Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For an all new model I would have thought this would of been a no-brainer? Audi/MB/BMW/Volvo and many GM models now offer heads up display as available tech.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Not needed. When you're driving at F1 speeds, who needs a head-up display? Everything is heads-up when you're driving fast. I always have it turned off whenever driving any of the aforementioned cars. Why? The display NEVER contains all of the information that I need when I need it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not needed. When you're driving at F1 speeds, who needs a head-up display? Everything is heads-up when you're driving fast. I always have it turned off whenever driving any of the aforementioned cars. Why? The display NEVER contains all of the information that I need when I need it.
I have it on my SAAB and its great for cruising at highway speed and even better when receiving navigation directions.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
I think you are making my point. Driving a Saab is not a "performance" experience ;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can always turn it off. Available on the M3 and AMG. Even the most race inspired cockpits like the LaFerrari or Ford GT have fully digital displays that allows for quick driver recognition. To my knowledge the QV and Ti displays are just a typical needle layout (nothing wrong with that) with a small digital display in the middle.

Again, you can always turn it off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Having seen the execution of the navi and infotainment system in the Alfa I'm thinking they need to work on getting the basics up to par before getting all fancy with a HUD. It's such a gorgeous and breathtaking car from a performance standpoint that I don't care how unrefined and primitive the gizmos are, but ****...

·
Vendor
619 Posts
I have it on my Volvo, its nice but I wouldn't want it in the QV.

The gadgets and layout for the Giulia are leaps and bounds ahead of where they were just a few short years ago. I think they did a nice job on the interior of the car.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Personally, I like the HUD in the M3 because with the M-Sport Display mode you get current speed, gear, speed limit, and tachometer. Given how short the gearing is on the QV, the tach would be nice in Race mode.

Just picked up my QV this afternoon and have put 80 miles on it. Just did a back to back test with my M3...very interesting comparison. Similar, yet SO different. To me, the M3 is more athletic like a sprinter, whereas the Giulia is quieter and more plush riding, like a long distance cruiser. Reminds me a little bit of my 2014 E63s...an awesome, fast, comfortable, capable high speed car.

I don't I could place one car ahead of the other because each excels in different ways. I will write a more extensive review once I have more seat time. There are a few niggling things in the Alfa that should be updated ASAP. They are primarily media interface-related so they could be updated easily...such as having only 6 preset radio stations (WTF!)...and changing the the glare attracting flat plastic on the gauges and media screen. Would love to be on an Alfa Feedback Panel.

Reactions: compert

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
There are a few niggling things in the Alfa that should be updated ASAP. They are primarily media interface-related so they could be updated easily...such as having only 6 preset radio stations (WTF!)...and changing the the glare attracting flat plastic on the gauges and media screen. Would love to be on an Alfa Feedback Panel.
I guess this shows that everyone comes to this car from a different POV. My 1967 Giulia Super (which I drive to work most days) doesn't even have a radio… I am fine with a small Bluetooth speaker which sits on the passenger seat.

I would say that other than a few very simple things, the "tech" content of the car was not even really a consideration when buying, but I am happy to learn about it now.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
The infotainment aspect of the Guilia is the really glaring weak link.
As far as HUD used it once the first time my car was equipped and I never used it again. Not a feature for me

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, I have a HUD in my 2016 C Class. It's a cool gimmick but eventually I got annoyed having it permanently in my line of sight and shut it off. I will say the Benz has a highly refined infotainment system with all kinds of connectivity and integration and I can't wait to trade it all for a car with a primitive one but actual passion for the driving experience.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Personally, I like the HUD in the M3 because with the M-Sport Display mode you get current speed, gear, speed limit, and tachometer. Given how short the gearing is on the QV, the tach would be nice in Race mode.

Just picked up my QV this afternoon and have put 80 miles on it. Just did a back to back test with my M3...very interesting comparison. Similar, yet SO different. To me, the M3 is more athletic like a sprinter, whereas the Giulia is quieter and more plush riding, like a long distance cruiser. Reminds me a little bit of my 2014 E63s...an awesome, fast, comfortable, capable high speed car.

I don't I could place one car ahead of the other because each excels in different ways. I will write a more extensive review once I have more seat time. There are a few niggling things in the Alfa that should be updated ASAP. They are primarily media interface-related so they could be updated easily...such as having only 6 preset radio stations (WTF!)...and changing the the glare attracting flat plastic on the gauges and media screen. Would love to be on an Alfa Feedback Panel.
In Race mode just shift when you see a lotta yellow lol.

M3 Running back
Giulia down hill skier

Update is inevitable. I'd be curious to how much tint helps with the glare on the screen. Additionally with less glare would it affect clarity, maybe angle of material is more of a solution. I'll see what I can dig up.

I use paddles pretty much everywhere I drive, and flipping back and forth from my steering wheel mounted to the Giulia column mounted took about a week to get used to.

·
Registered
576 Posts
In Race mode just shift when you see a lotta yellow lol.

M3 Running back
Giulia down hill skier

Update is inevitable. I'd be curious to how much tint helps with the glare on the screen. Additionally with less glare would it affect clarity, maybe angle of material is more of a solution. I'll see what I can dig up.

I use paddles pretty much everywhere I drive, and flipping back and forth from my steering wheel mounted to the Giulia column mounted took about a week to get used to.
Maybe so, but the car really comes alive when using the paddles. By far the quickest shifting automatic I've ever driven/owned.

The differences between the Giulia and M3 are striking. The M3 feels like an extension of my body, where I feel every single inch of the road, and find the turn in to be much sharper...less artificially boosted (heavier). However, the Alfa is just so smooth and powerful. It's more of a technological marvel, but slightly disconnected from the road. The best comparison I can make is that the Giulia feels like an old 928 GTS, versus the M3 which feels like a 911 GT3.

The Alfa feels like a better everyday driver and super fast long distance cruiser, wheras the M3 is a knock down drag out street and track fighter, more MMA than Pugilist. The Alfa is as smooth as the Floyd Mayweather.

Curious to spend more time getting used to the controls. Lots of ergonomic flaws, but are they truly flaws or just different. Even the placement of the non-illuminated garage door buttons is annoying at night. This seems like a love/hate type of car. Beautiful, exotic, but quirky and high maintenance.

Alfa really needs to start a customer market research feedback panel. So many worthwhile improvements need to be made before it can become a true challenger to BMW, Mercedes, Audi.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts