Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had success removing them from their QV, and if so how?
Thanks

·
Registered
658 Posts
Prior to the Giulia was always able to find a solvent that dissolved the glue or label on earlier cars. I tried all the online removal suggestions I could find wihtough success. Ended up going with this option
https://www.sunvisorsolutions.com/
Which isn’t ideal, particularly since even with the test swatch it took a couple of tries to find an OK color match. But I no longer think about the warning labels so it’s an improvement.

If you find the magic solvent. Or a source for label free visors please post it.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Which was the correct color match ?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I will check this evening on what I picked, apologies I can't remember off hand. It's not an exact match just the closest I found.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Anyone had success removing them from their QV, and if so how?
Thanks
I removed mine. It was a lot of work.

Tools used: Rubbing alcohol (pre-soaked pads and 99% isopropyl alcohol in a bottle) + hair dryer.

Technique:

1. Warm up the label with the hair dryer.
2. Soak the edge of the label with alcohol.
3. Gently pull the label while rubbing the edge with the alcohol pad.
4. Reheat / re-soak / repeat.

It is a very slow process. Patience! You'll be able to pull the label 1-2 mm before needing to reheat and re-soak. It took me about an hour and a half to do each visor. Don't rush the process — you'll scar the visor. Do not use more aggressive solvents, such as acetone — you'll destroy the vinyl. Do not overheat the visor for the same reason.

I did the driver side visor still mounted on the car and removed the passenger side one to do it on my workbench. Both took about the same time to complete. The only advantage of removing the visor is that I did not worry about spilling alcohol on the interior of my QV. Removal of the visor is a bit tricky though (you'll need a tiny flat screwdriver for undoing the plastic screw flap which is too easy to scratch).

The end result is good. There is still a faint outline of the label, but it is only visible in a very specific lighting conditions. I think AR uses heat-set glue on the visor labels meaning the vinyl surface under the label will never be the same as it is outside the label.

It's doable but be careful. New sun visors from the dealer are over $1000 per set. No kidding.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've used acetone in the past to remove the labels from my Porsche. It works, but be veeeeeeeerrrryyyyyyyy careful if you decide to try it. Test a spot first. They will peel off instantly.

Reactions: GiuliaQV

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
What about that Goo Gone? I found they even have a special sticker removal kit with a bottle and plastic pry bar? I’ve used the stuff for years and it always seems to work great.

Goo Gone Sticker Lifter - Adhesive & Sticker Remover

·
Registered
82 Posts
What about that Goo Gone?
Tried it. It didn't work.

By some unknown reason AR uses extremely strong glue to the extent of almost "welding" stickers to sun visors. It took me several hours just to figure out the technique that finally worked. Goo Gone, Goof Off, that label kit, various alcohol solutions, even (yes!) acetone and several other commercial solvents. None of it worked. The problem was once I peeled a corner of the label off the sunvisor I was commited. There was no way back.

All of this compared to Maserati, where sun visor labels simply fall off by themselves...

·
Registered
658 Posts
I removed mine. It was a lot of work.

New sun visors from the dealer are over $1000 per set. No kidding.
Thanks for the how to. You have waaaay more patience than I do. When working on mine I got to the place where I discovered it was possible but was going to me a 1/16" at a time I gave up and bought the stickers. Given that you can still see the witness mark from the glue the slight color mismatch from the stickers doesn't seem so bad.

I figured the replacement would be pricey with the door opener built in but $1,000 is outrageous.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Didn't work.
That’s crazy. You’re probably right that they’re using some kind of heat activated glue and not just regular adhesive. If that’s the case the sticker overlays might be the easiest solution and you can peel them off when you sell to return to stock conditions. I assume the crazy $1000 replacements will come with new labels lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think it is a great opportunity for Centerline, MADNESS, etc. to source European sticker-less sun visors for the Giulia as an aftermarket option. We'll buy them.

Or maybe a carbon fiber shell that encapsulates the whole visor covering the label.

Labels are ugly.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
You could remove them and just spray plastidip over the labels. I couldn’t stand the white EZpass on my windshield so I coated it with matte black plastidip and it’s almost unnoticeable now. I think I might just get the stickers though, easy on and no removal and potential damage of the visor in the process...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Reactions: GiuliaQV

·
Registered
82 Posts
You tried Acetone, not rubbing alcohol? Acetone is mean stuff.
Please read my posts.

I've tried several kinds of acetone: pure acetone, paint thinner, and one other acetone-based commercial solvent. None of it worked on the glue AR used on the labels. The labels and the glue are not the same as used by Porsche/VW.

Acetone is a nasty stuff for sure. It damages vinyl in no time. I do not recommend trying acetone on AR sun visors. After discovering that the acetone will not work on my sun visor glue I have made a mistake trying to buff off the witness mark from the label with acetone on my passenger side visor (it was suggested in one of the videos on YouTube by another Porsche owner). Even though I was only keeping acetone on the surface of the visor for no more than 3-4 seconds (dousing it off with Clorox right after) it changed the sheen of the visor by making it "shinier".

Stay away from acetone.

Alcohol (even 99%) is safe.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Another thing:

Soaking the labels with ANYTHING as suggested by many online how-to's is a waste of time. It does nothing to the AR sun visor labels.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Legal requirement to have this in most countries. MOT failure without it. Be warned.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. It seems more trouble then it's worth to remove them.

I may just put a decal over them

1 - 20 of 41 Posts