Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the brilliant idea to put the brakes in service mode just to see how they retract when parked.
Well, they didn’t retract and now I’m stuck in service mode with this message: “Park brake retracted - to reset, press the brake pedal and activate Park Brake switch”

So of course I tried to do that, and I get “To exit Service Mode, vehicle must not be in motion”
But I’m not in motion!! I get that message either with ignition on or running

Attachments

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Oh well. It's being towed at the dealership where will be looked at (hopefully) tomorrow. Will post the updates.
Thankfully I was in a huge Home Depot parking lot instead of my almost inaccessible apartment spot.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I think service mode just allows the piston to retract when forced, really only useful when doing a brakejob as I believe the caliper is unable to retract because the park brake actuator is walked out.
Very weird though, I can’t say I’ve ever experienced that, on any car, really. If you’re not moving, it should know that, unless maybe you were in gear?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
What if you had disconnected the wiring harness connection(s) to the rear brake calipers?
Or, disconnected the negative battery cable?
Would that reset - release the electric parking brake function?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
"I had the brilliant idea", I love that. I'm the champ at doing something out of curiosity and having it bite me in the butt.

·
Registered
787 Posts
What if you had disconnected the wiring harness connection(s) to the rear brake calipers?
I thought park brake was to all wheels, does anybody know if its all or just rear brakes?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I thought park brake was to all wheels, does anybody know if its all or just rear brakes?
Just the rears.
Old Saab 900s had them on the front calipers.
Just another example of their weirdness.
Back to THIS problem. The brake service mode should only release and prevent the calipers from activating the automatic parking brake feature, so that you can service the rear brake mechanism. For the calipers to STAY locked in the parking brake mode... Must not be getting the signal from the ecu to release.
I am very interested in learning what the problem is here.
Also, if this becomes a common issue, we will need a hack to make a fix while on the road.
Perhaps a jumper wire to send a signal to the calipers to release.
The wire is the easy part, where to connect it, we need to know.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think service mode just allows the piston to retract when forced, really only useful when doing a brakejob as I believe the caliper is unable to retract because the park brake actuator is walked out.
Very weird though, I can’t say I’ve ever experienced that, on any car, really. If you’re not moving, it should know that, unless maybe you were in gear?
Not in gear.. the car was in park when I entered the mode. Then, I tried every single combination to get out of it (gear in P/N/D, engine in off/on/running, pull/push park brake) but the parking brake stayed firmly engaged.

It seems that when brake service mode is on, the controls on the parking brake are deactivated.. which I can understand.
The problems are:
1. the piston never retracted
2. it would not get out of service mode. I also wonder why it thought the car was in motion... maybe a faulty sensor, or maybe related to #1 cause the brakes were still engaged.

I did not go as far as disconnecting the connections to the brakes (I wouldn't know how, and also I had no tools, was in public parking lot) but I did disconnect the battery and unfortunately did not do the trick.

Just the rears.
Back to THIS problem. The brake service mode should only release and prevent the calipers from activating the automatic parking brake feature, so that you can service the rear brake mechanism. For the calipers to STAY locked in the parking brake mode... Must not be getting the signal from the ecu to release.
I am very interested in learning what the problem is here.
Also, if this becomes a common issue, we will need a hack to make a fix while on the road.
Perhaps a jumper wire to send a signal to the calipers to release.
The wire is the easy part, where to connect it, we need to know.
All I feel comfortable to suggest at this point is to be very careful in entering brake service mode.. Chances are I ran in a weird glitch but.. you're warned! Next time I want to retract the brakes, I will go in the settings, disable the auto park engagement, and then park without engaging.

The service guy should contact me back in a few hours. will keep you posted

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@ALFATECH @AlfaAndy
I got my baby back.
The service rep following my case was out sick today so I didn't get a detailed explanation. But from the service report, it seems they tried a bunch of stuff until replacing the parking brake switch that apparently did the trick. I am attaching the report with all the tests performed.
I was told the e-brake was also replaced but I do not see that in the report.
From now on I'll stay the **** away from brake service mode!
On a side note, my loaner was a Mercedes CLA 250 that was a nice ride but not nearly as engaging as the Giulia. Quality of interiors was also much lower.

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
Nice, i dont see where they replaced the e-brake though, just see the switch...regardless im glad its all fixed.....seems to me that the switch must have had an internal fault.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,478 Posts
Just the rears.
The reason SAAB called it an "emergency brake" rather than a parking brake.

I found SAAB's weirdness engaging and miss their innovative, often singular, approaches.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The reason SAAB called it an "emergency brake" rather than a parking brake.

I found SAAB's weirdness engaging and miss their innovative, often singular, approaches.
To begin, the problem of the locked brakes on the Giulia being a malfunctioning parking brake switch, makes sense. Is it just coincidence that it malfunctioned after the rear calipers were put in service mode?? Will this become a frequent malfunction for Giulias?? If so, we need a hack to release the brakes! Pull a relay, jump two wires??

