Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took my car in for a service, and I guess they “updated” the powertrain control module software (excuse my ignorance, I have no idea what they did). After getting the car back the range now shows 500 miles at full tank (before it never went over 400 miles at the time of fill up). Also in A mode it seems to occasionally coast and let the engine drop down to 750 rpm, which is something I was disappointed it didn’t do when I first got the car. I am accustommed to BMW’s ECO PRO mode. Am I imagining all of this or has anyone experienced this after taking their car in for a service?

Side note; the listed work done on the car didn’t say anything about any update done or anything to do with a TSB or recall.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Did one today and all it is is a ecm software update, just a simple flash, takes under an hour. Some early models need to have a sensor inspected for damage, and some need a FCA update as well but this one was jus the ecm.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Mine is 17 with all updates but T57....on long highway drives after refueling I have seen as high as 560 to empty (and 36mpg avg)....car has also always coasted in A on highway on slight decline for example (decouples transmission)...

So those two are not it....it seems like T57 is some kind of combo of last July updates or something....I will wait until somebody finds out any meaningful difference at all...otherwise I will just wait until next oil change...
Mine is built in Feb17, has all updates and is basically flawless, 15k miles so far

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is 17 with all updates but T57....on long highway drives after refueling I have seen as high as 560 to empty (and 36mpg avg)....car has also always coasted in A on highway on slight decline for example (decouples transmission)...

So those two are not it....it seems like T57 is some kind of combo of last July updates or something....I will wait until somebody finds out any meaningful difference at all...otherwise I will just wait until next oil change...
Mine is built in Feb17, has all updates and is basically flawless, 15k miles so far
To be honest I have no idea what updates this car has ever had. Driving with a light foot has never allowed for over 30mpg for me (which now it is). I definitely know that my car never coasted even for a little bit, although I could understand if the transmission was "reset" to forget my driving habits from when I first purchased the car. Well whatever it is, I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did one today and all it is is a ecm software update, just a simple flash, takes under an hour. Some early models need to have a sensor inspected for damage, and some need a FCA update as well but this one was jus the ecm.

Fair enough, maybe I just never noticed this. My range definitely never showed more than 400 miles at fill-up though so I don't understand that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And after looking up my VIN on the Alfa app it looks like I haven't had the T57 "SOFTWARE AND DRIVABILITY ENHANCEMENT" done to my car...Will have to schedule another service.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
My service papers said "perform recall T57".

·
Registered
537 Posts
And after looking up my VIN on the Alfa app it looks like I haven't had the T57 "SOFTWARE AND DRIVABILITY ENHANCEMENT" done to my car...Will have to schedule another service.
Might wanna call to see what was done, if they did in fact do the T57 it will take a few days to be processed and show up as complete.
Would be sad though if you need to go back for that, when they hook up to the car it shows what recalls are needed, so they really should have done it while it was there.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Fair enough, maybe I just never noticed this. My range definitely never showed more than 400 miles at fill-up though so I don't understand that.

That’s a significant change for sure, most likely they did a trans update and it allows for some more economy in lighter driving, you could see some improvements with the ecm update if it is operating more efficiently or supplying less boost, but most likely all of this is due to a recalibrated system that needs to relearn to your driving. I’m hoping it will stay this good but I’d suspect that the more you drive you’ll see it drop back down.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
my Australian 2.0 200hp drops to 750rpms in A mode since always
i also noticed a lot of updates in the UK seem to have already been in our cars from delivery

my range always shows 682 klms at fill up though - whatever that is in miles

edit: 368 nautical miles :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the service done yesterday, did some driving around, and to be honest I'm a bit surprised. But first some history.

I have a 17' 2.0L TI Q4 with ~8000 miles. Ever since getting the car (11 months ago) I had a few "quirks" I noticed in it performance. The first to be noticed was the severe "jerk" that happened when shifting from 1st to 2nd on a cold start. To be specific, on my car, it only happens with the first shift of the drive. Everything after shifted perfectly fine. The second was the "stuttering", where it would feel/sound like the car missed or was going to die at idle. On rare occasion it would actual shut off but we're talking two or three times over the time of ownership. Lastly, I would notice under "pedal to the metal" situations that the car would stutter during the pull and occasionally shift really hard in the upper gears (5-8), sometimes it was going it 6th other times into 8th. If you learn to feather the throttle a bit you could completely alleviate this problem so it seemed clear to me that the motor and transmission were a bit out of sync.

Now comes the fun part, and strangely ironic. The day after I received the FCA T57 notice my car had a seizure. On a Saturday morning cruise through my neighborhood with my wife (so driving the car with ease) it jerked harshly and threw a ton of codes. Scared the sh!t out of me and my wife. I thought that's it, it broke, thank god it's a lease. Service Electronic Throttle, Auto Stop/Start, Service ECT(?), Service Transmission, and probably some other dash board warnings. They were flashing by faster than my brain could comprehend. I parked the car, restarted it 5 times and the errors cleared to allow the car to come out of limp mode and be driven home.

Got it home and threw on the scanner, this is what I got. P106, P3053, P0236, and P1E2D. I'll let you all look those up, but the short story is it wasn't good. So scheduled a visit to the dealer. Told me it would be 1.5 hours, and that's exactly how long it took and they threw in the 10K service to spare me from having to come back in 2K miles, NICE. Service manager was great, he explained the update and understood my concerns and was convinced that the symptoms I was experiencing was exactly why the T57 "recall" was sent out. Not a maybe, and he wasn't being dismissive, he wasn't suprised by my problems and completely understood the issues. He knew, he'd seen these problems before. It actually made me feel at ease, it was nice.

Since getting the flash it feels like a different car to me now. Smooth acceleration, shifts, maybe even more power in D mode. I drove the **** out of it, not a hiccup. I even tried some of the tricks I'd learned to force the "problems" I had discovered previously. Everything was fine. So I'm impressed with the updates, so far.

Time will tell, but it seems like the things that were annoying me has been resolved. It is possible that I go several updates or caught up to the current version so I'm not sure if previous flashes would have resolved some. Either way, after some spirited driving (~250 miles yesterday all over southern California) I couldn't be happier at this point.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here are my 2 cents. Did the update yesterday.

Right away could tell that shifting dynamics have changed. No more jerks. Smooth shifting all the way (especially on D).
Downshifting is also nicer now after this update.
Idle after the load is more settle and stable. It feels like they reworked both transmission control programs and ECU maps.
Acceleration on D is now more linear. Which is a nice touch. Traction control interaction during the pull is still bad though.
A good second before the signal from the floored pedal gets to the brains and car starts to pull.
Rumor has it that Pedal Pro from eurocompulsion is addressing the problem to some degree. I wish they had a better return policy for a trial. On paper it sounds good but you never know if it will work for you before you try it.
Couple more weak spots of the 17's model are yet to be confirmed addressed.
Cold start transmission jerks for example. The Weather is too worm to properly test it right now.
Also remote start on my Giulia was inconsistent from the moment i got it. Will be testing if it was addressed.
Overall i am very happy with the update. It looks like they resolved some very annoying issues that were very widely reported by the owners. Good Job FCA

·
Registered
111 Posts
Got the T57 update last week. Drove approximately 500 miles during the weekend and I don't notice any changes at all in terms of driving. Still quite a bit jerky in the 1st/2nd gear. The only thing that changed is that the car doesn't have a tendency to stall on the cold start after the warm-up. Don't notice any changes in shifting as others did in this thread.

P.S. I have a 2017 Giulia TI

·
Registered
689 Posts
I just bought a used 2017 QV from the alfa dealer. I asked if any recalls were open and he said by law they can't sell a vehicle with open recalls. But I'm an untrusting soul so is there a way to determine if the t57 has been applied?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I just bought a used 2017 QV from the alfa dealer. I asked if any recalls were open and he said by law they can't sell a vehicle with open recalls. But I'm an untrusting soul so is there a way to determine if the t57 has been applied?
Robert, technically it was not a recall, it was a “campaign”. And as I recall (pun intended), it only applied to the 2.0L models.

Also, you can download the Alfa Romeo app, and register with your VIN, it should show any open recalls, or campaigns.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Thank you for the info. I downloaded app but ownership still tied to previous owner. Called alfa care and they said it takes up to two weeks for the title info to change. They did however confirm no open recalls and one campaign.....the glove box. But said it would only be fixed if it demonstrated an issue.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
OK good, glad you were able to get the info. btw, I never had any issue with my glove box, but Hendricks replaced mine when I was in for the T57 update, I did not request. Also, replaced or added some kind of seal at the top of the hood, their initiative, not mine.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I notice a jerking of the tranny when I slow down on an incline sometimes. It doesn't do it all the time but I never noticed it before.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts