Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Giulia Ti AWD Montecarlo Blue Metallic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was on the freeway here in Florida driving north and a sudden heavy rain and wind came out of nowhere. The cars in front of me were avoiding a bunch of flying debris, branches etc... and I had to swerve and ended up spinning through the heavy grassy median. I don't know how, but I didn't hit anything. However, some of the spinning was backwards and now there are some of the protective composite material plates under my car that were bent back and they are scraping the road. Any input here? Should I attempt to bend them back and make sure they are close to normal? I can't get under it yet...borrowing some ramps tonight to take a look.

Or should I get it to a dealer and have them do replacements? Also, if it's the dealer option, are we talking 100's? My deductible is $500. If it's near that area I'll just cover it... but if we are talking more than 1k I may just claim it on insurance. Any friendly guidance would be helpful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Take a look under first, on ramps, if you can bend things back, then i'd start there. If it looks bad you can always take it to the dealer for an estimate and file a claim on insurance, that's what it's for. Information is key here. need to know what's bent.

NIck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll post pics .. it's really just two panels in the middle of the car just forward of the front door hinges. I can see and almost reach them. It will be key when i get under.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
insurance for large ticket?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Thanks. I'll post pics .. it's really just two panels in the middle of the car just forward of the front door hinges. I can see and almost reach them. It will be key when i get under.
If you are talking the fibre material panels, they are probably torn at the mounting points and need replacement. Should run less than $200 each, plus about an hour to install.

Reactions: lockem

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much! Good info.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Thanks very much! Good info.
Your dealer can get the panels pretty quickly, it seems they have a stock in Michigan somewhere. It really needs to be on a lift to see which panels need replaced, and the two long panels between the wheels, passenger and driver side, can be a trifle tricky because the jack points interface with them...ask me how I know.

·
Super Moderator
2,957 Posts
There were two metal panels about mid point that had bent forward on mine, probably from an ice driving event. They bent right back in place. Hopefully that's all you did.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I'll tough it out for a couple weeks and get it into the dealer to see what's what. Much appreciated, and I'm a bit comforted that it's happened to some others... :D

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
The wheel well material is well known for tearing at the bottommost mount point. You may be disappointed when you see it up in the air and can tell what’s dinged.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update, I was able to get under the car while it was on a Ramp. The panel was bent back and had showed some signs, as expected, of dragging. I wire tied it as a temporary fix and it's all up pretty tight. No other signs of issues. I'm just over 4k miles from the 30K service. I'll have it addressed then. Thanks for the input and info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts