Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

Registered
2017 RWD Ti Lusso
Don't I know that! That's the coolest we get this time of the year - it was 1am... 馃サ

Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
ouch

running some water over it perhaps ?

does stop start work ok ? just a thought

Registered
2017 RWD Ti Lusso
running some water over it perhaps ?

does stop start work ok ? just a thought
yes S/S works fine
It seems the shade motor has gone to car components' heaven and at the same time shade has rolled back awkwardly preventing the roof opening - roof motor tries, I can hear it loudly crick-cricking away but nothing moves.
I should maybe post a video...

I did not get the water part...

Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
water was meant to help cool it down to 21 C but it doesnt sound like a heat issue ... could you try a dealership who may have a look at it and possibly free it up even if it is out of warranty?

Registered
Don't I know that! That's the coolest we get this time of the year - it was 1am... 馃サ
Yuck! The all time high temperature at my mountain retreat in California is 32.5C. We are getting 0-3C at 1AM now.

Anyway, do you have a private garage that is connected to an air conditioned space? Maybe you can cool the whole car off by letting the cooled air into the garage? Of course that will not help if some component is broken.

I keep my car covered as much as possible when I have to park it outside in the daytime. I have one of those MOPAR exterior car covers, although after 2.5 years it is due for replacement now.

Registered
2017 RWD Ti Lusso
I am distancing myself from the hot weather theory. The sound of the motor tells me there is something wrong there...
Did you see./hear the video?

Registered
I am distancing myself from the hot weather theory. The sound of the motor tells me there is something wrong there...
Did you see./hear the video?
Mostly making small talk.

The sound in the video makes me suspect a broken or out of position plastic drive gear.

My solution to sunroof problems is to buy a car that does not have one.

Registered
2017 RWD Ti Lusso
:) first car with sunroof for me
I hope it is just the drive gear. What puzzles me is that the shade won't move too

Registered
2017 RWD Ti Lusso
Coming back to report that after 4+4 days at the (useless) dealership here in Saudi, they have finally said that they need to replace the sunroof assembly for a mere 5300 USD.
I have arranged to at least have a talk with the technician when I go to get the car this afternoon. Time to try my hand on this, no way I am paying this money which is 20% of what I payed for the whole car.

Registered
2017 RWD Ti Lusso
I had the same issue, tried everything i could do and finally made the trek to the dealer. I would say Jim Butler Alfa in the St Louis area was amazing to work with, but unfortunately it was off the track. New track, motor replaced, and in the process they have me a new headliner all under warranty of course.....so you may be looking at the same.
I will be trying to fix the same problem outside the local dealership (not US). Could you tell me why a new headliner was needed?

Registered
2017 RWD Ti Lusso
I would appreciate it if anyone with access to EPER database could provide a better analysis pics of the components below.
The Category code is 70122 (sliding sunroof)
Need to show to the technicians who have no clue and if they pinpoint the actual problem parts, then get a quote for those parts only anfd not the whole assembly as they are suggesting

Registered
I would appreciate it if anyone with access to EPER database could provide a better analysis pics of the components below.
The Category code is 70122 (sliding sunroof)
Need to show to the technicians who have no clue and if they pinpoint the actual problem parts, then get a quote for those parts only anfd not the whole assembly as they are suggesting
You already have those pictures. There is nothing more to it.
There aren't many replaceble parts on panorama sunroof so if something is damaged usually your only choice is to get either new one or used one as complete unit.
Also without removing it from car it's hard to tell what exactly is broken.

Registered
As @shpuncik mentioned these are normally serviced as an assembly...parts availability and the sheer labor to remove it and rebuild it make it much more economical to replace than repair...
but here are all the parts available...203 and 303 are the same illustration but which one applies to you is dependent on build date

Attachments

Registered
2017 RWD Ti Lusso
Thank you !
I have no idea how/why the technician went about checking it for a total of 8 days (!) but in any case I would think that, 2 motors and a sunshade for example, would cost less than the 5300 USD that I was quoted for the whole assembly. In short, I think he is clueless
The pics I have are of very low resolution and part numbers are not visible, hence I asked for better quality ones. preferably in English.
I had the impression that by removing the headliner, one can check the components and see what's what without removing the whole assembly. As it is, they managed to damage the rear handle mechanism in the process, so that it does not retracts automatically (handle above the window)

Registered
2017 RWD Ti Lusso
After talking to the technician, it became clear that he does not know which component failed. He eventually said something along the line of "the sunroof frame is faulty, thus we are required to replace the whole assembly".
When I asked to pinpoint where the frame is on the diagrams he could not answer.
The convo was heating up when a supervisor intervened to state that "We are the dealership, we will not repair anything, we can only replace"
I am writing a letter to FCA Italy about all this.

P.S. After getting the car back from "inspection", the rear sunshade has come out of alignment and the rear grab handle spring is damaged or missing

Registered
so instead of dealing with it in civilised way you gonna try to get your car's VIN flagged in whole FCA dealership network around the globe as not serviceable? way to go :D

Registered
2017 RWD Ti Lusso
so instead of dealing with it in civilised way you gonna try to get your car's VIN flagged in whole FCA dealership network around the globe as not serviceable? way to go :D
Could you elaborate?

Edit: Kind of lost as to what made you think my way was uncivilized and how a customer complaint will get my VIN flagged/
If you have something constructing to add, I am all ears - honestly! But I feel your comment, even with the smiley at the end, has got a somewhat ominous feel about it.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts