Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New owner of a Giulia Ti Sport, love the car but can't figure out how to activate the alternating/flashing tail light effects. During my first week of ownership, the car was in a parking lot- I remote started the vehicle then threw some luggage in the trunk and my coat in the back seat. When I looked at the rear of the car the tail lights were flashing and alternating between left and right. (I took a snapchat vid and sent to my kids but did not save the vid or I would post) It looked really cool but after scouring the owners manual and searching online I can't figure out how to recreate the effects again! Can anyone help? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I see this is your first post here...
Welcome to the forum :smile2:
Congrats on the new Giulia :grin2:

I've not seen that as a selection in the in-car-menu. Nor have I ever seen my car do that. Perhaps it only alternates the flashing lights while in remote start mode to attract your attention? I've never used the remote start. Try doing an experiment to see if it's a remote start thing.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Could it have had something to do with opening the trunk? A safety thing?

I've had my lights do strange flashy things too, although not what you describe. My running lights once flashed twice when I got in the car but has never done it again -- weird. The tail-light effect I want to see are the fast-flashing brake lights on hard braking. It's a European thing and not available in the US.

Btw, you can set your car to "greet you" with lights when you approach - that's turned on and off in the infotainment system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I tried re-enacting the light effects many different ways by remote starting, opening the trunk, back door, etc to no avail. I'll double check the greet you options to ensure I didn't change anything but don't think I did. Really wish I would have saved the video...now it's become an obsession.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Yes I understand the video/strobe effect you can get with the LED bulbs. However I witnessed this live, and the flashing also alternated from side to side in addition to the flashing. Something caused it, just need to determine what it was and if it can be recreated.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Yes, more likely a glitch than a never-before-seen, unannounced feature. Way, way more likely.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agreed. Called the dealership and asked, Service techs never heard of it and also suggested a glitch....or in the software world, “a feature not a bug”

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Agreed. Called the dealership and asked, Service techs never heard of it and also suggested a glitch....or in the software world, “a feature not a bug”
Keep us updated please.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,463 Posts
Like Tesla's Christmas light show?

Reactions: mjb

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,297 Posts
Old topic, I know, but I was messing around in Multiecuscan (MES) and found a setting for the turn signal., or was it brake lights... You can set it to European or North America (if I remember correctly). I wonder if this is similar. Anyone know? I haven't tested it yet, but will and report findings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New owner of a Giulia Ti Sport, love the car but can't figure out how to activate the alternating/flashing tail light effects. During my first week of ownership, the car was in a parking lot- I remote started the vehicle then threw some luggage in the trunk and my coat in the back seat. When I looked at the rear of the car the tail lights were flashing and alternating between left and right. (I took a snapchat vid and sent to my kids but did not save the vid or I would post) It looked really cool but after scouring the owners manual and searching online I can't figure out how to recreate the effects again! Can anyone help? Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
When you have car in remote start or running on a normal start...opening and closing the truck will cause the lights to flash and the trunk may reopen itself. This is because the key is close to, or in the vehicle and it is warning you not to lock it in.

Photographing LED taillights will be captured as the pulsing phenomenon you experienced. This is like photographing a tv or taking a cellphone video of a led flashlight.

The only setting to change the taillights is switching to European mode in the Body Computer via OBD II port. This allows the brake light and turn signal to flash separately instead of combined like the US mode.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
+1 to above post. Also if you unlock just the trunk and the car is still locked, the indicators will flash. Another thing, if you leave trunk open and try to lock the car, the indicators will flash rapidly.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Thanks. Yes I understand the video/strobe effect you can get with the LED bulbs. However I witnessed this live, and the flashing also alternated from side to side in addition to the flashing. Something caused it, just need to determine what it was and if it can be recreated.
LSD. —Crazy trip, man:love:

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,297 Posts
In MES you can change taillights from US to Europe. Maybe that's it?

Oops, I see that @MAXX already said this.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts