Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

My sunroof is totally inoperable. I've tried the sunroof initialization, but nothing comes of it. I've literally had the car for two months. I bought it brand new. There are 710 miles on it. It's almost ridiculous to think that I'm already having these problems with a car that I've handled with the utmost care. This comes right after the "start/stop not available" and "check engine" lights were on last week. Those were reset by the dealer.

Anyone have any suggestions before I drag this thing back to the dealer?

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Hello All,

My sunroof is totally inoperable. I've tried the sunroof initialization, but nothing comes of it. I've literally had the car for two months. I bought it brand new. There are 710 miles on it. It's almost ridiculous to think that I'm already having these problems with a car that I've handled with the utmost care. This comes right after the "start/stop not available" and "check engine" lights were on last week. Those were reset by the dealer.

Anyone have any suggestions before I drag this thing back to the dealer?
Did they find/fix the root problem, or just reset the lights? Sounds like there may be an undiagnosed issue behind all these issues.

Reactions: Kefurr

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had the same issue, tried everything i could do and finally made the trek to the dealer. I would say Jim Butler Alfa in the St Louis area was amazing to work with, but unfortunately it was off the track. New track, motor replaced, and in the process they have me a new headliner all under warranty of course.....so you may be looking at the same.

·
Registered
50 Posts
They had mine 3 days.. lol. Had a beautiful Lusso for a loaner though!!

·
Registered
2017 Giulia TI
21 Posts
My Giulia had the same work done as yours a month ago. Somehow the previous owner had burned out the motor and the sunroof fell off the guide rails. My dealer replaced the guide rails and motor in a matter of hours but unfortunately, they did not have the headliner in stock and because of COVID it took a week for it to come in after 2 delays in shipping. Otherwise, it would have taken a day for them to get it in. It's nice that the sunroof is included in the warranty.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine is at the dealership right now for this very same thing. Sunroof wouldn't close all the way. Had to make the 2 hour trek to the dealership and drop it off last Friday, they just told me it should be done tomorrow. They had to replace the guide rails. I had a bone stock Stelvio as a loaner.. not horrible but I missed my android auto/nav/sirius.

Also, I've owned the car for 7 months and it has about 8,500 miles on it. First issue I've had.

·
Vendor
1,212 Posts
Mine is at the dealership right now for this very same thing. Sunroof wouldn't close all the way. Had to make the 2 hour trek to the dealership and drop it off last Friday, they just told me it should be done tomorrow. They had to replace the guide rails. I had a bone stock Stelvio as a loaner.. not horrible but I missed my android auto/nav/sirius.

Also, I've owned the car for 7 months and it has about 8,500 miles on it. First issue I've had.
We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
AlfaRomeoCares

·
Registered
2017 RWD Ti Lusso
122 Posts
My sunroof decided to play tricks on me and this is the first serious problem I have to face (used car, stripped off warranty)
I opened the shade last night and forgot to close it back. This morning the buttons will not work, nothing moves. The roof too will not open. The only button that produces a motor noise is the roof closing button.
Tried the initialization sequence but got no results.
Car sat for 3-4 hours in the morning under the intense Middle East heat but that is regular state of things, although admittedly I am not fiddling with the roof often.
It is a 2017 model, got it 2,5 months ago with almost 12000 miles on it.

Any ideas, back patting, sweet words welcome.
(I hope that opening the shade has somehow triggered the anti pinch mechanism - where does the shade go to when retracted?)

·
Registered
2017 Giulia TI
21 Posts
My sunroof decided to play tricks on me and this is the first serious problem I have to face (used car, stripped off warranty)
I opened the shade last night and forgot to close it back. This morning the buttons will not work, nothing moves. The roof too will not open. The only button that produces a motor noise is the roof closing button.
Tried the initialization sequence but got no results.
Car sat for 3-4 hours in the morning under the intense Middle East heat but that is regular state of things, although admittedly I am not fiddling with the roof often.
It is a 2017 model, got it 2,5 months ago with almost 12000 miles on it.

Any ideas, back patting, sweet words welcome.
(I hope that opening the shade has somehow triggered the anti pinch mechanism - where does the shade go to when retracted?)
What do you mean "stripped off warranty"? I bought a used 2017 model with the sunroof broken when I bought it. A couple of months later I took it to the dealership and they fixed it for free on warranty.

Don't really know why you sunroof would stop working overnight though. You did say "intense middle east heat" and I guess they could have caused a problem with the lubricant used on the rails but if extreme heat caused the sunroof to stop working, I would think more people would be reporting issues.

You could try a soft reset which I thinking is done by holding down the button until it clicks. Not sure exactly how it works though. I would call your local dealership and see if the service department can walk you through a reset or maybe something you can do on your side of things.

·
Registered
2017 RWD Ti Lusso
122 Posts
Car was exported to the Middle East, hence the no warranty part. No lub applied by anyone, no one has touched the sunroof since the car came here
Tried the reset, not working.

·
Registered
2017 RWD Ti Lusso
122 Posts
Night in Australia or in Saudi Arabia :geek:?

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
2,584 Posts
I have had a couple of funky things happen when parked in the hot sun ... might just need to cool down and reset

·
Registered
2017 RWD Ti Lusso
122 Posts
Tried it after cooling down to 31 deg Celcius. No luck....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts