Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that we have high 90's to low 100's here temperature-wise, I'm really feeling the heat coming through the sunroof, even with the privacy cover closed. Does anybody know of a sunshade that can fit under the sunroof so block the sun? I could probably cobble something together, but I'd rather just get one that already fits and has a method of attachment.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I checked around. My MINI Cooper has a Zippee Shade made to go between the glass and the screen with little suction cups to hold it in place so when you pull the screen back it doesn't move it. This is one thing that concerned me with the sunroofs without a hard cover to block the sun even with the dark glass and the shade I can feel the heat. With the shade it is reflective so it makes it very tolerable. The screens are automatic on Alfa which might make it trickier but I would look at the Mini shade and see what a difference in size it is (if nothing else you could customize something similar). I can measure mine. I have a QV so no sunroof on hand to compare it with. My sister had a VW and used the Mini Shade on her VW.

Honestly I can't believe it is this hard to find a shade for screen only covers. Alfa is not the only maker that designs it this way. I live in AZ and I keep the shades up in the MINI all summer since now it is my husband's daily driver and it sits out in an open lot all day. Brutal at our temps.

The challenge with the Alfa is that it is not a manual screen. The MINI is a manual screen slide.

Alfa is very weak on product offerings for these types of items which is unfortunate. Just googling it I am not finding much for sunroofs if anything other than for a MINI Cooper.

Might have to be creative on customizing something yourself. You might do a search on the forum since I think I remember this topic when I was first getting a Ti.

·
Registered
80 Posts
That is the reason I special ordered my Giulia. I could not find a Lusso so with all the safety and convenience options, the TI performance package, a crema interior and no sunroof. I almost bought a car that had everything I wanted with a sunroof but then realized the sun roof would not work for me. There were two considerations. I want that for both cooling reasons and, more importantly, to avoid getting sunburned on the top of my head. I have had sunroofs in over a dozen cars over the last 20 years and have never used. I bought them because they were part of option packages that I wanted. But I was only able to do so because in each case the car had a solid shade that kept all the sun out of the car.

I was prepared to buy the Giulia with a sunroof until I realized it does not have a solid shade and that a significant amount of sun came through the thin screen. I talked to the dealer about whether a thicker shade was available and they said there wasn't. I also talked to them about putting a darker tint on the sun roof glass but at the end of the day figured even that wasn't going to work for me. I also checked about aftermarket solutions and couldn't find any.

So for you, I think maybe the only solution since you have the car may be to get a darker tint on the sunroof glass. It won't eliminate all of the sun but can eliminate a considerable amount of it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
You might consider a UV type of tinting, when done correctly, it works pretty good. It would be more expensive, but nothing to put up, take down or work with when opening the sun roof.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have the same problem but somewhat of a more serious issue in this regard. I have had melanoma issues and don't always want to apply sunscreen for shorter commutes. Can anyone tell me if the shade offers any UVA and UVB protection ? I tried calling an Alfa Romeo rep, and could not get a definite answer. So, it would greatly be appreciated if someone here would have any insight on this particular matter one way or the other. Thanks !

Roger

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
This is what the option I use looks like. It may at least work to give you some cover. It covers all models in the mini lineup and the bigger ones are countryman cross overs. It might offer some relief. Sort of a windshield shade for the sunroof. It is a panoroof. I actually close my screen but this shows it open. Ideas anyway

http://zippeeshade.com/

·
Registered
461 Posts
My vote also would be for additional window tinting. Something dark or possibly even a metallic one. The factory window tint plus the aftermarket tint and the sunshade should give plenty of protection.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
You would think that would already be on a sunroof without a hard solid slide. Shame AR can't answer what the heck is on that for protection already so the guesswork is taken out.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,100 Posts
Possible to have the glass wrapped with an attenuating material?

·
Premium Member
2020 Giulia TI
613 Posts
I special ordered A Ti without sunroof because I thought the glass would transfer too much heat into the car. When that car disappeared (another story) I bought a similar car with the sunroof. During the recent heat wave I was reminded why I didn't want a sunroof. The A/C was sufficient to cool my upper body but I could feel the increased temp on the top of my head. I'm going to do some research on that Mini shade.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I special ordered A Ti without sunroof because I thought the glass would transfer too much heat into the car. When that car disappeared (another story) I bought a similar car with the sunroof. During the recent heat wave I was reminded why I didn't want a sunroof. The A/C was sufficient to cool my upper body but I could feel the increased temp on the top of my head. I'm going to do some research on that Mini shade.

So did I have a TI without sunroof coming in, it had rear window water leak in transit, blown amp and head unit, ended up with one with sunroof. Never use it, just carrying around weight and possible problems.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
My vote also would be for additional window tinting. Something dark or possibly even a metallic one. The factory window tint plus the aftermarket tint and the sunshade should give plenty of protection.
I would agree on the protection from the damaging rays but the actual sunshade does a good job of not baking you while driving. It also seems to protect the leather better on the other car. We keep the shade up until October. The mini has a very dark tint from the factory but not ceramic which would be better but she has done fine for 6 years in AZ and looks brand new and not nearly as hot when you get in the car. The screen alone was not sufficient here anyway

1 - 12 of 12 Posts