As for Saabs, for me it was a love-hate (like-dislike) relationship. I never owned one, but worked on many. Mostly 900's and 9000's. I swear, their direction was: All (most) other manufacturers do it this way, we are going to do it another way, for better, or worse! Those cars were full of instances where, if you didn't know the secret handshake, you just weren't going to get the job done.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To begin, the problem of the locked brakes on the Giulia being a malfunctioning parking brake switch, makes sense. Is it just coincidence that it malfunctioned after the rear calipers were put in service mode?? Will this become a frequent malfunction for Giulias?? If so, we need a hack to release the brakes! Pull a relay, jump two wires??

I don’t think it was a coincidence at all, since it was working until right before. Whatever combination of variables I was in (ecm version, abs module version, ignition status, parking brake status, brake pedal status, entering brake service mode) triggered a glitch.
Now I don’t know if that glitch fried my switch or it was just the system that was stuck and reset itself after seeing a new switch. But I am fairly sure that the switch was the symptom, not the cause.
I doubt you guys would incur in the same issue but... do you feel brave enough to test it? I’m done testing it that’s for sure:)
Also, I do not know how the tech manually unlocked the brakes, it says “power applied” so I do think he jumped a wire.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,744 Posts
I don’t think it was a coincidence at all, since it was working until right before. Whatever combination of variables I was in (ecm version, abs module version, ignition status, parking brake status, brake pedal status, entering brake service mode) triggered a glitch.
Now I don’t know if that glitch fried my switch or it was just the system that was stuck and reset itself after seeing a new switch. But I am fairly sure that the switch was the symptom, not the cause.
I doubt you guys would incur in the same issue but... do you feel brave enough to test it? I’m done testing it that’s for sure:)
Also, I do not know how the tech manually unlocked the brakes, it says “power applied” so I do think he jumped a wire.
What are the chances that service mode runs some current through your parking brake switch in a fashion that is otherwise not utilized? If so, there is the possibility that the switch was simply defective and burned out when the service mode was requested. Some study of the wiring would be necessary to improve/disprove this guess.

In the process of checking out things in my car I have found that doing anything "unusual" seems to confuse the car.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I’ll look into the wiring on Tuesday to try and make sense of this. But yes, usually it will apply power one way to lock, and then reverse it to unlock.

Reactions: Il_Conte

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I’ll look into the wiring on Tuesday to try and make sense of this. But yes, usually it will apply power one way to lock, and then reverse it to unlock.
I have used the BRAKE SERVICE MODE on other vehicles.
My belief is that the MODE over-rides the automatic command to apply the parking brake when the engine is turned off, transmission placed in Park, etc. This is required so that the brake pads can be removed, as well as other service to the effected calipers, rotors, etc.
How this "unlocking" is performed, I don't know. Perhaps the signal runs through the parking brake finger switch on the console. If so, I would think that it would simply engage the function to release the brakes and then would either block the signal to reengage, or the p-brake ECU(?) would then know NOT to send the signal to reapply the p-brake. Either way, the fact that replacing the finger switch cured the problem gives pause.
I would like to know how the tech unlocked the brakes (without a working finger switch).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the brilliant idea to put the brakes in service mode just to see how they retract when parked.
Well, they didn’t retract and now I’m stuck in service mode with this message: “Park brake retracted - to reset, press the brake pedal and activate Park Brake switch”

So of course I tried to do that, and I get “To exit Service Mode, vehicle must not be in motion”
But I’m not in motion!! I get that message either with ignition on or running
I am having a similar issue, though it is occurring midway through a brake service. Drive side rear pads are swapped. Now went to do passenger side and I can't get the parking break to disengage. Gives me same error that you have shown as well as "service parking break error." Currently, car is sitting with one set of new pads, and locked up brake on other side. Any idea how your tech manually disengaged the parking break?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am having a similar issue, though it is occurring midway through a brake service. Drive side rear pads are swapped. Now went to do passenger side and I can't get the parking break to disengage. Gives me same error that you have shown as well as "service parking break error." Currently, car is sitting with one set of new pads, and locked up brake on other side. Any idea how your tech manually disengaged the parking break?

Many thanks!
Sorry no idea... I had to tow the car to the dealer on a flatbed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Got the electronic parking brake retracted. For those with "stuck" epb and out of options, I made 2 leads. At one end, large alligator clips to connect to car battery, other end, small INSULATED splicing terminal. Connect leads to battery of a separate vehicle first and use insulated terminal ends to supply power directly to epb power terminals. You will have to unplug female terminal of epb obviously. To remove that terminal, pull gray tab out toward you (without breaking it) then push it downward to unlock the clip and pull toward you. This will expose the + /- connection to the motor for the epb. You should hear the motor wind back when you so this, let open all the way. You may have to inverse the +/- to get motor to spin in correct direction. If this doesn't make sense,do not attempt it...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts