruise control (and collision avoidance) This makes sense, but when your on a long drive and you can not activate cruise control at all because the radar function is blocked it seems unnecessary.

Obviously the rear seats on our cars do not fold and neither is there "through loading" so to carry skies i bought a Thule roof rack. If anyone wants the part numbers you require just let me know as i did not find it as straight forward as it should be to figure out what i need and find somewhere that stocked it. Also if you decide to go for a roof rack be braced for the wind noise especialy around 130kph/80mph

In addition to the roof rack i also replaced the windscreen wash with some -20 stuff (one thing most people overlook)

I think my overall experience with the car and how it handled on the snow and ice mainly come down to the tyres which i have to say are amazing and very confidence inspiring but the car was an otherwise comfortable cruiser and great for the trip!

1 extra downside was i curbed an alloy at a toll booth :crying:

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,756 Posts
Hey all

Just thought i should post up my experience with this car when i took it to Austria for 3 weeks in what turned out to be a 2000 mile (ish) drive through some horrendous snow storms and weather down to -15*c

The car did great tho! Only 1 hill that i couldn't get up ( with Sottozero tyres on )

I will say one thing i thought was annoying is the radar sensor gets cover with snow very easily and once this happens it completely disables cruise control (and collision avoidance) This makes sense, but when your on a long drive and you can not activate cruise control at all because the radar function is blocked it seems unnecessary.

Obviously the rear seats on our cars do not fold and neither is there "through loading" so to carry skies i bought a Thule roof rack. If anyone wants the part numbers you require just let me know as i did not find it as straight forward as it should be to figure out what i need and find somewhere that stocked it. Also if you decide to go for a roof rack be braced for the wind noise especialy around 130kph/80mph

In addition to the roof rack i also replaced the windscreen wash with some -20 stuff (one thing most people overlook)

I think my overall experience with the car and how it handled on the snow and ice mainly come down to the tyres which i have to say are amazing and very confidence inspiring but the car was an otherwise comfortable cruiser and great for the trip!

I admit when I first saw the subject I had visions of a Quadrifoglio on the slope. Of course that would be too much like an advertisement.

Sorry about the wheel. I'm curious whether you tried non-active cruise control (I'm assuming you did but want to be sure). That being deactivated by snow on the sensor would frustrate me as well.

Which Sottozeros do you have and in what size? While mine haven't tasted the white stuff yet, I'm confident they will perform well. Did you ever see a traction control or stability control light illuminate?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I admit when I first saw the subject I had visions of a Quadrifoglio on the slope. Of course that would be too much like an advertisement.

Sorry about the wheel. I'm curious whether you tried non-active cruise control (I'm assuming you did but want to be sure). That being deactivated by snow on the sensor would frustrate me as well.

Which Sottozeros do you have and in what size? While mine haven't tasted the white stuff yet, I'm confident they will perform well. Did you ever see a traction control or stability control light illuminate?

Haha this car on a ski slope would be insane and also a cool advert lol although some of the roads i was on where ideal skiing conditions!

Can you disable active cruise and revert it back to normal? If that's the case i did not notice. Either way once the sensor is covered the cruise buttons on the steering wheel gets disabled completely.

The tyres are Pirelli W 240 SottoZero S2 285/30 R19 98V XL AR on the rear and Pirelli W 240 SottoZero S2 245/35 R19 93V XL AR on the fronts. Same dimensions as the summers.

With the traction control light i cant say i did not notice it that much but i think that will most likely be me looking at where i am going rather than the dash. Saying that however if you have the car in "A" on the DNA the millisecond it slips it cuts power or moves it to the other wheel. I was actually quite surprised by how quick it reacts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey all

I realize this is a very old post. Hopefully you are still on the forum. I just purchased a used 2017 QV and would be interested in the part numbers for the Thule roof rack.
Thanks in advance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts