Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only fully synthetic oil I can find is Pennzoil Euro LX 0W-30 that meets the Alfa spec. Selenia does too and is the factory fill, but can't find it, can't find Pennzoil oil in that grade either.

Here we go....

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Try a Shell brand too. Believe it or not, Rotella 5w40 turbo diesel synthetic is a a cross fleet spec oil. Brand new. I found it meets the SN (new) spec that Ferrari requires for the old (comparable) 360. This is a new trend with oil companies. You can see by the fleet use that it makes business sense. Both diesel and petrol. Luckily for me I could buy 3 big bottles rather than 6 or so of the original Penzoil Platinum spec from Ricambi, and save a little time and money too. Shell is a partner and sponsor of Scuderia Ferrari. Both Shell and Alfa Romeo Quad logos are on the cars today. ;) It's a great oil and helps the car run a little cooler in city traffic.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Is there a chart in the Owner's Manual that shows different acceptable viscosities of engine oil for varying ambient temperatures?
Call me old school if you like, but, 0W-30 or 0W-40 may "work" and give optimal fuel mileage and protection for new engines and "normal" street driving, but for hot summer laps on the track and (as we approach) higher mileage engines that may begin to consume oil, a thicker viscosity may be a better choice. Oil consumption on newer engines is NOT a good thing! It can begin to foul exhaust sensors, catalytic converters, secondary air journals inside the cylinder heads, creates build-up on valve pockets (esp. direct injection engines), clogs PCV systems, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Yeah John, think Shell sells it too but I never went in there to check after finding a stack of it in Advance Auto. Tell them to call New Milford in CT to do a stock transfer if your local has none or I can just mail you some ;)

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Quad

Doesn't the Quad take 0 W 40 full Synthetic ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Many high end Manfactures recommend Mobil1 oil. I checked and they do have 0w-30 fully synthetic oil available. I know Mobil1 is highly recommended for all MB AMG's and newer Z06 Corvettes. Interesting AR doesn't recommend it. When we get ours we will be running the 0w-40 full synthetic in it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Many high end Manfactures recommend Mobil1 oil. I checked and they do have 0w-30 fully synthetic oil available. I know Mobil1 is highly recommended for all MB AMG's and newer Z06 Corvettes. Interesting AR doesn't recommend it. When we get ours we will be running the 0w-40 full synthetic in it.
Yep, this. I went and got some just so have on hand for when need first and following top-ups.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
IMHO, as a professional automotive technician (mostly imports) for over 30 years, it is usually best, and always safe, to ONLY use the factory recommended fluids / oils / lubricants. My observations are from field experience and technical articles that I have read.
Sure, you can pour any oil in your engine or antifreeze in your radiator and drive down the road. But, in my experience, you are risking mechanical issues in the future. Using the wrong antifreeze, or mixing two incompatible products together can cause the solution to gel, crystallize, or corrode your internal alloy castings and eat-away at your engine gaskets causing leaks and component failure. Don't believe the claims on the label that states that it is a "Universal" product.
If you want to maintain your vehicle so that it has the best chance and ability to live as long a life, and as trouble free from costly repairs as possible, do the research. Look in the owners manual, manufacture web sites, etc. and find out exactly what the manufacturer recommends. Use ONLY products that state that they satisfy the standard set fort.
For example: Giulia engine. Only use oils that meet the Fiat standard 9.55535-GS1 or Chrysler MS-13340 (2.0 4 cyl.), for example. If you can't find those designations on the container, or on the product's web site move on.

Reactions: MacGeek
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.