Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I was excited because I was finally going to take the Giulia (Ti Sport Q4) on a beautiful day trip down some incredible roads to Naples, NY (from just outside Rochester), essentially taking a scenic tour of the countryside along Canandaigua Lake (Finger Lakes region). It could not have worked out better because I went with a group that included one of my cousins and four friends, and we all took our cars. Felt like an entourage-version of Top Gear almost. The weather cooperated beautifully as well as it was a perfect 78 degrees with minimal humidity. We visited a beautiful bar with a lakeside view and then had dinner at Bristol Harbor overlooking the lake. Could not have been a more picturesque day.

So I had my Giulia, my cousin his 335i convertible, and then my friends came with a new Civic Si, a 135i coupe, and the last of the V8 M-3s. We were all stoked and this was my first time taking a day trip with fellow car lovers down some absolutely brilliant roads, passing through some beautiful areas no less. We even had two-way radios for fun. Missing was one friend with a 435i coupe. The Giulia was the prettiest looking vehicle there by a considerable margin. The 335i convertible did look quite nice in the beautiful summer sun.

As for the nitty gritty, the Giulia is just sublime in twisty chicanes with elevation changes. Yes, it's fun to blast it down a long straight but this car comes alive like no other taking on some twisty roads. Honestly, this is the sportiest car I've ever owned personally so I'm still giddy with excitement as I'm laying in bed. The chassis control and direct steering of this car are just brilliant. It's like she keeps begging me to push harder. The AWD system is brilliant. It only really comes alive when I really push hard through some chicanes and tight hairpins.

Only downside is the Pirelli P7 all-seasons. It didn't take too much (maybe pushing about 50-60%) to get tire squeal. I would love to experience this exact same drive with some Michelin super-softs or Pirelli P Zero Corsas. Seeing as this was a route we just decided to take this week none of us really went all out (maybe 75-80%). The P7's are adequate tires at best it seems. And another minor downside is the relative timidity of the engine note. It certainly prowls in D mode, but I had a tuned M3, tuned Civic Si and 335i around me so it was sometimes difficult to really "feel" the engine notes.

Still, I have utter confidence in this machine as it's absolutely wonderful. That was some of the most addicting driving I've ever done and all I want to do is plan the next day trip for the gang (we all had a blast). We're looking to head out again together at least 1-2 more times before winter. I've never been so joyed getting behind the wheel of a car like this one. I respect BMW, but to me this is the ultimate driving machine. I can't even imagine what it'd be like with sticky summer tires and the EC air intake and Phase 1 tune. Plus, I'm debating on adding the carbon fiber rear spoiler. I'm 50/50 on a decision. I'd rather put the intake in it first to get a sexier engine note. Plus I don't want to be the "poser" who tries to make his car look identical to the QV. First world problems.

The Alfa Romeo virus is strong with this one.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Although a 4cyl Ti will never equal the sound of an E90 M3's V8, it's nonetheless exhaust over intake when it comes to modding order for the Giulia, IMO. A nice sounding exhaust enhances every driving moment, which I don't think is the case with intake mods.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,153 Posts
I've got Michelin A/S 3+ in 245 35ZR19 (non-ZP) mounted on 19x8.5 Tecnico wheels on each corner of my Q4. It's a little spendy but a marked improvement on every performance parameter over the stock setup.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Great road trip and a nice write up about the experience. Personally, I am finding the P7's pretty decent for RFT's, fairly comfortable and reasonable grip in varying road conditions. I too have a Q4 ti Sport but haven't yet had an opportunity to really drive the car to it's limits. It will also be interesting to see how these tires do on slush and snow when winter comes. Anyway, I'm not going to replace them until they are worn out, then I may take a close look at the alternatives and there seems to be several threads on the subject of tire choices.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Sounds like a blast! I actually like that the all seasons squeal well before the limit as it lets me know when I'm getting close, and with the confidence the Giulia gives me, I know I can push it harder if I want to. I think I sustained about 0.9Gs through a hairpin which is really impressive for all season tires.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Very cool read. I'm not far in Fairport and have found the drive to Ithaca fun, but will have to make it to Naples some time.

I hear you on the all seasons. I thought they felt okay-ish, but looked them up on Tirerack and found a lot of people complain about blowing out multiple tires inside of 20K miles. Between the potential replacement cost of nearly 300 bucks each and the mediocre performance, I ordered and installed a set of Firestone Firehawk Indy summer tires. Only paid ~420 bucks for the set including the rebate (plus mount and balance) and now the car handles like it's on rails. They're a really solid summer tire and a deal at twice the price. I figure I'll have my fun and return my lease with the original runflats.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it's nonetheless exhaust over intake when it comes to modding order for the Giulia, IMO. A nice sounding exhaust enhances every driving moment, which I don't think is the case with intake mods.

I've spoken with others who installed the Centerline Corsa exhaust on theirs and have said while it definitely emotes a bass-y sound it can become tiresome on longer journeys (non-speeding ones). I was checking out the EC website for the intake and tune and I've definitely become interested. Stuff to think about to be sure.

Great road trip and a nice write up about the experience. Personally, I am finding the P7's pretty decent for RFT's, fairly comfortable and reasonable grip in varying road conditions. I too have a Q4 ti Sport but haven't yet had an opportunity to really drive the car to it's limits. It will also be interesting to see how these tires do on slush and snow when winter comes. Anyway, I'm not going to replace them until they are worn out, then I may take a close look at the alternatives and there seems to be several threads on the subject of tire choices.

Get ready to have some addicting fun. All you'll be doing afterward is contemplating the next sporty road trip. The P7's like I said initially are adequate and perfectly fine. I took a very long distance road trip around Lake Ontario to Montreal and the ride was perfectly comfortable. I'm personally not going to be driving the Giulia much during the winter. Maybe only on days it doesn't snow to work the engine and go for a quick five minute spin.

Sounds like a blast! I actually like that the all seasons squeal well before the limit as it lets me know when I'm getting close, and with the confidence the Giulia gives me, I know I can push it harder if I want to. I think I sustained about 0.9Gs through a hairpin which is really impressive for all season tires.

Two of my most taxing turns were an elevated chicane and a right-turning hairpin and I think I hit 0.84Gs for one and just below that for the other. The tire squeal wasn't awful at all, actually, it was relatively light and in sputters. The P7s handled the spirited drive well enough. I think because I was following my buddy with the E90 M3 with Michelin Supersofts my reaction is a bit jaded. Same goes for the exhaust note, seeing as I had his V8 symphony playing a concerto in front of me a majority of the way down.

Very cool read. I'm not far in Fairport and have found the drive to Ithaca fun, but will have to make it to Naples some time.

I hear you on the all seasons. I thought they felt okay-ish, but looked them up on Tirerack and found a lot of people complain about blowing out multiple tires inside of 20K miles. Between the potential replacement cost of nearly 300 bucks each and the mediocre performance, I ordered and installed a set of Firestone Firehawk Indy summer tires. Only paid ~420 bucks for the set including the rebate (plus mount and balance) and now the car handles like it's on rails. They're a really solid summer tire and a deal at twice the price. I figure I'll have my fun and return my lease with the original runflats.

Nice! I live in Penfield near Fairport in the 441/250 area. What color is your Giulia? I've seen a black one and a gray one consistently around this area. Naples is a nice town there are some very cool wineries in that area. The drive down is sublime I highly recommend it. Ithaca is quite a scenic town. Taking the roads on and around route 5/20 are way more fun than the snoozefest that is I90 Thruway.

Also you're not the first to recommend the Firehawk Indys. I'll have to look into them more.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I've spoken with others who installed the Centerline Corsa exhaust on theirs and have said while it definitely emotes a bass-y sound it can become tiresome on longer journeys (non-speeding ones). I was checking out the EC website for the intake and tune and I've definitely become interested. Stuff to think about to be sure.
Of course the Centerline Corsa is not the only exhaust system out there, nor the only one which improves the sound.

I've got the Remus axle-back, thinking of adding the open center section to make it a cat-back and get a bit more sound pressure out of it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The kid in the 135i was leading the pack because he had the directions for the route, and acquitted himself quite well in that little bimmer. The 335i was my cousin behind me. I beat the 335i in a drag race but having AWD and over 400lbs less weight helps. We were all moving quite well actually and stayed within a couple of cars' distance of each other.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Also you're not the first to recommend the Firehawk Indys. I'll have to look into them more.
I don't have a Giulia yet, but I put these tires on my Taurus SHO and wow what a difference. This was after grinding some Michelin Primacy's into powder. My understanding is these tires are sold in Europe under the Bridgestone flag as a racing tire. They're awesome on a car that's a land yacht compared to the Giulia. By far they were the best deal on a high performance tire and I've had literally no disappointments with them.

Sounds like you had an awesome car driving day OP. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
2018 Giulia TI Sport Q2
275 Posts
That is a great story. I would love to get some other Giulia's together and go for a group drive but I can't seem to find any in this area. I did go for a spirited drive on some corners today and opened her up. This car reminds me of my beloved S2000 in the corners. It is so tossible and the steering is spot on. The dynamic dampers, staggered wheels, and LSD make this car feel so good in the corners. The seats are outstanding and the car shifts so quickly in manual mode. I really wanted another manual car but this thing is a blast.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As far as hard numbers with speed, I'd say through the twisty bits we were really pushing it and averaged a good 55-65 mph (including super sharp turns and street changes). There were an unusual (and pleasant) amount of quick sweeping S-turn chicanes where we flew threw hitting 70+ mph. Was euphoric. Highest speed I hit was 118mph if I remember right down a long straight. The M3 hit nearly 140, but had to slow down because the 135i didn't push further. I had the Civic Si brake in front of me so I couldn't go faster. Straight line speed is great but I'll take windy hairpins and chicanes all day.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Nice drive report QVerde27 !

I highly recommend the EC Phase 1 tune. I have the tune, the Corsa exhaust and a simple drop-in BMC filter. My ti with the Performance Package and these add-on's are pretty much all I think I'm going to do for awhile. The car is really in a sweet spot right now. No question the exhaust is a bit bassy and loud OUTSIDE compared to the stock setup, but I don't find it too much. I cruise on the interstates at 8o+ out here in the West and there is a bit of drone at those RPM's, but it's pretty minimal. I asked various passengers what they thought and everyone seemed comfortable with the sound and the ride. I'm not sure the sound is much different than other after market exhaust systems? I have heard that Madness Autoworks offers two different systems and one is a bit milder than the other, but sounds quite good. It's hard to know without really having several systems side by side to drive and listen to. All in all the Giulia has a pretty quiet cabin, even with the Corsa exhaust. When you step on it though, the exhaust really opens up :) !

If I was going to do just one mod on a new Giulia, it would be the EC Tune.. it has made the biggest performance difference on my Giulia for sure !

Have fun!

Tony

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,153 Posts
The kid in the 135i was leading the pack because he had the directions for the route, and acquitted himself quite well in that little bimmer. The 335i was my cousin behind me. I beat the 335i in a drag race but having AWD and over 400lbs less weight helps. We were all moving quite well actually and stayed within a couple of cars' distance of each other.
At least according to the manufacturer's specifications a BMW 335i and an Alfa Giulia 2.0T RWD are very similar in weight at about 3500 pounds. What is the basis for saying there is a 400lb difference (more people in the BMW?)?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts