Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so before we get too into this 1) yes, i realize a lot are opposed to the sunroof in general, no offense, i appreciate your opinion but let's not get into why no one should ever have one;). 2) I've seen a lot of posts about this but no solutions short of taking it to the shop and fighting with AR/ insurance.
The glass exploded just like multiple other pictures on other forums...i found replacement glass online and was really just looking to find out if this is something i can fix on my own. It looks like i can remove the glass and the track it is attached to, then just replace with the new assembly(it comes with the track). What i don't want to get into is pulling the headliner, etc. I can't seem to find any videos or explanation of my assumption is correct so I'm turning to the real experts. I appreciate your help!

· Vendor
1,428 Posts
Hello,

We're very sorry to hear this happened to your sunroof. If you decide to go a different route and take it to an Alfa Romeo dealership for repair, please feel free to send us a message. We'd be happy to offer extra support.

Lex
Alfa Romeo Cares

· Registered
1,565 Posts
why would you want to replace tracks? sunroof glass is separate part - just replace it. to replace tracks you'll have to pull headliner.

· Registered
117 Posts
Ok so before we get too into this 1) yes, i realize a lot are opposed to the sunroof in general, no offense, i appreciate your opinion but let's not get into why no one should ever have one;). 2) I've seen a lot of posts about this but no solutions short of taking it to the shop and fighting with AR/ insurance.
The glass exploded just like multiple other pictures on other forums...i found replacement glass online and was really just looking to find out if this is something i can fix on my own. It looks like i can remove the glass and the track it is attached to, then just replace with the new assembly(it comes with the track). What i don't want to get into is pulling the headliner, etc. I can't seem to find any videos or explanation of my assumption is correct so I'm turning to the real experts. I appreciate your help!
was your sunroof tinted by any chance? Just curious as i've heard mixed feedback regarding this

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not replacing the tracks in the roof itself. There are tracks attached to the glass, that slide into the ones in the roof. It just shattered driving down the highway, wasn't doing anything unusual. It is tinted

· Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
9,422 Posts
I'm not replacing the tracks in the roof itself. There are tracks attached to the glass, that slide into the ones in the roof. It just shattered driving down the highway, wasn't doing anything unusual. It is tinted
The first guy to report this in the Giulia forums had it happen at highway speed and shards of glass showered the trunk lid, scratching the paint. From your posts I presume that did not happen to you. Perhaps the tint film held the glass together and avoided said calamity.

Apparently Tesla uses laminated glass instead of tempered glass for their sunroofs in order to avoid the glass shower hazard. That is another example of a plastic film holding things together.

There are many things with the potential to cause the glass to suddenly break. Manufacturing flaws, thermal stress, mechanical stress, hail damage** , falling rocks (flipped up by other vehicles, or falling from a nearby cliff), micro-meteorites*, stuff dropped by birds all come to mind. I have not heard anything about a study regarding what is involved in these problems.

* Micrometeorites are remarkably common, but are grain of sand to grain of dust sized and make very little impact when they hit so they are a pretty unlikely cause of the issue.
** Scratches in the glass may cause a delayed failure.

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Luckily it didn't fall into the car, but it did scratch up the rear deck lid and my spoiler. I read on the Stelvio forum from several people that its caused from pressure difference inside and outside the car. Seems like a defect to me, but happens with certain makes/models.
Hood Motor vehicle Building Urban design Automotive exterior

1 - 9 of 9 Posts