Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new 2.0 petrol Edizione on june 20th.

Has been working perfect until just an hour ago - on way home from work, stopped to get groceries, when starting the car again dashboard became x-mas tree.

Headlight warning, collision indicator warning, engine failure warning and various other warnings. Aircon works but does not cool. Indicators do not work, same goes for windshield wipers.

The car starts and drives normally, so I'm pretty sure the warnings are due to a computer error as it also says there's no gas left and I know for sure the tank is half full.

The only thing different today is that it's first time I have been driving in the rain - not very heavy though.

I will take it to the dealership tomorrow, was just wondering if anyone has tried anything similar?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Check the battery !!!!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I got a new 2.0 petrol Edizione on june 20th.
Has been working perfect until just an hour ago - on way home from work, stopped to get groceries, when starting the car again dashboard became x-mas tree.
Headlight warning, collision indicator warning, engine failure warning and various other warnings. Aircon works but does not cool. Indicators do not work, same goes for windshield wipers.
The car starts and drives normally, so I'm pretty sure the warnings are due to a computer error as it also says there's no gas left and I know for sure the tank is half full.
The only thing different today is that it's first time I have been driving in the rain - not very heavy though.
I will take it to the dealership tomorrow, was just wondering if anyone has tried anything similar?
Yes, I had something VERY similar to that in my Quad. It was diagnosed as a "loose electrical connection" which they located under my console.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:

I just went down to the garage to start it up. This time the indicators, fuel level and aircon was working but still got a lot of errors, engine, light, collision etc.

Then I tried to stop it again wait a minute and start it up again. This time with no errors at all. I will still take it to the dealership tomorrow for a checkup as I have to go on a 1.000 km trip on Thursday.

Also, I am taking it for a wash tomorrow, so if it has anything to do with water the wash should be able to replicate it.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
I think your first instinct was correct, take it to the dealer and tell them to sort it out! No reason you should waste you’re time trying to diagnose problems on a brand new car.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,744 Posts
You will need to get a Multimeter and while you're at it, also get a OBD II reader with code clearing capabilities to clear all the error codes you will get.
A new, fully charged battery should read 12.6 volts or more, depending on how much time has passed since the most recent charging was stopped. The reading might be a little lower if some power draw is active such as the computers that activate when you open the trunk to measure the battery.

I discovered very recently that the negative terminal of the battery (the battery is located behind a panel in the right rear corner of the trunk) is quick disconnect and that on my car the clip that holds the connector together was not engaged, leaving the connector loose. This never caused any problems in my car, but seems like it would have the potential to cause problems. It takes very little effort to check it.

The positive terminal of the battery is connected via an over-center lever and cam operated clamp. Like the clip on the negative terminal, this too has the potential to be improperly installed while being semi-functional. It is harder to check than the negative terminal connection because the plastic lever that operates the cam cannot be seen on an installed battery, the check is by touch/feel.

Of course if some other electrical connector is loose it could take quite a bit of effort to locate it.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,180 Posts
Just take it into a dealer/service provider and let them diagnose and address the issue. That's what the warranty is there for. IMHO

If you have the time and money to spend on the tools to diagnose and fix the issue, go ahead.

Good luck and let us know it goes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update:

I just got back from the dealership, seems I was right about the rain. Apparently, my brand new €62.000 car is not rain proof :D

Specifically it turns out the car's computer is placed right under the part of the hood where most of the water comes in (insert facepalm here) and the rubber gasket protecting the computer is faulty.
They will not get a replacement in stock until next week, so all I can do now is pray to the weather gods for no rain the next couple of days during my 2.000 km trip to Germany.

On top of that I was also advised not to wash the car :D

·
Registered
691 Posts
Update:

I just got back from the dealership, seems I was right about the rain. Apparently, my brand new €62.000 car is not rain proof :D

Specifically it turns out the car's computer is placed right under the part of the hood where most of the water comes in (insert facepalm here) and the rubber gasket protecting the computer is faulty.
They will not get a replacement in stock until next week, so all I can do now is pray to the weather gods for no rain the next couple of days during my 2.000 km trip to Germany.

On top of that I was also advised not to wash the car :D
Sorry...I posted that it was water in the ECU, but removed my posts because most of those issues were on the QV and RHD vehicles where the scuttle was manufactured wrong. I should have left it posted! :surprise:

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,180 Posts

I suppose this is one the "quirks"/"peculiarities" i keep hearing about :grin2:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Had the exact same problem at 1000 miles. Not a drop of rain or water anywhere near it. Was at the dealer for 2 weeks and they found absolutely nothing to explain it. Cleared something like 29 codes and gave it back to me. Hasn’t happened again since.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Right Hand Drive! That was my first thought. We could not tell from your post or profile. If the car is working now and the connection is not corroded, see if you can wrap the ecu and connector in a plastic bag and tape it off. Or, tape off the hole in the scuttle and let it drain some else. A combination of the two is probably best. This was a design oversight from flipping the Scuttle for Right hand drive while NOT flipping the ECU. Silly and should have been a recall. A big thread on Alfaowner.com. I still get alerts but am bored to death of the no longer relevant thread for my left hand drive beauty ;)

My boost harness on the Miata was loose on one end in the comb plug. So easy to do on a long sticky connector up under the inverted munchkin land dash. Tach would drop out, lose ignition and generally freak out, radio too. Dealer found it. Last good thing they ever did. They could not find the shorts that formed later from wear under the radio and glove box. A skill and challenge they should have as the pros. No I didn't need a new engine and no you can't have my highly boostable iron block. Pushing close to 200hp on the fat pulley and only 10 psi boost. Not for sale. :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts