Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Sunroof Not Working

36K views 111 replies 35 participants last post by  pat.alfa 
#1 ·
Hello All,

My sunroof is totally inoperable. I've tried the sunroof initialization, but nothing comes of it. I've literally had the car for two months. I bought it brand new. There are 710 miles on it. It's almost ridiculous to think that I'm already having these problems with a car that I've handled with the utmost care. This comes right after the "start/stop not available" and "check engine" lights were on last week. Those were reset by the dealer.

Anyone have any suggestions before I drag this thing back to the dealer?

#3 ·
Hello All,

My sunroof is totally inoperable. I've tried the sunroof initialization, but nothing comes of it. I've literally had the car for two months. I bought it brand new. There are 710 miles on it. It's almost ridiculous to think that I'm already having these problems with a car that I've handled with the utmost care. This comes right after the "start/stop not available" and "check engine" lights were on last week. Those were reset by the dealer.

Anyone have any suggestions before I drag this thing back to the dealer?
Did they find/fix the root problem, or just reset the lights? Sounds like there may be an undiagnosed issue behind all these issues.

Reactions: Kefurr
#4 ·
I had the same issue, tried everything i could do and finally made the trek to the dealer. I would say Jim Butler Alfa in the St Louis area was amazing to work with, but unfortunately it was off the track. New track, motor replaced, and in the process they have me a new headliner all under warranty of course.....so you may be looking at the same.

#10 ·
My Giulia had the same work done as yours a month ago. Somehow the previous owner had burned out the motor and the sunroof fell off the guide rails. My dealer replaced the guide rails and motor in a matter of hours but unfortunately, they did not have the headliner in stock and because of COVID it took a week for it to come in after 2 delays in shipping. Otherwise, it would have taken a day for them to get it in. It's nice that the sunroof is included in the warranty.

#11 ·
Mine is at the dealership right now for this very same thing. Sunroof wouldn't close all the way. Had to make the 2 hour trek to the dealership and drop it off last Friday, they just told me it should be done tomorrow. They had to replace the guide rails. I had a bone stock Stelvio as a loaner.. not horrible but I missed my android auto/nav/sirius.

Also, I've owned the car for 7 months and it has about 8,500 miles on it. First issue I've had.

#12 ·
We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
AlfaRomeoCares

Reactions: Clarksville
#13 ·
My sunroof decided to play tricks on me and this is the first serious problem I have to face (used car, stripped off warranty)
I opened the shade last night and forgot to close it back. This morning the buttons will not work, nothing moves. The roof too will not open. The only button that produces a motor noise is the roof closing button.
Tried the initialization sequence but got no results.
Car sat for 3-4 hours in the morning under the intense Middle East heat but that is regular state of things, although admittedly I am not fiddling with the roof often.
It is a 2017 model, got it 2,5 months ago with almost 12000 miles on it.

Any ideas, back patting, sweet words welcome.
(I hope that opening the shade has somehow triggered the anti pinch mechanism - where does the shade go to when retracted?)

#14 ·
My sunroof decided to play tricks on me and this is the first serious problem I have to face (used car, stripped off warranty)
I opened the shade last night and forgot to close it back. This morning the buttons will not work, nothing moves. The roof too will not open. The only button that produces a motor noise is the roof closing button.
Tried the initialization sequence but got no results.
Car sat for 3-4 hours in the morning under the intense Middle East heat but that is regular state of things, although admittedly I am not fiddling with the roof often.
It is a 2017 model, got it 2,5 months ago with almost 12000 miles on it.

Any ideas, back patting, sweet words welcome.
(I hope that opening the shade has somehow triggered the anti pinch mechanism - where does the shade go to when retracted?)
What do you mean "stripped off warranty"? I bought a used 2017 model with the sunroof broken when I bought it. A couple of months later I took it to the dealership and they fixed it for free on warranty.

Don't really know why you sunroof would stop working overnight though. You did say "intense middle east heat" and I guess they could have caused a problem with the lubricant used on the rails but if extreme heat caused the sunroof to stop working, I would think more people would be reporting issues.

You could try a soft reset which I thinking is done by holding down the button until it clicks. Not sure exactly how it works though. I would call your local dealership and see if the service department can walk you through a reset or maybe something you can do on your side of things.

#27 ·
Yuck! The all time high temperature at my mountain retreat in California is 32.5C. We are getting 0-3C at 1AM now.

Anyway, do you have a private garage that is connected to an air conditioned space? Maybe you can cool the whole car off by letting the cooled air into the garage? Of course that will not help if some component is broken.

I keep my car covered as much as possible when I have to park it outside in the daytime. I have one of those MOPAR exterior car covers, although after 2.5 years it is due for replacement now.

#24 ·
running some water over it perhaps ?

does stop start work ok ? just a thought
yes S/S works fine
It seems the shade motor has gone to car components' heaven and at the same time shade has rolled back awkwardly preventing the roof opening - roof motor tries, I can hear it loudly crick-cricking away but nothing moves.
I should maybe post a video...

I did not get the water part...

#29 ·
I am distancing myself from the hot weather theory. The sound of the motor tells me there is something wrong there...
Did you see./hear the video?
Mostly making small talk.

The sound in the video makes me suspect a broken or out of position plastic drive gear.

My solution to sunroof problems is to buy a car that does not have one.

#32 ·
Coming back to report that after 4+4 days at the (useless) dealership here in Saudi, they have finally said that they need to replace the sunroof assembly for a mere 5300 USD.
I have arranged to at least have a talk with the technician when I go to get the car this afternoon. Time to try my hand on this, no way I am paying this money which is 20% of what I payed for the whole car.

#57 ·
Coming back to report that after 4+4 days at the (useless) dealership here in Saudi, they have finally said that they need to replace the sunroof assembly for a mere 5300 USD.
I have arranged to at least have a talk with the technician when I go to get the car this afternoon. Time to try my hand on this, no way I am paying this money which is 20% of what I payed for the whole car.

#34 ·
I would appreciate it if anyone with access to EPER database could provide a better analysis pics of the components below.
The Category code is 70122 (sliding sunroof)
Need to show to the technicians who have no clue and if they pinpoint the actual problem parts, then get a quote for those parts only anfd not the whole assembly as they are suggesting

#35 ·
I would appreciate it if anyone with access to EPER database could provide a better analysis pics of the components below.
The Category code is 70122 (sliding sunroof)
Need to show to the technicians who have no clue and if they pinpoint the actual problem parts, then get a quote for those parts only anfd not the whole assembly as they are suggesting
You already have those pictures. There is nothing more to it.
There aren't many replaceble parts on panorama sunroof so if something is damaged usually your only choice is to get either new one or used one as complete unit.
Also without removing it from car it's hard to tell what exactly is broken.

#36 ·
As @shpuncik mentioned these are normally serviced as an assembly...parts availability and the sheer labor to remove it and rebuild it make it much more economical to replace than repair...
but here are all the parts available...203 and 303 are the same illustration but which one applies to you is dependent on build date

Attachments