Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Miller Motorcars in Greenwich CT was the only dealer in the NYC metro area willing to take an order for a Ti equipped with the specific combo of options I wanted (like, NO sunroof). The other dealers - including a Fiat/Alfa dealer 2 blocks from my home - insisted that they had no control over the cars they were allocated, and I didn't want any of the cars on their lots.

So, on February 13th I placed my order with Miller. Miller also handles Ferrari, Maserati, Aston Martin, Bugatti, and Rolls. Not exactly your dimwit neighborhood Fiat dealer.

Anyhow, on March 24 the dealer calls to report that my Ti is among a shipment that just arrived at the port in Baltimore. Might arrive at Miller in a week.

Then, a week later, as of March 31, they report that shipment hadn't budged off the dock.

Arrgh.

So, once a shipment reaches the entry port, does anyone know what happens next? I assume there's customs clearance, trucking to dealer, dealer prep, etc. How long does this take?

No, I'm not impatient....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi.

Miller Motorcars in Greenwich CT was the only dealer in the NYC metro area willing to take an order for a Ti equipped with the specific combo of options I wanted (like, NO sunroof). The other dealers - including a Fiat/Alfa dealer 2 blocks from my home - insisted that they had no control over the cars they were allocated, and I didn't want any of the cars on their lots.

So, on February 13th I placed my order with Miller. Miller also handles Ferrari, Maserati, Aston Martin, Bugatti, and Rolls. Not exactly your dimwit neighborhood Fiat dealer.

Anyhow, on March 24 the dealer calls to report that my Ti is among a shipment that just arrived at the port in Baltimore. Might arrive at Miller in a week.

Then, a week later, as of March 31, they report that shipment hadn't budged off the dock.

Arrgh.

So, once a shipment reaches the entry port, does anyone know what happens next? I assume there's customs clearance, trucking to dealer, dealer prep, etc. How long does this take?

Oh, that is frustrating. I don't know the answer, but hope it makes its way to CT soon! What are the specs on the car that you ordered?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car that I ordered is as follows:

Ti AWD
Rosso w/red calipers & black interior
Ti Performance Pack
Ti 19" Sport Pack (all-season tires on dark 5-holers)
Driver Asst Static Pack
Navigation
Harmon-Kardon

Seem like a sensible combination of options that might be available on a car at one of the five or so dealers within 50 miles of NYC? Nope.

Well, it makes me nuts thinking that it's just sitting there on the dock.

·
Registered
244 Posts
You'd be amazed to see the routes those trucks will take once a car is unloaded from a ship. Not the best when it comes to shortening delivery time, but it may save them some money.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Hi.

Arrgh.

Welcome :)

That first dealer is correct in saying they don't have control with what AR sends them. But, they lost a sale because they wouldn't work with you and place a special order. They also didn't think about do a dealer trade. But, even if they had thought about that, they would not have found anything with a Ti Performance Package anywhere in the USA.

We have a similarly optioned Ti on order because I insisted on getting an LSD and paddle shifters. And we both liked the blue with cream seats, Lusso Pack. Like you, we didn't want a sun roof.

Unexpected delays from Alfa Romeo? lol Yup, it's an Alfa. Relax and wait, patiently. There's no power on earth (or heavens) that can move Alfa any faster. As to why there is hold-up? Your guess is as good as mine. AR will never say word one about it. My 4C sat in Baltimore port three months without a word from AR, except they tried to deny that any 4C was here yet. Meanwhile we had pictures of 100 4Cs in port.

The good news is that once you do get your Ti and put a few miles on it, all will be forgiven and forgotten. Our Ti is still in Cassino, but we did put ten miles on a Ti test drive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yesterday morning Miller Motorcars (my dealer) received a truckload of Giulias and Tis from the Baltimore port. Unfortunately, mine was not on that truck.

No definite ETA, but at least some cars are being getting off the docks and being shipped out to dealers.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
526 Posts
I feel your pain! My car supposedly arrived in port, Jacksonville, FL, on March 20th so I'm 4 days up on you. It doesn't get any better either.

My car was supposed to arrive at my dealer today but haven't heard whether it arrived or not and I've quit holding my breath.

It's like waiting for Christmas when you were a kid but in this case, you don't know what day Christmas is!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I feel your pain! My car supposedly arrived in port, Jacksonville, FL, on March 20th so I'm 4 days up on you. It doesn't get any better either.

My car was supposed to arrive at my dealer today but haven't heard whether it arrived or not and I've quit holding my breath.

It's like waiting for Christmas when you were a kid but in this case, you don't know what day Christmas is!
How did you know when the car arrived in the port?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Lisa, GM at Kelly Alfa here, said they had a bunch coming in this week. David down at Central Alfa said similar. I'd say less than 2 weeks ;)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Well my car was supposed to have been at my dealer yesterday, no news.

So I get with my dealer today and says it's still in port waiting for a truck. What BS! Seems the QV's are shipped by enclosed trailer and I guess they don't have any. The regular Giulias are shipped on an open trailer.

I wish everyone here would actually have a signature with a real name attached, I don't understand the secrecy. Rant over but to answer Chipps question- I asked my dealer...

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Hey a local guy!...Congrats...Yes I Saw a MCB QV at Millers on Monday...very sharp!
I service my QV at Miller...bought it in Larchmont....

·
Registered
2,988 Posts

So I get with my dealer today and says it's still in port waiting for a truck. What BS! Seems the QV's are shipped by enclosed trailer and I guess they don't have any. The regular Giulias are shipped on an open trailer.

I wish everyone here would actually have a signature with a real name attached, I don't understand the secrecy. Rant over but to answer Chipps question- I asked my dealer...
Welcome to the world of Alfa Romeo where things happen in Alfa time. Fashionably late, as some call it. It's frustrating, but that's just how it is.

Mobile views don't show signatures or information near the avatar. Outside of the forums, I'm known as Bob. I've managed to be able to use the same log name on all the car forums I'm on. I use 'Racer Z' because my race car is a Datsun 240z. Being a world wide forum, there's little chance I'll ever meet more than a few forum members outside of the car forums. When I do, I'm quick to point out my handle.

Bob from Venice,
Kevin from Canada,
Otto from Germany,

Does it really matter?

The geographic location is more important and informative than the legal name, to me.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
So tad you ordered a QV? Good to know this. I will plan on getting a signature and names and everything. David at Central said that I could order one with a $1000 deposit and if it came with carbon brakes I could say no and get the money back. But then he said nothing of timeline ;) I like the idea of a closed trailer, before any clear wrap is added. mc was mart to do that right away. I wouldn't want it going on that lengthy journey, especially overseas and at highway speeds with out real protection.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
So tad you ordered a QV? Good to know this. I will plan on getting a signature and names and everything. David at Central said that I could order one with a $1000 deposit and if it came with carbon brakes I could say no and get the money back. But then he said nothing of timeline ;) I like the idea of a closed trailer, before any clear wrap is added. mc was smart to do that right away. I wouldn't want it going on that lengthy journey, especially overseas and at highway speeds with out real protection.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hi Bob, I mean Racer Z... I'm tadslc most everywhere. Goes back decades when all you had was AOL. That was my original login name on AOL and I can't think of anything catchier. I'm Tad and my business name is SLC. I try to name my cars and other than my '67 Super (Sponge Bob Square Car) I can't even think of names for my cars so it's Red car, Grey car, Silver car, Duetto, etc.

I've owned Alfas for 44 of my 59 years so I am quite aware of the Alfa ways. I have 7 now, not counting the QV.

Problem is, now a days that won't cut it, too competitive a market place.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Hi Bob, I mean Racer Z... I'm tadslc most everywhere. Goes back decades when all you had was AOL. That was my original login name on AOL and I can't think of anything catchier. I'm Tad and my business name is SLC. I try to name my cars and other than my '67 Super (Sponge Bob Square Car) I can't even think of names for my cars so it's Red car, Grey car, Silver car, Duetto, etc.

I've owned Alfas for 44 of my 59 years so I am quite aware of the Alfa ways. I have 7 now, not counting the QV.

Problem is, now a days that won't cut it, too competitive a market place.
Oh, I agree completely. The only people fool enough to put up with AR's nonsense is us die-hard Alfa guys. People who just want generic transportation won't put up with it and AR will be out of business.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi.

Arrgh.

I'm (quite literally) in/on the same boat. I was told by my dealer on 03/20 that the car was in port waiting to be put on a truck and would arrive in around ten days. After ten days was told they believed the vehicle was in Baltimore and would arrive anytime (emphasis on any). At least my window sticker now shows up in the FCA lookup site (and my Ti is now at the top of the list of vehicles for sale on the dealer's website, which kind of makes me nervous).

So I'm tapping my toes as well, especially since Baltimore is just 100 miles south of here...

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm (quite literally) in/on the same boat. I was told by my dealer on 03/20 that the car was in port waiting to be put on a truck and would arrive in around ten days. After ten days was told they believed the vehicle was in Baltimore and would arrive anytime (emphasis on any). At least my window sticker now shows up in the FCA lookup site (and my Ti is now at the top of the list of vehicles for sale on the dealer's website, which kind of makes me nervous).

So I'm tapping my toes as well, especially since Baltimore is just 100 miles south of here...
I feel your pain. My car is on my dealers website inventory also but at least it has SOLD on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I feel your pain. My car is on my dealers website inventory also but at least it has SOLD on it.
No such luck here. Just a "GET EPRICE" button and grey box that says "This Vehicle is in Transit". The dealer does have my deposit money, though. I'm taking bets on which happens first: the dealer calls to say the car had arrived, or the "This Vehicle is in Transit" drops off the website.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
maybe this helps...but IIRC when the first batch of Alfa QVs hit Baltimore it was sometime in mid-late November....they started to appear in showrooms in mid December (personally mine was at dealer on Dec. 24th.)...so you would have to figure maybe 2-3 weeks from port to your dealer?:confused:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts