Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the dual pane roof. Does anyone else have a rattle in about the middle of the roof. It seems to be between the dual panes, maybe a loose cable or connection of some sort. I hear it when driving on the slightest of bumpy roads (which is pretty common).

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Yes; I started getting it when temps went below 40. Now that it's warm again the rattle is gone.
I could reproduce it if I pushed on the area between the glass panes as you said.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, weather doesnt seems to correlate for me. It seems to have progressively gotten worse (I imagine whatever it is has gotten more loose over time). Its hitting 90s here in Texas.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
There are velcro tabs in there and the whole thing moves a bit too mich when cold shrinks everything...i initially found one source close to rear passenger handle, fixed it with a bit of soft foam inserted between the liner and what appears to be roof moving mechanism, no noise since then....now that temps are up again it is completely quiet up there....also try to pull on liner and then press back semifirmly so that velcros attach properly

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the dual pane roof. Does anyone else have a rattle in about the middle of the roof. It seems to be between the dual panes, maybe a loose cable or connection of some sort. I hear it when driving on the slightest of bumpy roads (which is pretty common).
Mine does the same thing and it makes a humming noise at faster than freeway speeds.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are velcro tabs in there and the whole thing moves a bit too mich when cold shrinks everything...i initially found one source close to rear passenger handle, fixed it with a bit of soft foam inserted between the liner and what appears to be roof moving mechanism, no noise since then....now that temps are up again it is completely quiet up there....also try to pull on liner and then press back semifirmly so that velcros attach properly
Thanks for the tip, I will give this a try.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine does the same thing and it makes a humming noise at faster than freeway speeds.
Fortunately for me, mine does not hum. That would drive me nuts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 2019 TI has the same sunroof rattle and it is worse now that the temps are in the 20's. the thing that pisses me off is that I can't stand sunroofs waist of money and I have never used it. The problem is finding a car without one. I am ordering a new 2020 without a sunroof but there is some question whether I can get one by lease end in april. Who out there actually uses a sunroof?

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
My 2019 TI has the same sunroof rattle and it is worse now that the temps are in the 20's. the thing that pisses me off is that I can't stand sunroofs waist of money and I have never used it. The problem is finding a car without one. I am ordering a new 2020 without a sunroof but there is some question whether I can get one by lease end in april. Who out there actually uses a sunroof?
Me, would not have a car without one. Even when it’s not open I prefer the light coming in so I don’t feel like I’m in a cave.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
692 Posts
I love sunroofs.

My wifes x3 roof doesnt rattle but my old a3 definitely did. Just a thing that happens with the stiff roof and I'm not surprised by it. Temps do impact amount of creaking .

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just found out that it it not the roof that's making noise but the headliner between the 2 panels. If I push up on the headliner between the 2 shades it stops

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
I just found out that it it not the roof that's making noise but the headliner between the 2 panels. If I push up on the headliner between the 2 shades it stops
Does it rattle if the front headliner is open, or only when it’s closed?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yep. The rattle (I have) is headliner-related like what you describe. It's not the sunroof glass or mechanics. My fix was to insert foam insulation in the headliner gap. I used sill plate foam sheet insulation (a house thing). It's about an 1/8 inch thick so I cut and folded the stuff to fit the gaps enough to add down pressure to the headliner. I had to do it on both sides of the headliner between the two openings.

·
Registered
21 Posts
can you be more specific as to where you put the foam. If I reach into the headliner I can feel the metal mechanism. is this where to put the foam. Would LOVE a picture

·
Registered
256 Posts
can you be more specific as to where you put the foam. If I reach into the headliner I can feel the metal mechanism. is this where to put the foam. Would LOVE a picture
I cut full strips about 24 inches by 2 inches wide. Before jamming above both sides of the headliner between the front & back sunroof openings, I folded the foam to increase the thickness. Final size 24x1. In my case one fold was enough although I noticed that the sill plate foam sold today is thinner than the foam I used so you would probably have to fold it several times until thick enough to apply enough down pressure.

Anyway, the headliner between the front & back sunroof openings is what you have to apply down pressure to.

I can do a picture but there isn't much to see since the foam is buried behind the headliner. If you still don't understand, I will take a pic.

(I didn't go back and read the other posts but a while ago, someone else suggested that the noise is related to velcro fasteners somewhere behind the headliner but I have no clue where they are or how to get to them if that is the actual problem.)

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm personally not convinced that the rattle comes from the headliner. I do agree that the headliner is somewhat loose near the sunroof and when pushed it feels kind of sticky and produces a popping sound, but the sound on my car was more like a sharper click and sounded it was coming from the glass. Last weekend I have looked at it and noticed there was fine road dust accumulated on the rubber gasket underneath the sunroof glass. So I have sprayed some silicone lubricant on a piece of rag and cleaned both the front and rear gasket seals. My sunroof hasn't produced any noise since. It is a very easy fix and it definitely worth a try.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes! I had this exact problem on my 2018. It sounded like it was coming from the headliner near the front of the rear sunroof and if you pushed on it, it would stop . I considered stuffing foam up there and all of that but I took it in to my excellent service team and they discovered that there was a wiring harness loose in that area that was rattling around. They were able to move it and strap it down. All work was fully covered by my warranty, and it never rattled again. And they completed the work in less than an hour extra when I went in for an oil change. :)

Reactions: wingler

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes! I had this exact problem on my 2018. It sounded like it was coming from the headliner near the front of the rear sunroof and if you pushed on it, it would stop . I considered stuffing foam up there and all of that but I took it in to my excellent service team and they discovered that there was a wiring harness loose in that area that was rattling around. They were able to move it and strap it down. All work was fully covered by my warranty, and it never rattled again. And they completed the work in less than an hour extra when I went in for an oil change. :)
And here is the work order as proof. Hope it helps!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts